Stereo Audio Problems

vaustein

Since this issues occurs with both the built-in MP3/OGG player and OldPlay, it's likely a hardware problem.

With two different sets of headphones, but of which work perfectly with every other device I use, the following audio problems occur while playing stereo MP3s:
- R and L reversed; this happens pretty much all the time.
- R or L lost, less frequent but it happens
- Normal audio temporarily restored if I both rotate and push down on the headphone plug.

Uhm, help...? :unsure:

You know, I've had a tiny bit of quirkiness with that as well. I haven't noticed if R and L are reversed, but at times I can hear one channel over the other, and then the opposite channel will kick in as if they were at different volume levels.

I occasionally lose R and L with the headphones out (not plugged in), but that's a rarity.

Sorry I'm not much help, just figured misery loves company :p

The first batches were known to have badly installed headphone sockets. So if you have an MK1 you might want to open it, desolder the socket, straighten it out and then solder it back on again.
However you should verify that it´s really the socket's fault first.

I've actually noticed that my Left and Right channels are reversed even during gaming. Was playing Snatcher on the PicoDrive last night it was definatly reversed, i.e. characters talking on the left hand side of the screen were coming through the Right channel. It was doing the same with other games/emulators with and without headphones. Is there any easy fix for this?

I think that many problems from mk1 were due to the soldering issue of the headphone socket.
I broke mine a week or two after purcahsing my 2X.
I fixed it and made some good and solid soldering.
I still have some problem while inserting the headphone.
Sometimes the sound from the speakers doesn't cut and sometimes I have a wrong balance between L & R.
I have to push firmly the headphone into the socket to avoid those problems.
Thank to my monster soldering I can do it without the fear of breaking it again.
From what I'm reading here, MKII's gp2X doesn't have this issue (or less)

HO and by the way
gp2x stereo patch autostart

Well, if the sound doesn't go off when plugging in the headphones, that's a broken contact from the headphone socket to the board (happens with the MK1 and First Editions).
The contact needs to be resoldered. No issue with the MK2 anymore (different headphone socket).

The issue with reversed stereo is a more puzzling one.
It happens with every gp2x I ever had.
The sound is reverse (left is right and right is left).
However, sometimes this FLIPS for a few seconds while playing... no idea why.

And sometimes it does sound like the phase is wrong in one speaker - but only sometimes..

Anything except the broken contact seems like a sound driver (software issue) to me.

Yep, mine is definitely an MkII and I have the exact issue that you describe, EvilDragon.

Back