Stream Games Live From Pc - Pandora?

Shadow of Chaos

Website
Visit site
http://www.streammygame.com/smg/modules.php?name=HardwareReq

^ saw somebody playing crysis on his EEEpc or whatever you call it as it was streamed from his main PC.

Seems pretty decent, though you would need to fiddle around with your own pc and not have direct access through the pandora i guess.

Works with linux by the looks of it, no idea how well it actually works though.

Basically play anything that your pc can by the seems of it, no good for being out of the house but alright if in another room or something.

EDIT: reading further, it says compatible with x86 cpu's i dont see ARM, i didnt think that would matter if its running linux like it needs?

Shadow of Chaos said:
EDIT: reading further, it says compatible with x86 cpu's i dont see ARM, i didnt think that would matter if its running linux like it needs?
Unfortunately, it does matter - if their application is made for x86 processors, the OS bit of it is somewhat secondary to that. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
Shadow of Chaos said:
Unfortunately, it does matter - if their application is made for x86 processors, the OS bit of it is somewhat secondary to that. :p

What about a powerpc cpu? that is on the list also.. i mean it says the player is compatible with "PCs, Laptops, UMPCs, MIDs, mobile phones and many other Linux Devices."

mobile phones use x86 cpu's?

It would be pretty awesome if it worked. Not free though <_<

The other problem would be the screen size. Would a game designed for a 20 inch hd screen work that well on the pandora's? I don't know how advanced this program is, but i'm sure it can't change/edit the interface of a game.

Sounds like something similar to VNC. In any case, we'll have VNC, which will work for everything except games (won't be able to update screen fast enough).

It basically compresses the desktop image with an mpeg4 compressor and plays it with client side software. If they don't port it to arm (which they may have incentive to do because of the N800, iPhone, and other devices) somebody would have to make one specifically for the Pandora.

VNC
Virtual Network Computing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc

"The server sends small rectangles of the framebuffer to the client. In its simplest form, the VNC protocol can use a lot of bandwidth, so various methods have been devised to reduce the communication overhead. For example, there are various encodings (methods to determine the most efficient way to transfer these rectangles). The VNC protocol allows the client and server to negotiate which encoding will be used. The simplest encoding, which is supported by all clients and servers, is the raw encoding where pixel data is sent in left-to-right scanline order, and after the original full screen has been transmitted, only transfers rectangles that change. This encoding works very well if only a small portion of the screen changes from one frame to the next (like a mouse pointer moving across a desktop, or text being written at the cursor), but bandwidth demands get very high if a lot of pixels change at the same time, such as when scrolling a window or viewing full-screen video."

I think with this turn based games, many DOS, and probably even things like star craft could be played easily. the picture would only get garbled when moving the whole view around. I however have not used this or StreamMyGame so this is mostly speculation, however I really do think a game like Masters of Orion 2 would play just fine with Virtual Network Computing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of...esktop_software

It might be possible to hack up a client side mp4 player that's compatible with the official server software (It is SSL encrypted I believe), I'll talk to some devs

audovoice said:
VNC
Virtual Network Computing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc

"The server sends small rectangles of the framebuffer to the client. In its simplest form, the VNC protocol can use a lot of bandwidth, so various methods have been devised to reduce the communication overhead. For example, there are various encodings (methods to determine the most efficient way to transfer these rectangles). The VNC protocol allows the client and server to negotiate which encoding will be used. The simplest encoding, which is supported by all clients and servers, is the raw encoding where pixel data is sent in left-to-right scanline order, and after the original full screen has been transmitted, only transfers rectangles that change. This encoding works very well if only a small portion of the screen changes from one frame to the next (like a mouse pointer moving across a desktop, or text being written at the cursor), but bandwidth demands get very high if a lot of pixels change at the same time, such as when scrolling a window or viewing full-screen video."

I think with this turn based games, many DOS, and probably even things like star craft could be played easily. the picture would only get garbled when moving the whole view around. I however have not used this or StreamMyGame so this is mostly speculation, however I really do think a game like Masters of Orion 2 would play just fine with Virtual Network Computing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of...esktop_software

That applies for playing something when you're outside of the house and access your computer from a random wifi AP. This seems to be more of a local solution, since fullscreen data transfer is extremely huge, especially if you want to play on high framerates. Even a game like starcraft will gag at you unless you're using 100M internet on both ends, which equals LAN.

anyone actually tried VNC

Back in the day on other devices such as Windows CE and smartphone devices - the concept was great but it tended to be slow as a dog, even if the machines were next to each other.

But given improvements such as bluetooth and wifi it may be possible

But you really would not want to do it - would you? ;)

I mean its okay to run it for remote access to servers, possibly run specific windows apps

But for playing Games - use something like DosBox

I guess its all down to taste at the end of the day

===
gp32_console + :gp2x + soon .... :pandora1:

http://www.gp2xwizandpandora.blogspot.com/

VNC is REALLY REALLY slow for gaming, best I can get is like 0.5fps out of it with major glitches.

I tried StreamMyGame some time ago just to test it. So 640x480 is Playable like 40-50fps (over lan...) so it's plausable to play over it. And IMO it's a pretty good tech. And I might use it with pandora.

Plus you can find plenty vids of people playing Crysis on eeePC using this stuff xD

What's the latency like? LAN should take net latency out of the equation; that aside, how laggy is the video, what with realtime encoding and all?

It's realtime. Latency is there. But It's really low and I can only spot the difference by side by side comparations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCuz-wbgWFc is good example.

Back