Starting To Code Fenix

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

thanks to Josebita (the man behind Fenix Bubble), I'm not getting REALLY got help getting into Fenix :)

I started to learn it, and once you know the basic stuff, it's easy :)

I'm also gonna start an English Learning Tutorial next week, constantly updated, so all of you can learn Fenix and ask me some questions about it :)

I'm gonna start how to setup the environment and how Fenix theoretically works next week, then go on with some commands, variables, etc. :)

Stay tuned for your lessons :)

hey thats great news, maybe the tutorials will help both the GP32 and Dreamcast scenes

and maybe we will see DC and GP32 releases on GP32X ;)

Btw your doing a great job with the site

i'm looking forward to your tutorial. what do you think about adding it to the gp32 part of my homepage? i'm going to build some resources for new gp32 owners and others for gp32 development starters (links to devkits, sdks, ...)

thats perfect! I have so many game ideas but I haven't got time to learn programming yet, but now I will :)

Good! If still possible, could you keep the specialized GP32 stuff seperated so the tutorials can be of use to all those windows-fenix users too! And nice to see the Fenix scene getting bigger and bigger. :)

i'm looking forward to your tutorial. what do you think about adding it to the gp32 part of my homepage? i'm going to build some resources for new gp32 owners and others for gp32 development starters (links to devkits, sdks, ...)

Sure :) All the stuff I do is to help you all, so you can use it wherever you want ;)

yeh now i may learn it,, wehhh,, just in time so we can all code crappy games for the compo

I don't know if learning it will be this fast, but we'll see :)

Good! If still possible, could you keep the specialized GP32 stuff seperated so the tutorials can be of use to all those windows-fenix users too! And nice to see the Fenix scene getting bigger and bigger. :)

Sure :)
Shouldn't be a problem, as the special GP32 stuff isn't that much - basically only screen size and such initializing stuff.

Great to see that much response :)

Just beware: I'm also just learning it - this means, some stuff in my tutorials MAY be a bit incorrect.
If there's anything YOU do know and I don't, just send me a PM then and we're going to keep the tutorial as complete as possible :)

Last edited:

Sure :) All the stuff I do is to help you all, so you can use it wherever you want ;)

great. when do you think will the tutorial be finished? could you pm me or do you post it here or how what when why?

maybe you could make a wip article, so we always see how far you are and can learn with you. thus we could check for bugs/incorrect/complicated stuff while you're writing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

great. when do you think will the tutorial be finished? could you pm me or do you post it here or how what when why?

maybe you could make a wip article, so we always see how far you are and can learn with you. thus we could check for bugs/incorrect/complicated stuff while you're writing it.

I'm doing it chapter wise, the latest chapter will always be posted here, waiting for comments to change / add stuff :)

So basically, everything I've learned will be posted here, it's a Tutorial-While-Learning for me :)

Thanks EvilDragon just a few ideas though. Can you make it idiot proof (for me and others i hope) for example saying step by step the dev environment. Also on the GP32x File archives can u upload files required for compiling and stuff :D

For sure, setting up the dev environment will be the first chapter, hopefully released in the next days (maybe even by tomorrow).

It will be a step-by-step guide with first tests if everything runs fine :)

Aaaand since I will post those chapters here at the boards, you can ask if anything doesn't work or if you have any questions.
This way, I can add stuff to the Tutorial to make it more complete and easier for others to learn :)

Last edited:
yeah,, loooks like we could have alot of games coming out in summer(if we pick it up that quick) maybe a new compo,, hehehe,, i cant wait,, but evil dragon you realise that a tutorial is not a tutorial with out a hello world or similar step. for those of you who dont know this is simply making the words hello world appear on the screen, i am bored.

yeah,, loooks like we could have alot of games coming out in summer(if we pick it up that quick) maybe a new compo,, hehehe,, i cant wait,, but evil dragon you realise that a tutorial is not a tutorial with out a hello world or similar step. for those of you who dont know this is simply making the words hello world appear on the screen, i am bored.

I planned "Hello World" as the first testing script, to see if the the dev environment is properly setup :)

Last edited:

I planned "Hello World" as the first testing script, to see if the the dev environment is properly setup
so yeah it will be a propa tutorial,, lets go cant wait

just thought, i hope the dev kit aint so big it takes ages to download on my 56k

well i guess it aint starting today, i already started so far i have taught my self a little i have my enviroment set up and have a cat which can move to the right when you press right, hehehe, i am soo looking forward to learning this, although i am wondering how do i make the .prg or .dcb into a .fxe???? so i can make my cat walk across my gp screen??

well i guess it aint starting today, i already started so far i have taught my self a little i have my enviroment set up and have a cat which can move to the right when you press right, hehehe, i am soo looking forward to learning this, although i am wondering how do i make the .prg or .dcb into a .fxe???? so i can make my cat walk across my gp screen??

No, sorry, didn't have the time today... fixed a BoR mod, uploaded lots of Fenix games and the Crap Competition ;)

I can help you with this one:

The .fxe file is just the starter for the Fenix game. You can grab the .fxe from any Fenix game you like and rename it to your game name.
Then create a subdirectory with the same name and put the files (together with the .dcb file) in there.

So it looks like this:

gp://gpmm/
gp://gpmm/mygame.fxe
gp://gpmm/mygame/
gp://gpmm/mygame/mygame.fxe

Then all you need is the runtime in gpsys and you're ready to go :)

Last edited:
start learning your self ,, i have in last 2 days i have learnt enough to make a background inpaint and a person and make him walk left and right on command and jump ,, hehehe,, how can i make it show to pictures,, i use graph=002 for my first one,, any help??

Back