"straight To Hell"

devlkore

^_^
Website
www.sparktasty.net
Heyo,
I wasn't going to release any more betas before the competition, but since there's still a lot of crafting to be done before the game's finished, I wanted input from people on what they think would make the game better and if anything needs changing.

This is a gameplay test, not a level test, so I need to know if the combo system (for example) works well, rather than be told that the background looks crap.

ThanX, I hope you like it ^_^

Controls:
Joystick - Move (duh!).
B and A - left and right slash respectively.
Select or Right Shoulder - Special slash.

You can only do a special slash if the second guage (from the left) is at least 40% full. You recharge it by slashing blue and green bullets.
The third guage and the little squares that appear next to it are meant to represent bomb stock, but I haven't put the actual bombs themselves in yet.
You have energy, you can die and there is a lives count, but the game goes on forever.

LA!

BYEEEEE!!

PS: The included fenix runtime is for non-BLU+, you can get the BLU+ runtime from the file archive.

All the features are really cool, but I find it quite hard to hit the bullets, and I most of the time can`t hit the enemies with them.

That`s all I have to say. :D

Oh, and the exhaul effect looks absolutely stunning, you have to tell me one day how you did this (palette roll?! :D and I really like the background, it looks cool! :))

Edit: And there are too many bullets at once from every side and you cannot just slash left then right then left again, the blade is appearing at the bottom of the ship, I know this should be that way, but it makes everything very hard!

hm, comes along nicely... plays great

crappy background tho :p j/k

edit: noticed the same effect as quiest did (the one with the blade appearing behind your ship). This makes it pretty hard, but is probably not inteded (as the idea of the game makes it pretty hard by itself)

Sorry guys, the sword is meant to come out at different angles, that's the combo system. If I made it slash left/right/up/down in any and every order, it would be too easy.

The combos are all 3 button presses of A or B in any order, also, I don't know how to explain, but for example, AAB, does the same combo as BBA, but mirrored. When you get used to what each combo does, you should be able to defend yourself well.

There are combos for all occasions :D

Hey why not using the swords to slash enemies directly? And if you hit a combo, your sword gets longer or more powerfull... The first close combat shmup ! :D
I´m suggesting this because i hav to admit that i don´t like the gameplay as it is. It´s way too hard to hit a bullet; that results in missing most enemies. There should be a possibility to reflect more bullets at a time...

You can hit enemies! The special slash can take out a whole formation normally (ok, so it's only 3 enemies).

The sword won't be getting any longer, but stronger is definately a possibility (although all the current enemies die from one slash anyway). Also, there might be enemy bullets that split into multiple reflection thingies if I have time to make them.

Just so you know, it doesn't hurt you to touch enemies, so go in for the melee kills, reflecting is nice, but the sword itself is meant to be the main weapon.

Quiest posted on May 22 2005 at 12:22 AM said:
Oh, and the exhaul effect looks absolutely stunning, you have to tell me one day how you did this (palette roll?! :D and I really like the background, it looks cool! :))

Yeah!! How did you do this? xD Palette_roll() made my program run a 6fps...

btw first time i heard the title well cause im not good at english i took it wrong and i was gonna start saying you were a homophobe and all that xD

Last edited by a moderator:
The trail effect is really simple in theory and looks ugly in code, but it's quite easy to do.

After the second or third release, when I've neatened and optimised everything fully and got all the features I want in, I'll be releasing the source. I'd be happy to help anyone on IRC if they want to make a trail effect ^_^ or any other Fenix type STufF, I'm normally in #gp32dev

LA!

I hope you all like it when it's finished.

BYEEEEE!!

devlkore posted on May 22 2005 at 09:08 PM said:
Oh, i like it already. Though i got to confess that i thought the first alpha was crap and gave up my hope for that project. Now i´m really surprised how good it got...

Fishbong posted on May 23 2005 at 05:00 PM said:
devlkore posted on May 22 2005 at 09:08 PM said:
Oh, i like it already. Though i got to confess that i thought the first alpha was crap and gave up my hope for that project. Now i´m really surprised how good it got...

I appreciate your honesty, and I'm glad you like it now :D

I don't think its hard to hit back the bullets. plus when alot of bullets come at you it not like you can't move out the way. And you've got twice as much chance of hitting the bullets back because the slash comes back instead of just dissapearing.
If you keep playing you could easily learn the combo system. i did.

Back