Strange Usb Problems...

Vordhosbn

Still Fresh
Hi guys, I'm new to the gp2x and linux so forgive me if I'm missing something really obvious here! :)

I know that the gp2x has a notorious reputation for USB problems and where possible it's best to use an SD card reader as opposed to the USB connection, however I don't have a reader, and can't find mention of the problem I'm experiencing on these forums or the gp2x wiki.

Basically, USB connection will not work at all, three different machines (all running winxp sadly) fail to recognise the device or pick it up at all, I've tried the three methods of resolving this on the wiki, but my gp2x exerts strange behaviour that makes me think that the hardware might be broken; even when the unit is turned off, the screen for the gp2x shows multicoloured lines running vertically across the screen (like the old amiga crack intro's if anyone remembers them!! ;) ) and they won't disappear unless the USB cable is unplugged. Just to reiterate, this is with the unit turned off!

I've spoken to a fellow gp2x owner who has much more experience of the device and linux and he's never had this problem or heard of it either. Am I missing something obvious or does anyone think the unit may need replacing?

Sorry for the ramble, any help would be greatly appreciated!

First, make sure you have fresh batteries. Those lines are almost always caused by low batteries.
Second, try plugging your gp2x into a USB 1.1 port on one of the systems, and see if it helps.

Otherwise, your problem does sound rather unusual, lines showing while the unit is off. Anyways, I hope one of these steps fixes your problem.

Thanks for that, unfortunately neither has solved the issue. It's funny because I managed to get it working for 5 minutes, then the problem came back again. Any other suggestions?

Aye it's looking the likely solution.

Any suggestions? Preferably one that'll fit in a 5 1/4" bay if possible as I don't have any 3 1/2" slots free and don't really want external.

Vordhosbn posted on Feb 12 2006 at 02:40 PM said:
(all running winxp sadly)
There's something called a live cd, you know ;).
Anyways, your problem seems quite wierd (the one with the screen). Does it show colors correctly while the unit is switched on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Talyz posted on Feb 12 2006 at 05:53 PM said:
Vordhosbn posted on Feb 12 2006 at 02:40 PM said:
(all running winxp sadly)
There's something called a live cd, you know ;).
Anyways, your problem seems quite wierd (the one with the screen). Does it show colors correctly while the unit is switched on?

Lol, I've just installed Suse, but like I said, I'm brand new to linux, been a child of Mr. Gates since I were a lad! Really wouldn't know what I was doing in linux, part of the reason for getting the gp2x.

Yeah, the colours seem fine when I'm in the menu's but thats as much as I can test really not being able to put anything else on the damn thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a lot of problems with XP (SP2) and the GP2X USB, as have some other people i know. My GP2X has a tendency to screw everything up when it does work, which it usually doesnt.

I'll go with the flow and recomend a USB card reader. I use my digital cam. Works like a treat.

can you flash your gp2x from a sd card by chance to give it the new firmware? also has eny one figurerd out how to use the usb port to flash from the computer to the gp2x? gp32_console

Back