Steel Or Nylon

clarky2o2o

What is better for electro - accoustic (ibanez) steel or nylon and Will i need to change the heads to install the other kind.

It really depends on what you are wanting to play and your style of playing. I almost always use steel strings, but it really is down to the individual.

If you're planning to play with a pick (plectrum), you'll need steel strings. Steel strings give a fuller, deeper sound, and in my opinion, I prefer them.

I got TWO electro accoustic guitars i wanted to try 1 of them with nylon strings. i prefer finger picking to strumming anyway.

What sort of pickup does your guitar have? If it's a "bar" pickup like you'd find on an electric, I think you'll need steel strings. Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think you can string a normal acoustic with nylon strings. At least, I've never seen them on a normal acoustic... always a "classical" guitar.

I've been playing for about 5 years.
You can't put steel strings on a nylon guitar, the neck of the guitar would snap.
I don't know what would happen or whether you could install nylon strings on a steel guitar. There might not be enough room for the strings...

Finger picking is normally best on nylon strings, and strumming is much better on steel strings.
There are some steel string guitars that are also quite well suited to finger picking around - there is more space between the strings.

I guess you'll have to try some guitars and choose yourself.

If you prefer finger picking then definitely nylon strings. Like Hanz, though, I'm not sure if you can put them on your guitar or if steel strings can be put on a guitar meant for nylon strings. If you're more into finger picking, though, then you might want to look into a classical guitar. They're much nicer for playing with your fingers on vs. the average acoustic.

I may have a look into classical guitar (or maybe spanish 1) I think ill leave it till i get better. Ive been playing since just october so still a beginner.

You can't put steel strings on a guitar that is meant for nylon strings. Steel strings require a steel reinforced neck. Steel strings will break the neck off. I use to have an "ibanez" 12 string accoustic guitar, it was made for steel strings. I really liked "ibanez." I haven't played one for years.

edit: typos of course.

You can't put steel strings on a guitar that is meant for nylon strings. Steel strings require a steel reinforced neck. Steel strings will break the neck off. I use to have an "ibanez" 12 string accoustic guitar, it was made for steel strings. I really liked "ibanez." I haven't played one for years.

edit: typos of course.
A friend of mine has played guitars for years and he personally belive ibanez are the best make out there for electric. I have used a few ibanez and a few gibsons (though just messing around nothing series) i also found the ibanez to be the better.

oh and gone off the idea of nylon strings now anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played around with both the expensive Ibanez and Gibson guitars (I worked at a music store during "work experience" back in my school days) and Gibsons are the nicer guitars in the price range IMO. On the other hand, the Epiphone guitars (Gibson's budget line) just can't compare dollar-for-dollar to the low to mid-range Ibanezes. I'd say if you've got tons of money to get Gibson or ESP but if you want a solid guitar for a reasonable price Ibanez can't be beat.

Back