Stilll Mugging About Windows..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG you people are so clueless!

Obviously this person wrote this topic for fun, and really doesn't give a shit. He probably already knows this, and is laughing his ass off at the time its taking all you to write these responses, including mine.

This is a perfect topic to lock. Hint Hint.

DSR

Last edited by a moderator:
'Evan~NL' said:
I dont think replacing a wm in linux would be that hard, i dont know it for sure since i use ubuntu and not an arm kind of linux...
You're right, its really easy. There is no major difference between Linux running on ARM and running on x86 except the are compiled for their respective architectures. Changes window managers is the same. This goes to why you would want to put Windows on the Pandora other then saying that you could. There is almost no software that would run on it, and getting devices to work would require a lot of effort.

It would probably help if you would tell us what you want to do with Windows on the Pandora (with the understanding that unless it is profound the likely responses will be that you can do that in Linux anyway).

'dflemstr' said:
And even if we develop a wine equivalent, no applications would be able to run there anyways, without a recompile. What's the point?

Why is that? They´re compiled for ARM. Maybe some programs wouldn´t run if they use SDK specific calls, but otherwise?

gp2.eXe said:
Confirmed: Pandora wil be able to travel to the infinity of the seven seas. And sadly it is not unbrickable anymore.

Hmm, a small, usb-controlled servo for steering, a usb fan for thrust, a waterproof and buyoant case... I think we have ourself a wifi-remote controlled PandoraBoat! B)

'dsraa' said:
OMG you people are so clueless!

Obviously this person wrote this topic for fun, and really doesn't give a shit. He probably already knows this, and is laughing his ass off at the time its taking all you to write these responses, including mine.

This is a perfect topic to lock. Hint Hint.

DSR
Did you have to get all worked up about this, it was just about to get good. Maybe you can start the next thread so we can start over.

roshua posted this on the other forums:
roshua said:
Couldn't someone use the platform builder kit to create a Windows CE image - and then sell it for a few quid?

I'd buy it for one, reckon a fair few others would too.

edit:

I'm downloading the platform builder as we speak

If there is enough interest in this I will devote some time to making it happen - it can be my first contribution to the community.

I'm a Microsoft Developer (don't flame me) with full access to MSDN - so I probably have access to the resources necessary.

I'd appreciate some feedback as to whether people think this is a worthwhile venture - personally, I do.
roshua said:
I have the kernel built and ready to test on my Pandora when it turns up. There is still plenty to do in terms of drivers, but I will be working with the BeagleBoard guys on this. Gonna be a lot of effort, but I think it will be worth it.

Roll on mid-November...can't do anything until then!
There are many apps for WindowsCE that are useful and closed source, and a lot of good, franchised games.

While someone with the necessary tools and skills to write their own drivers probably could build a working Windows CE installation for the Pandora, it would fall broadly under the board's "No illegal/improper content such as warez" rule, and squarely under our "Don't fuck with MS" rule.

In order to legally distribute WinCE for the Pandora, you would need a licensing agreement with MS. We have no desire at all to create such an agreement. It is possible that a third party (or even MS themselves) could license the OS and build it for the Pandora platform, but until somebody can show proof that they have jumped through the necessary legal hoops, we cannot support or condone the use of a MS OS on the Pandora.

Windows CE support under WINE-for-ARM is still a (legal) possibility, but the project is nowhere near functional yet. Hopefully with more full featured ARM devices like the Pandora hitting the market, development will pick up. Until then, this discussion is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back