Release Starcraft

One question though: Would it be in anyway possible to hack the game to allow 800x480? The screen is tiny enough so that it's sad to "waste" those black borders :(

No, you can't modify this kind of things I think. It's a direct recompilation, you can't just modify the sources.
Of course you can. The question is "just", how hard it it to find the specific code and to change it.
There are resolution hacks for starcraft! But I don't know, how they work and whether they can applied here.
It would be possible to reverse those hacks, figure out what x86 code they're patching and apply it to the translated ARM version, but it's quite some work. And it's yet another thing SC EULA forbids.

BTW, for those who asked for a bitcoin address:

1KBGRpqL6mvZsJZVYWVDSJDCtu1bhrZXRT

I'm surprised that kind of thing falls within the EULA... offering the binary in another forward is fine because you're expanding the compatibility, but to enhance the functionality isn't covered under fair use?

Might be worth asking the EFF? ;)

I'm really curious about the process details, the what the encountered problems where, etc. I hope notaz finds the time and strenght to write about it :)

I'm surprised that kind of thing falls within the EULA... offering the binary in another forward is fine because you're expanding the compatibility, but to enhance the functionality isn't covered under fair use?

Might be worth asking the EFF? ;)
I guess that's in place to try and prevent cheaters... i.e. modifying the exe to create a trainer...

I guess that's in place to try and prevent cheaters... i.e. modifying the exe to create a trainer...
Yep, using resolution hacks (in sprite based games) is considered heavy cheating out of good reason.

I played through Diablo 2 LoD in HD with my ex-gf multiple times via LAN and you can imagine you powerful the sorceress was with this awesome combat range and her teleportation spell. ;)

Imagine that in the Battle.net... in Starcraft...

Having enough screens, you can even play these old games seeing the whole map at the same time with the right hacks by now, but I would only use this in single player or LAN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tested this port with the spanish version of the game on my CC Pandora, and it rocks how well it works!

One question though: Would it be in anyway possible to hack the game to allow 800x480? The screen is tiny enough so that it's sad to "waste" those black borders :(
No, you can't modify this kind of things I think. It's a direct recompilation, you can't just modify the sources.
Stand corrected: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/starcraft

All Starcraft widescreen/HD-mods I tested had some severe flaws though.

I am playing as many of my old sprite based games in HD as possible and Diablo 2 LoD, Fallout 1+2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and lots of others work very well this way.

That's the great thing about PC gaming: Support does not simply end only because the company doesn't care anymore.

I made a topic about widescreen classic gaming on the German boards back then: http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13580

Not all of them are game engine recreations.

is it possible to play the HOM3 widescreen hack on the pandora?

a widescreen hack would be interesting, but i am super happy with the port as it is already. this made my day when it came out and it's still my favorite at the moment. I really like playing with the stylus, using the shoulder button as a right click modificator. scrolling the field with the d-pad works great even in a lan game.

One little thing: If you use the stylus you cannot set gathering points for the buildings.

I mean if I click on the building, then on the button on the lower right and then on the screen it will not have the yellow cursor.

Ah ok. Then only the commandbutton doesn't work with the touchscreen.

Well I have played through the campaign now and I haven't come across any bugs except for once or twice the left shoulder didn't work however a quick reset of the game fixed that right up.

Now it's time for brood wars :D

Once again love the work.

Back