Squidgesnes 0.38

As for loading roms from command line...
At first it didn't work anymore for me, so I started it normally and all was god, than I changed some settings in the emu. After that command line returned to work.

BTW the README is still wrong, saying that you have to use loadrom=... instead of load=...

Ah Brilliant, a SNES update :D Thanks Notaz!
Do I read this right and that you can set the overclock from the menu... I'm very excied by this and will be dling as quick as I can :)

notaz posted on Oct 17 2006 at 08:26 AM said:
gaterooze posted on Oct 17 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
Whenever you load a rom which has been hacked with a cheat trainer which allows you to choose which level to begin on, no matter what you choose the game always starts on the final level. This also happened in v0.37.
What ROM? Which hack?

These are two that it happens in:

Castlevania - Vampire's Kiss (E) [t1].smc
Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (J) [t3].smc

gaterooze posted on Oct 17 2006 at 10:31 AM said:
Equinox has sprite layers slightly wrong. Your character sometimes appears in front of objects when he is really behind them.
But the sprite priority change fixed more games then it broke? In general, I should not revert the change, or should I?

No, it's definitely MUCH better now. Equinox is the only game I've found so far with an issue (apart from transparencies), whereas in the previous version several games had priority problems.

btw, the GoodSNES rom name is:

Equinox (U).smc

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems good so far, only tested Mario World and Mario Kart.

Mario World ran at full speed, seemed perfect. 250MHz, non-scaled, memhacks on etc

Mario Kart was about 20fps, but extremely playable with the same settings as above.

i'm running squidgesnes hack 0.37c with the ram timings script gaterooze setup for me at the moment. Clocked at 250mhz most games run fine....apart from anything that is mode 7 or super FX chip enabled. Anyone got something like pilotwings to go higher than 5fps with notaz' version?

Mario kart is unplayable too, unless your just in time trial mode.

Also, is large rom support going to be looked at? Super mario RPG and Yoshis island still dont work.

The sound on this emu is very dodgy too, cant handle bass or something.

Good to see someone is looking at it though, what with notaz and puck2099 on the case it should be great within a couple of months.

Here's another issue: in Gradius 3 US version, when you're trying to select a type for your ship, the other types are invisible instead of grayed out until you highlight them.

Warning! Joke bug report ahead! This is NOT a software related bug!

Bug: Notaz does not have Guru status yet.
Fix: Someone give him Guru status.

In other words: awesome! First awesome very fast Picodrive, and now an update to SquidgeSNES that fixes a few sprite ordering bugs! Awesome! :)

Some comments:

-In general the performance has go better (like 4 frames i think, except a few games like have a +20 frames performance like Coolspot for example)

-Mario Kart gets less fps, like 4 less.

-Is better that you desactive fpslimiter (i refer people who don´t turn it off), things go better with that option off.

-Craigix´s ram hack makes a lot of games hangs ramdomsly.If you turn it off the problem desappears, but you will loose like 5 frames in the performance.

-In some games the picture is not center, but is no t a problem, you won´t loose a pixel of the game.It´s only that is not centered.

-I think tha mode 7 perfomance has go down a bit, like 4 or 5 frames.

-Sprite problems have no dessapear at all:You can see in Equinox and Mario Kart map screen.Other games the problem have been solved.

Thank you Notaz, the emu is going better now in some games :)
Good work, i will be waiting next release.
Sorry for my english, i can´t expalin what i want to say correctly I suppose.

- full screen scaling = off
- showfps = on
- frameskip = 0
- craig x's ram timings = on
- audio processor = enable
- overclock = 270

Crono Trigger (oh the joy!)

Titlescreen 15-16 fps
Ingame 30-60 fps (greate work!)

+FPS is so much better!
+Better options!
-Freaky sprites in CTrigger, sometimes after a fight, the sprites gets alot of random sprites around them, wich seem to have a negative impact on fps. Though, after entering meny in game, everything is normal again.

Very nice work!

Super Metroid Transparency Issue:

It's on the 2nd level, after Cirrus Station.

Just keep going down the level and you'll eventually hit a section that is completely black. I tested the same level on SnesGP2X and it was fine. Probably just transparancies being disabled.

Wow, you even did a "to do" list as well.

:ph34r:

My Ninja clan honors you.

:D

rmatheso posted on Oct 17 2006 at 11:03 AM said:
I tested the same level on SnesGP2X and it was fine. Probably just transparancies being disabled.

FYI you can test (in any game) whether it is a transparency issue by turning the Transhack option on or pressing Vol+ & Vol- together with A/B/X/Y to turn on or off individual layers.

gaterooze posted on Oct 17 2006 at 12:50 PM said:
I tested the same level on SnesGP2X and it was fine. Probably just transparancies being disabled.

FYI you can test (in any game) whether it is a transparency issue by turning the Transhack option on or pressing Vol+ & Vol- together with A/B/X/Y to turn on or off individual layers.

when i press volume + or - and a/b/x or y it never works, i tried it on chrono trigger. Nothing appears to happen.

gaterooze posted on Oct 17 2006 at 05:50 AM said:

Tried the Transhack. It does nothing to the black level. Just makes the rest of the game look all scanliney.

drokkeh posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:34 PM said:
Also, is large rom support going to be looked at? Super mario RPG and Yoshis island still dont work.

Yoshi's Island has special chip, I seem to recall, not sure about SMRPG.

drokkeh posted on Oct 17 2006 at 02:12 PM said:
when i press volume + or - and a/b/x or y it never works, i tried it on chrono trigger. Nothing appears to happen.

It's vol+ AND vol-, not vol+ or vol-

Ryo posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:20 PM said:
drokkeh posted on Oct 17 2006 at 02:12 PM said:

It's vol+ AND vol-, not vol+ or vol-

Doh! thanks...

Are we ever going to see the emu full scfreen or is it always going to look its best with the border? I.e picodrive looks fine full screen but i guess thats a different issue.

How much harder is the snes emulation than the megadrive? Is it because of the Mode 7 and super FX things aswell?

rmatheso posted on Oct 17 2006 at 05:45 AM said:
Yeah at sound is tiny bit glitchy and isn't perfect. But it is very good!
The screen "shudders" every now and then.
Autoframeskip seems to be forced on.
I know some people hate the fullscreen. Anyway to make it a bit less blocky? Perhaps resizing and cropping it to get a better pixel ratio?

Huge improvement on the emu.

I'm impressed.

The sound is ok in Super Mario World but is very crackly in Castlevania IV and most other games, maybe related to speed since SMW runs faster?

Sometimes the sound will pan to one side and then go back to centered. I have had this happen in other emus like DrMD too.

I get the screen shutter (the image will flinch now and then) on alot of different emus. Maybe a Firmware/hardware/linux issue?

The reason scaling is blocky is that it doubles some pixels while leaving others at 1:1. It is fractional scaling and yes it looks "blocky" which is why some of us hate it, it looks like crap. There is nothing you can do because you can't have half a pixel an LCD is a fixed pixel display, so you double every 10 pixels or so and it looks ugly.

drokkeh posted on Oct 17 2006 at 02:38 AM said:
How much harder is the snes emulation than the megadrive? Is it because of the Mode 7 and super FX things aswell?
Mode 7 is a background layer mode, whereas SuperFX is a special chip used only in certain games (Pilotwings, Starfox, etc...). As for how hard it is, though the Megadrive had a beefier processor, it had less special chips and more hardware documentation. The SNES had a weaker processor but it had specialized proprietary chips for sound and video.

Back