Pc Detects Usb Connection But Wants Drivers

dgrams2000

Still Fresh
Okay... My GP2X is recognized by my computer
as a USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE, but its
in the device manager with a yellow "!" like it
wants some drivers or something....

What does it want?
I cant find any 'dirvers' per say for the usb connection.
I saw some download about USB-HOSTDRIVERS but I point the device
to those extracted files and it doesn't want those.

What am I missing?

NoidZ posted on May 5 2006 at 01:28 AM said:
Which Firmware do you have?
Well, when I'm booting up the screen says 1.4 but when I go look at the system settings,
it still is 1.2 ... So I'm guessing 1.2 since I"m missing some of the options that 1.4 has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you didn't do the utility updates. And 1.4 has major USB problems.

-First you should download the 1.4 firmware (Firmware 1.4) ONLY install the Utility part. If that's done, your system settings should say FW 1.4 (if not, don't follow the next step, cause I don't know if that's 100% safe for your GP2X.

-Then visit www.gp2x.com and download and install FW2.0.0 (following the online manual EXACTLY)

Then it should work.

::If you don't follow the FW2.0.0 Manual correctly your GP2X could get bricked (and that's not good)
::Use FULL batterys or your GP2X could get bricked

Good Luck!

dgrams2000 posted on May 4 2006 at 09:12 PM said:
NoidZ posted on May 5 2006 at 01:28 AM said:
Which Firmware do you have?
Well, when I'm booting up the screen says 1.4 but when I go look at the system settings,
it still is 1.2 ... So I'm guessing 1.2 since I"m missing some of the options that 1.4 has.

You probably didn't run the patch, just the upgrader. I don't know what happens when that sort of thing happens, but I'm pretty sure it's not grand. I'm pretty sure, though, that you can probably just update straight to 2.0. I'm not an expert though, so you may want to wait for someone else to corroborate that before doing it.

Also, here is the URL for a piece of software that windows needs to connect it. I can't vouch for that either, since I'm running linux, but it does look promising.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into the 1.4 patch again.. what I had done in the past
was to just boot up the GP2X... and it said Firmware Updating (or whatever)

The reason I still had 1.2 in the settings was because I never ran the upgrade utility
in the UTILITY section. (I dont remember ever seeing instructions for this part of the upgrade)

anyways.. got it upgraded now to 1.4
Now the USB doesn't recognize at all on the PC (like you said.. there is problems w/1.4)

so i'm ready for the 2.0 upgrade... Wish me luck

...Just survived the 2.0 upgrade.

The only part of the instructions that worried me is that they (Upgrade instructions)
dont tell you WHEN to release the SELECT and START buttons... I held them in till the FORMATTING
screen, then released them.

:D

I now have a USB Drive showing on my computer that I can connect to!! Awesome!

Yippie!

GPH should supply a free set of underpants with every purchase of the '2X :lol:

Hahaha, they should definitely do that! :lol: I didn't know when to release the Select and Start button either, I think I'd hold them for about 5 minutes or something. There are just too many people who f*cked up their GP2X by doing the updates, it scares you a bit.

Is there any chance that the usb will support usb2.0 at sometime?
I prefer to transfer thru USB than removing SD card all the time,
but usb is slllowww... has there been any talk of usb2.0 or is 1.1 all we will get?

hmm... :eek:
thats odd.

I plug it into the same usb port on my machine that I run my WesternDig 80Gig external
(working in usb2.0)
and the GP2X is slllooowwww...
I'm using a SD card that is 133x, so I would think the SD card wouldnt be the problem...

???

Back