Star Wars The Force Awakens Comic Con 2015 Reel

JJ's Star Trek reboot was rather awesome(at least in my opinion), and one of my favorite movies of the last 5 years. Hopefully that same love and care will come to Star Wars, As he has much bigger shoes to fill this time around. If he "F**ks this up, he may become more hated than Lucas himself :p
Many Star Trek fans, myself included, don't consider them a part of the series.  He messed up a lot, and the feel is all wrong.  I think he will do much better with Star Wars, which is a series he has stated he actually likes.  I am not a Star Wars fan, so I could be wrong (SW fans may be as picky as ST fans).

JJ's Star Trek reboot was rather awesome(at least in my opinion),
Except it has nothing to do with the old Star Treks :p

For me JJ is "Lost" after what he did with the show of the same name. Yeah "lost" was complete bullshit after the first season, and the end was just a massive disappointment - that's how bad JJ is. I have no love and no hope for the man. 

PS: and hey. he's a Mac Lover. Sums it up. 
Are you only in to the original series, or do you like all things ST(STnG, DS9, ECT.)?

A good friend of mine is a HUGE original series fan, and could tell what episode was coming on after only watching 1-2 seconds of the opening scene. To get that good, you've watched ST way more than most. Once he saw the reboot, he didn't know what to think. On one hand I think he enjoyed it, but on the other some key things changed, and he didn't like that. I haven't spoke to him almost since that movie came out, so I don't know if his opinion has changed over the years, but I would be curious as to which side he ended up.

I love STnG, but only ever really liked a few episodes of the original series. So for me, it makes no difference if they changed history or not in the reboot, I just liked the movie for what it was.

Will some key history or point's of interest get changed in these new SW movies? Probably. But there is no way anything JJ does currently will ever be as bad as what Lucas did. Damn those new episodes sucked ass. After all is said and done, I currently have no plans to go see this new SW movie. If feedback is good at release, I may give it a shot, but for me personally, I would rather Disney just release digital versions of episodes 4-6 "UNEDITED", and they could stop any and all SW production at that point, and I would be happy.

Chris
I grew up with TNG, then moved on to Voyager since there was something unappealing to me about DS9 at the time (I did watch it from time to time, though).  I eventually went back and watched DS9 straight through.  All TOS and TNG films have been a major part of my ST viewing and history.  I watched a bit of Enterprise when it was new (I think the Borg episode was my first, and every time I sat down to watch it on TV it seemed it was that episode), and a few years ago watched it all.  

In fact, the only ones I may not have seen all of are TOS and TAS.  I have seen many episodes of TNG more than most sane people would, and I have seen much of Voyager several times as well.  I can't even give a number of viewings of the films since I will probably turn one on if they are on and there isn't something else I have been waiting to see on TV, and I sometimes just want to watch them (more often TNG ones).  There are a few episodes of DS9 and Enterprise I have seen several times.  

I have noticed that certain things about early TNG feels a bit like TOS.  I can't explain it, but it seems some of the writing, effects, camera work and filming, even the costumes, have more of the original feel.  That was mostly before my time, and is not what hooked me.  I still acknowledge and appreciate TOS for the backstory and creating the series/universe.  I appreciate, but don't feel as connected to, the social commentary and some of the deeper topics they dealt with, although others are still as strong today as back then.  Even though after a couple seasons of TNG things got a bit more polished, which carried through all of the others, I wouldn't say that they got a sterile look.  The look and feel (plus some of the changes to writing) are what I like, and yet I can see the continuation from TOS.  I know they have gone back and cleaned up some stuff in TOS, although I can't speak on if this makes it closer to the look and feel of later series (but they were decades apart in real time, and even longer in the timeline of the series, so they shouldn't feel identical).

