Speech Synthesis

Just wondering if it would be possible to port something such as http://emotion-research.net/publicnews/humaine_news_item.2006-02-14.9417432557/view or any similar/better progams.

Thanks.

Your link isn't working for me so I don't know what that program is, but I tried Festival as sebt3 suggested and it compiled no probs. I've mainly tested it out by making my pandora say swear words to be honest. I'll try and PND it up if you like (I need to read up on setting the voice path).

Does Dr. Sbaitso run in DosBox? :lol:

Would be cool to have a chatterbot with text-to-speech on the Pandora ...

There is an espeak package in the Angstrom repo. AFAIK it's just command line tool/shared library.

Edit: For oldschool synth voice I can recomend stpeech which can be run in Hatari.

Edit2: Updated youtube link - stspeech download link is next to the video description.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Dr. Sbaitso run in DosBox? :lol:

Would be cool to have a chatterbot with text-to-speech on the Pandora ...
Well, it runs in DOSBox on any other system, so chances are it will work fine on the Pandora, as well!

For the record, I would love to see a video of this, if anyone's thinking of it. :lol: Dr. Sbaitso is quite entertaining.

Ah Dr. Spaitso always wanting to talk about Sexy Stuff. He made buying my Soundblaster worth every penny.

There is an espeak package in the Angstrom repo. AFAIK it's just command line tool/shared library.

Edit: For oldschool synth voice I can recomend stpeech which can be run in Hatari.

Edit2: Updated youtube link - stspeech download link is next to the video description.

+1

the advantage of your link (espeak) is the compatibility with many languages.

More people can benefit and not only english speakers people. ;)

Oh okay. I just tested out espeak too. I'll add it to the festival pnd and then folks can choose whichever they want.

Oh ... I'm too slow. I see flite has been added to the repo (http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=flite-32492). This is probably a better fit for the pandora than festival (flite = festival lite). Festival only works well with the default low-quality voice anyways - I tried Multisyn and HTS voices, which sounded a lot better, but took ages to initialise (Mulitsyn) or ages just to say each sentence (HTS).

Back