Release Starcraft

I dont know wich Star Craft i have, but i got the Game on the CD of a Video Game Magazin..

Would the normal Star Craft also work??
Broodwar is awesome, believe me.

The normal Starcraft lacks a lot of cool stuff.

Some of my favourite units are from Broodwar.

Broodwar is awesome, believe me.

The normal Starcraft lacks a lot of cool stuff.

Some of my favourite units are from Broodwar.
I second this. Starcraft is great, but Broodwar is amaze! A proper upgrade.

Had a crash at approx. the same place:
OK I see the crash in first protoss mission. it would have helped if you mentioned it was expansion one, was trying original first.
Yeah, sry, i play BroodWar since 1998 so it's like a second nature.

For newcomers, indeed, forget StarCraft. Just finish the campaign and then play only BroodWar.

Quality live streams:

http://multitwitch.tv/snipealot1/snipealot2/snipealot3/snipealot4

Check Youtube for best players games.

Protoss: Bisu

Terran: Flash

Zerg: Jaedong

Avoid non-korean players streams/videos, they are meaningless.

install it under windows, patch it to the last level of patch. then follow the procedure notaz gave us all :)
I installed Starcraft/Broodwar and the 1.16.1 patch all with Wine on my x86 desktop for this Pandora install.. so there is a windows-less solution available.

Last edited by a moderator:
command and conquer series might be a good candidate for future compiled projects being 2d.
But this work very well on Qemu for Pandora ;)
Only Touchscreen is not usable there ;)
But i meaned only the First C and C Game.

Although this isn't related specifically to Star-craft, I was wondering if this method could be applied to other 2D/Isometric RTS games from that era like "Majesty Kingdom Sim".

And if so, how much of an advantage in terms of performance does this method have over Qemu or Dos-box? Could this method allow for playable early 3D games without sources released like Elder-scrolls 1/2 aswell? Or is this really just suited to 2D graphics?

Some early 3D games might work okay done this way, but many of them will use floating point instructions extensively, even if they do entirely software rendering. I understand that's a limitation of this approach currently, though to what extent it's work-roundable with NEON code or something, I really don't know. It's likely to be a chunk of work on top of just getting the integer code converted correctly, so I'd guess getting such games converted wouldn't be top priority.

Although this isn't related specifically to Star-craft, I was wondering if this method could be applied to other 2D/Isometric RTS games from that era like "Majesty Kingdom Sim".

And if so, how much of an advantage in terms of performance does this method have over Qemu or Dos-box? Could this method allow for playable early 3D games without sources released like Elder-scrolls 1/2 aswell? Or is this really just suited to 2D graphics?
The main problem with this method is that it is a lot of work for each game. So unlike an emulator or a compatibility layer, this is not something that is coded once and then works for all games of that platform, it is something that has to be done completely from scratch for each game, and there's no way to tell in advance how difficult it will be and if you will even manage to make it work.

The difference is like the difference between converting (open source) OpenGL games to OpenGL|ES (which is something that cannot really be automated, and it's not easy to tell how much effort it will take without actually trying it), and writing an OpenGL library that implements GL using GL|ES (which solves the problem once and for all).

Each game you convert this way takes ca. 6 month from someone like notaz (we don't have many devs of this caliber). It is very unlikely that an other game will be converted this way. You have to start at almost 0 for each game you want to convert, you can't reuse much code, like for an emulator like drastic or qemu.

Most impressive. I love how former given rules like "WINE can not run onto Pandora" or in this case "No source, no port!" are proven wrong, the Pandora can do miracles somehow. OK, notaz can do miracles but we knwe this already. ;)

Now the obvious question: HOW does SC plays on Pandora? Is it even good playable onto an Handheld? I have these korean "300 actions per minute" SC cracks in mind somehow. ^^"
Nobody said, that wine doesn't work on the pandora... However the x86 wine still don't run and that is, what most of the people mean, when they speak about "wine". It is well known, that a ARM port of wine exists and is useful e.g. to port open source windows application.
And the approach and the result is awesome, but the idea is in fact not new, too: A dynarec does in fact the same. Taking the instructions of the target to emulate and translating them to instructions ARM understands. Notaz "just" did this from hand. ^^

I do understand that this is a static recompile, not a dynamic interpreter for just "any" X86 Windows games. Perhaps I made the mistake of comparing it to Qemu and Dos-box, I was merely wondering what the performance difference this port would have compared to Starcraft running under those two emulators. Sorry for the misunderstanding there.

Can I ask, would there be any less effort required to port a game to Winulator on the Android with the "Winulator converter helper" than this method? Or is that a loss cause, since any gain in acceleration thanks to it not having to host the OS would be nullified by the fact the Pandora has to load up Android first?

Regardless, I'm still happy to have Star-craft ported :)

This is the most exciting release for me yet! Thanks a lot notaz! Just for fun I tried to join a LAN session I created on my home pc. Was able to join the lobby and chat, but when I tried to start the game on the host pc, the pandora dropped out immediately. Anyone managed to play a network game yet?

This is the most exciting release for me yet! Thanks a lot notaz! Just for fun I tried to join a LAN session I created on my home pc. Was able to join the lobby and chat, but when I tried to start the game on the host pc, the pandora dropped out immediately. Anyone managed to play a network game yet?
I get a crash when trying to connect a game running on the PC, When trying to start a game on the Pandora the game claims every custom map is invalid so I can't create a game. 

Didn't extensively test yet, and I'm impatient to see an update to further test the Toss campaign.

Is there any crash log to report when joining a network game ?

I also have plenty of replays and custom maps to crash test ^^.

Well I've been playing and it's great! But I'm now stuck until the building landing bug can be solved. :(

But I am still amazed at playing this so nicely on the Pandora and thank you again! :)

EDIT: Thanks Notaz, perfect timing! :D

Back