This is not the case with the new ST films.  They don't have the look or feel at all.  They have the idea of TOS characters, but everything else is wrong.  These are action movies with big special effects.  Those help, but are not vital to ST, as seen in TOS and early TNG.  Everything else must be right first, imo (consider NCC 1701-E, it works but is a bit flashier/sleeker/serious).  I think they were good to bring new people in and to keep ST alive, but I think there were much better ways to do it (some involving actors and characters from the TV series).  Really it comes down to the new films having too much attention paid to unimportant stuff from the perspective of real ST, and not enough attention on what really made the series.  It is unfortunate that Nimoy was involved to try to tie it all together, so many of us just view it as an alternate universe/timeline (although far inferior to what occurs in the mirror universe, and doesn't compare to the main one).

As for the continuity of the timeline, there were minor mistakes made here and there.  Nothing that I recall was too far off.  There were much more significant errors within individual episodes.  You also have to remember that the new films are supposed to take place in a universe with identical rules and physics of the others, and is supposed to be at around the same level of technological development as TOS, yet they threw that idea away (I can't remember details atm, just that some things seemed very far off in the second one (aside from the obvious...), specifically with a scene or two related to transporters.  My comment at the time was "then why did they bother building starships?").  The new stuff is for mass appeal, not ST fans.

I don't know how much Abrams will change SW.  He is a fan, so he will probably try to keep it on track.  Did he follow through with what other fans want, or did he continue to follow his own plan?  Even if he did his own thing it may fit in with what most fans want.  Since I am not really into SW I don't know what the major problems in the past have been, or what could do to piss more fans off.

I think where all ST and SW fans can come together (in addition to hating Abrams if he fucks up the new SW stuff) is that if these series are to continue to grow we have to accept that there will be some changes and additional material we dislike.  For ST fans this does include the Abrams films, and they can be shoved to the side like other stuff that isn't a major part of ST.  ST allows for things to be malleable internally through various means, plus it is still set in the future, which can be changed.  I don't know if SW fans can look at it the way ST fans can since it all happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

But there is no way anything JJ does currently will ever be as bad as what Lucas did.
Probably. But Lucas has killed all interest in star wars, and the fact that they are re-using the old actors in these sequels (even for a few cameos) is just plain ridiculous. Harrison ford close to 80s wearing Han Solo clothes just sucks ball and makes him look like a senile old man more than anything else. If JJ did it on purpose, he is just evil :p
I dont care if it makes sense years wise. Carrie Fischer looks like she rather belongs in the walking dead than star wars. They had their time of glory let them retire without shame.

PS : at least for Carrie Fischer and Mark Hamill, since Harisson Ford has already burned as much shame as he could with Indiana Jones 4.
Hey, leave Indy alone.

Still on-topic, but off at a slight tangent, Harrison Ford is 73 today (not 80 as mentioned elsewhwere ;) )

Happy Cakeday :)

Happy birthday to him.

Betty White (currently 93) is still doing movies and TV shows.  Does age really matter?

No they should not even have bothered with cameos.
I don't really consider them cameos when Luke, Han and Leia and their children play a major role in the story line. At least they do in the expanded universe, I'm hoping JJ Abrams at least takes some of what used to be Canon from the novels that took place after the original trilogy and puts it to good use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it matters since Fordhas not done any good movie past his 50s.
It sounds like your problem is with the people giving him these roles, and those that pay to go see him.  Don't blame the man for doing what he may love doing, especially since others are paying him to do it.  I doubt anyone is forcing you to watch films he is in.Edit: added quote.

This is not the case with the new ST films.  They don't have the look or feel at all.  They have the idea of TOS characters, but everything else is wrong.  These are action movies with big special effects.
I was never a Star Wars or Star Trek "Fan", I watched the movies/shows and read the books (mostly Star Wars though) as a kid as I was always into SciFi in general and (unfortunatly) in the environment I grew up, ST/SW stuff was easily to come by and with no one else around me beeing into scifi stuff I was already 12 or something when I discovered that the library in the next big city had several shelves of Asimov, Heinlein, Pohl, Dick and alike.

Thats what bugs me about the new Star Trek movies, I don't care about timeline alterations or that the "low tech" these movies should have in comparison to everything that followed the original series looks far more high tech. Or that some characters or relations between those were altered. But what I care about is that the new movies and unfortunately also the last movies with the TNG/TOS crews (basically 8,9 and 10) aren't really Star Trek movies anymore but just bland action SciFi movies that would have no different "feel" to them if these would not be called StarTrek and the guys/girls running around in it would not be called Kirk, Spock, bones.

