Squidgesnes 0.38

Would it be hard to emulate the special-chips used in some Games, or didn´t any of the developers think of that yet? I´ve been waiting for Kirby and yoshi´s Island2 for months now. Any ideas? :huh:

i wanna say YAY ! :eek:

i'm checking it now !!! :)

ok first "bug" , i have my roms in the /roms/snes folder, they were found before,

now i have to put them in squidgesnes folder, less flexible, was better anywhere like before :D(so each emu doesn't need the same roms in different places etc :p )

mtracy posted on Oct 17 2006 at 10:38 AM said:
Would it be hard to emulate the special-chips used in some Games, or didn´t any of the developers think of that yet? I´ve been waiting for Kirby and yoshi´s Island2 for months now. Any ideas? :huh:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love newbs, even those who are newbs at heart (flamewar?? I don't want to rip him a new one, anybody else?)

Generally, it has been deemed that the GP2X doesn't have enough processing power (or it is too difficult to program) to make an attempt at it yet, but someday someone might give it a go.

Edit:
Any ideas? :huh:
Yeah, do it yourself :D

Last edited by a moderator:
nik166 posted on Oct 17 2006 at 06:43 PM said:
ok first "bug" , i have my roms in the /roms/snes folder, they were found before,

now i have to put them in squidgesnes folder, less flexible, was better anywhere like before :D(so each emu doesn't need the same roms in different places etc :p )
It's not a bug, you have to check 'Use absolute ROM path' in settings.

Rivroner posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:55 PM said:
-In some games the picture is not center, but is no t a problem, you won´t loose a pixel of the game.It´s only that is not centered.
Examples?

nubie posted on Oct 17 2006 at 08:57 PM said:
I love newbs, even those who are newbs at heart (flamewar?? I don't want to rip him a new one, anybody else?)
Please, don't start such things in this thread, don't waste my time by making me read useless rant

rmatheso posted on Oct 17 2006 at 11:03 AM said:
Super Metroid Transparency Issue:

It's on the 2nd level, after Cirrus Station.

Just keep going down the level and you'll eventually hit a section that is completely black. I tested the same level on SnesGP2X and it was fine. Probably just transparancies being disabled.

It is definitely transparency issue, disabling the foremost layer fixes the black room. However, the energy bars and other stuff on the top also disappears. Not a very big deal, because only a minority of rooms use transparencies. I actually finished Super Metroid by turning off the foreground when needed.

But still, it would be greatly appreciated if transparencies can be fixed :)

edit: BTW, thanks Notaz, you are doing really magnificent work.

gokalp posted on Oct 17 2006 at 02:52 PM said:

Just keep going down the level and you'll eventually hit a section that is completely black. I tested the same level on SnesGP2X and it was fine. Probably just transparancies being disabled.

It is definitely transparency issue, disabling the foremost layer fixes the black room. However, the energy bars and other stuff on the top also disappears. Not a very big deal, because only a minority of rooms use transparencies. I actually finished Super Metroid by turning off the foreground when needed.

If you want transparencies fixed (and the save states still WORK), you can use nkSNES. It has overclock as well, go play that when you need it.

Shikaku posted on Oct 17 2006 at 08:06 PM said:
gokalp posted on Oct 17 2006 at 02:52 PM said:

If you want transparencies fixed (and the save states still WORK), you can use nkSNES. It has overclock as well, go play that when you need it.

I replaced the old .gpe with the new one and now I just get a white screen whenever I try and load a new ROM...

DaveC posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:11 PM said:
I get the screen shutter (the image will flinch now and then) on alot of different emus. Maybe a Firmware/hardware/linux issue?

Is this related to the MMU hack? I don't remember it happening as much before that.

crimsonnight posted on Oct 17 2006 at 09:46 PM said:
I replaced the old .gpe with the new one and now I just get a white screen whenever I try and load a new ROM...

Same here, but i get a very colorful screen.

notaz posted on Oct 17 2006 at 06:23 PM said:
Rivroner posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:55 PM said:
-In some games the picture is not center, but is no t a problem, you won´t loose a pixel of the game.It´s only that is not centered.
Examples?

I have noticed this in:

Archer MacLean's Dropzone (E) [!].smc
Castlevania - Vampire's Kiss (E) [t1].smc
Donkey Kong Country (E) (V1.0) [f2][h2C].smc

hackgrid posted on Oct 17 2006 at 08:52 PM said:
crimsonnight posted on Oct 17 2006 at 09:46 PM said:

Same here, but i get a very colorful screen.
Try a fresh install.. worked fine for me.

Fantastic! Squidgesnes is being worked on again! Nice you! Ill test the games I have and see if they produce any bugs.

The Street Fighter Alpha 2 problem is due to a special chip, the S-DD1:

Code:
The S-DD1 chip is a powerful ASIC decompressor made by Nintendo for use in some Super Nintendo Entertainment System Game Paks. Designed to handle data compressed by ABS Lossless Entropy Algorithm, a form of arithmetic coding developed by Ricoh, its use was necessary in games where massive amounts of sprite data had to be compressed with a 32 or 48 megabit data limit in mind. This data is decompressed on-the-fly by the S-DD1 and given directly to the picture processing unit.

The S-DD1 mediates between the Super NES's core CPU (the Ricoh 5A22) and the game's ROM via two buses. However, the controlling 5A22 processor may still request normal, uncompressed data from the game's ROM even if the S-DD1 is already busy with a decompression operation. This form of parallelism allows sprite data to be decompressed while other types of data are quickly passed to the main CPU.
[edit]

List of games that use the S-DD1 chip:
(1996) Star Ocean
(1996) Street Fighter Alpha 2

I remember PC emulators had to deal with this by using graphics dumps from the ROM.

Same problem with the white screen for me, but it happens when I exit the game back to GMenu2x. I tried to use the nrtm command line arg and the wrapper function with Gmenu to no avail.

Question... when I overclock with Gmenu2x does the OC reset to whatever the setting is in Squidgesnes? I would prefer if it would stay clocked where it was clocked when I launched it instead of having to change it from the program interface every time.

Back