Release Starcraft

I did my part to get the story on reddit linux and linux_gaming.  The stories took off pretty well.  I called notaz a super genius in the title and a few people explained that he is only very intelliegent and mostly it is just a shit ton of work.  Also I learned that OpenTTD was ported in a similar manner.  It is all very impressive though and is amazing publicity for the Pandora.  Unfortunately the Pandora is not very impressive on paper for this so I would have liked if this debuted for the Pyra.  I think that it would have been better marketing.

The Pyra team will have to really promote the Starcraft feature and then maybe even offer it in South Korea in large numbers.  This single game may have opened up an entire massive market there.  I remember taking a connecting flight through South Korea with a long wait.  Well SC2 was just coming out and one of the airplanes was f***ing painted as SC2 and two guys were playing SC2 in the waiting lobby.  They are nuts for that stuff.

So congradulations notaz and ED you both just sold thousands of more Pyra units to South Korea.  Maybe work the crowdfunding/preorder first and then get those dang devices out to a partner shop there and watch it go crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my part to get the story on reddit linux and linux_gaming.
Oh man, you could have asked me first.. Or at least come up with a better title. There is nothing genius or groundbreaking here, it has been done before multiple times, it's just a lot of work. I doubt we need this kind of attention you're trying to bring here, Pyra is far from ready and pandora production is running out of parts. And we could be getting some unwanted "attention" from certain company, if you know what I mean.
About your other question, it depends on what changes are made to the new version.

I did my part to get the story on reddit linux and linux_gaming.
Oh man, you could have asked me first.. Or at least come up with a better title. There is nothing genius or groundbreaking here, it has been done before multiple times, it's just a lot of work. I doubt we need this kind of attention you're trying to bring here, Pyra is far from ready and pandora production is running out of parts. And we could be getting some unwanted "attention" from certain company, if you know what I mean.

About your other question, it depends on what changes are made to the new version.

Don't be shy, well I can't take it back.  People are very interested in your dissasembler and there is some interest to get this running on the RPi.  Look there was no way that this was going to remain hidden for long but I do agree that it could have been better if the Pyra was a bit further along for the release.  I think that this is epic enough though that people will want to follow the story to see it running on a new Pyra screen when that is ready.  I think that there is still room for another big headline or two as well.  This will likely be featuring on slas**ot sometime in the future because it is so cool.

StarPi? RaspberryCraft?

I do like the sound of that ;)

jeff
star-was-pee.jpg

Naturally.

I assume they have no sense of humour (large companies never do), and usually like to claim the 'quality issues outside of our control may reflect poorly on our trademarked applications, so die in a fire' line of thinking. In Blizzards case I'm thinking along the lines of the well known bnetd issue -- though that was 100% new code (not Blizzards), it did probably violate (stupid) patents about their protocol and (more importantly) provided an alternative to battle.net (thus challenging revenue streams/control.) This is probably going to come afoul of similar things - open up protocol attacks (that could already be done, but legals don't care) and more to point .. SC is still for sale. The 'deriviative' laws vary by country and who knows what scary Terms and Conditions.....

So who knows, let us hope this is small scale enough not to be taken notice of; but I would guess there will be a C&D (which is not Coffee and Donuts) in the post soon :eek:

jeff

Immediate edit; which is not to say anything disparaging about Blizzard; Diablo 3 aside, and bnetd aside, its just business; they do make quality products. Its a tough choice to go iD-like and open up old code etc, so I imagine the lawyer side makes the choices (Activision here), long before any developers get to put a point in. I'm reminded of Negativland being sued by "U2" (the band) .. "U2" is an organization, not just a few guys in a band; hundreds of staff. So "U2" the org attacked Negativland, and U2 the band (specifically, The Edge guy) put up the money for the defence. U2 vs U2 in a way. Just business.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Blizzard was much cooler in the past. Especially when they brought a no cd patch for older games.

But they fucked things up, at least since Starcraft 2 and the promise for a LAN-mode without the need of an internet conection...

Maybe the fusion with Activision has something to do with this.

This is one of those things of which you know it is theortically possible, but insanely hard....

Leave it up to Notaz to actually do it. :D

Awesome work man! Very impressive.

Ok I got this up and running yesterday and I have played it for several hours now using the pandora's controls and no external devices. I have to say the gameplay is great. I use the touchpad for the mouse pointer (you get used to it) and the dpad for scrolling.

I am into the 7th mission now and it is extremely playable and I am having a blast and not finding the controls awkward at all.  While you aren't about to win any tournaments with the control scheme it is certainly more than enough for the single player games and I always wanted to catch up with my starcraft lore as I pretty much forgot it by the time Sc2 came out and didn't want to invest gaming time into it.  However my travel time I am more than happy to invest in this game.

Brilliant work is all I can say.

d to catch up with my starcraft lore as I pretty much forgot it by the time Sc2 came out and didn't want to invest gaming time into it.  However my travel time I am more than happy to invest in this game.

Brilliant work is all I can say.

I'd even go so far as to say Super Genius B)

Update is on the repo (build 6):

Updates:

(wine hack) rshift+click (aka left-shoulder+click) now acts as rightclick (latest firmware update required)

(wine hack) converted to simple integer resampling instead of float based sinc one (avoids severe slowdowns when certain sounds play)

Fixed recompilation issues that caused:

- custom scenarios not to work

- crash on landing flying terran buildings

- crash in expansion protoss mission 1

- incorrect zerg hatchery placement limitation

Firmware update is required for shoulder-click because xfwn4 eats shift+click events as it thinks you're moving the window. I've hacked it to not do that on fullscreen windows that can't be moved anyway (alternative was to hack wine even more but that would have been very painful).

I think I fixed all bugs I knew about.
Right click works technically fine, but its more complicated to use than I thought. I tried it this morning, but switched back to using the nubs as three of my fingers "fell asleep" after 20min. Thanks anyway, its still a huge improvement for me as I got one of the "not so responsive" screens and every click saved removes another two, I make to compensate, from my clickcount.
I noticed that the screen does not go "crazy" if I try to scroll with the nubs, and I think I remember the mousecursor moving faster in the first release - was there any change regarding that ?

But they fucked things up, at least since Starcraft 2 and the promise for a LAN-mode without the need of an internet conection...
Now you see, that bothered me at the start, but considering 99% of the time I'm playing online folk anyway, it really hasn't bothered me in the slightest.
Sure, it kinda stops you buying one copy and putting it on 8 machines to play with your friends, but considering most of SC2 is free now (apart from online ranked games and most of the campaign), it's not really a huge deal IMO

But they promised it! "Buy now and we will add this later. Really!!!"

My video went from 20 page views on Monday morning to 4500+ already.

Back