They are just bland action movies, and on that level it only matters if you can live with a subpar script - which I can't.

Star trek renegades will be released soon with ensign kim, tuvok admiral chekov and other old cast members (dont know their real names :p ), and a whole host of new ones. I missed the pre-screening for backers (I backed the project) but it should be viewable somewhere soon. They made it with the pupose to be a pilot for a new series (wonder if that's ever going to happen).

But I'll guess I'll watch the star wars thingy also.

No they should not even have bothered with cameos.
I don't really consider them cameos when Luke, Han and Leia and their children play a major role in the story line. At least they do in the expanded universe, I'm hoping JJ Abrams at least takes some of what used to be Canon from the novels that took place after the original trilogy and puts it to good use.
The expanded universe has nothing to do with the movies, hello! It's never been approved by Lucas or anyone remotely involved with Star Wars movies. So you are in for a big disappointment if you expect them to take the story from there.

And the movies scripts are the ones you make them to be anyway. If you decide it takes place where Leia and the others are not or when they are all dead, so be it. You don't need them in the story at all anyway to make new star wars movies -and if they really did need them, then too bad, they waited way too long. 

Yeah it matters since Fordhas not done any good movie past his 50s.
It sounds like your problem is with the people giving him these roles, and those that pay to go see him.  Don't blame the man for doing what he may love doing, especially since others are paying him to do it.  I doubt anyone is forcing you to watch films he is in.
Edit: added quote.
Even if he loves doing movies, I'm sure he has enough leverage to choose what to be in. That's how it works in the industry, you don't make movies you don't want to be in. 

Either he's been badly advised, or he started to have particularly poor judgment in his later years.

The expanded universe has nothing to do with the movies, hello! It's never been approved by Lucas or anyone remotely involved with Star Wars movies. So you are in for a big disappointment if you expect them to take the story from there.

You should know the novels I speak of were officially sanctioned and approved by George Lucas himself as he doesn't let everyone slap that Star Wars name on a book.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_expanded_universe#Story_eras 

It wan't until last year when they redefined what is Canon and what isn't, however just from what I can tell from the previews they are most likely using some of the expanded universe material. And just by deduction you can assume anyone tied to the Skywalker family will be in the future movies. Most likely the story will have a passing of the torch to the next generation and the original cast members should be there to do so. 

You should know the novels I speak of were officially sanctioned and approved by George Lucas himself as he doesn't let everyone slap that Star Wars name on a book.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_expanded_universe#Story_eras 
I have no interest to partake in that discussion. But do you actually believe that ? There is so much crap out there with the Star Wars Logo just slapped onto it, I have a hard time believing that. Especially with the Prequels contradicting a lot thing in the eu books and even int the original trilogy, or think about the horrible Star Wars Holiday Special.

It wan't until last year when they redefined what is Canon and what isn't, however just from what I can tell from the previews they are most likely using some of the expanded universe material. And just by deduction you can assume anyone tied to the Skywalker family will be in the future movies. Most likely the story will have a passing of the torch to the next generation and the original cast members should be there to do so. 
It's wishful thinking but I hope they incorporate something, anything, from the Thrawn trilogy as a nod to the fans.  :)

I have no interest to partake in that discussion. But do you actually believe that ? There is so much crap out there with the Star Wars Logo just slapped onto it, I have a hard time believing that. Especially with the Prequels contradicting a lot thing in the eu books and even int the original trilogy, or think about the horrible Star Wars Holiday Special.

Well the prequels is George Lucas's baby, I think the Holiday special must have been a byproduct of a drug fueled bender. I suppose he himself can contradict other people's work. 

Well the prequels is George Lucas's baby, I think the Holiday special must have been a byproduct of a drug fueled bender. I suppose he himself can contradict other people's work. 
Art Carney AND Bea Arthur.

It's watchable for the unwatchability of it all.  :D   

The magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3B18gAJyc

Back