Release Starcraft

Last edited by a moderator:
We should all download Starcraft as long as it will be possible. :\

Have you ever watched one of those cheesy films where the antagonist, against all odds, overcomes what appeared to be insurmountable challenges to end up the victor? Normally good for some light entertainment, but you can't help but pick holes in it.

To me this is like one of these films, but in real life. Great little (well actually big) project; it has the same intrigue and excitement to me that apkenv had when I first saw it from these forums. All the steps required to make it work make sense, but to actually get it all working is such a big task.

@notaz: Can you compile your C source and run it on a Windows or Linux Desktop machine? I don't have any purpose in mind; just curious.

I noticed that the screen does not go "crazy" if I try to scroll with the nubs, and I think I remember the mousecursor moving faster in the first release - was there any change regarding that ?
Not really, if there was it's not intentional.

@notaz: Can you compile your C source and run it on a Windows or Linux Desktop machine? I don't have any purpose in mind; just curious.
Yes. Linux needs winelib though, there was no porting attempt from win32 API to anything. In fact I tried to change it as little as possible, all hacks are on wine's side.

Oh dear, so much attention may reach Blizzard and lead to making them do their bullshit now.

At least it's a great promotion for Notaz' skills.
Possible. But I guess as long as it need the original game files it should be still legal like any other ports that only provide the executables but not the original game files. :)

Notaz, is there a way to run properly SC under Slack while having a fbset to 32, and avoiding killing X, fbset 16, restart X ?

Oh dear, so much attention may reach Blizzard and lead to making them do their bullshit now.

At least it's a great promotion for Notaz' skills.
We may lose him because Blizzard is gonna pay him so much for joining and be one of them :(

Can you share the source? I would like to port it to Win8RT and WinPhone8

Post on teamliquid.net to get huge attention.
What for?

Notaz, is there a way to run properly SC under Slack while having a fbset to 32, and avoiding killing X, fbset 16, restart X ?
I don't know, I have no way to test or spare SDs for Slack, and I have other things to do..

Can you share the source? I would like to port it to Win8RT and WinPhone8
Don't know about that too, it might increase chances to bring trouble, so would prefer not to. It's using computed goto heavily and won't compile on anything but gcc, those things need msvc, don't they?

Don't know about that too, it might increase chances to bring trouble

/
I think you actually help Blizzard as lots of people  would just purchase a copy of StarCraft from them.  Unexpected revenue is good for them.

I think you actually help Blizzard as lots of people  would just purchase a copy of StarCraft from them.  Unexpected revenue is good for them.
That's not usually how Legal departments think :)
Yeah.  But like others have said, you still need the data files in order to use this.  So I don't think in a million years notaz's work violate anything.

Yeah.  But like others have said, you still need the data files in order to use this.  So I don't think in a million years notaz's work violate anything.
You probably missed the EULA mentioned in earlier posts. Blizzard does not permit reverse engineering of their executables. So, technically, if they really wanted, they could do something about it and be in their right. It's not just about the data files. Their rights extend way further than that.   

Back