Streets of Rage 4 ... IS HERE !!

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
Complains are flying over GOG, that store is loosing a great opportunity because of the missing online functionalities...

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
I had no trouble out of the box with the steam version with the controller support.
Steam has a way to deal with controllers that works without issues for almost all the games in their store, despite model or protocol used.

x360ce in the end works, but must be set to use xinput 1.4

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
Have you tried the SOR1 characters ?
Seems like cheating using them, to compensate for the lack of special moves they overpowered them...also I have the impression that enemies can't escape the SOR1 grabs.

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
Seems to me that Yuzo Koshiro did not well this time... his tracks are no way near at the SOR1/2 level... and are also too repetitive without some kind of perceived melody... :(
the other authors instead did things really interesting with different and unexpected styles... I didn't liked them at the beginning, I found them strange with somehow "unnatural" sounds, but after a bit entered in my head and I can appreciate them even outside the game. :happy:

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
I doubt that, the other tracks have the respective authors name, and he was present for interviews about the game, also the style is somehow recognizable... maybe is just changed over the years...
Code:
https://olivierderiviere.bandcamp.com/track/main-theme-of-streets-of-rage-4
It's also true that many people didn't appreciate the BGM of SOR3... and I'm not one of them, or at least, I find most of the track really catchy, if not awesome... it has 2 or 3 tracks that really seems just a bunch of random sounds anyway...

An interesting fact that I found out while all this "the-new-game-stuff" came out is that I'm one of the few people (if not the only one ???) that thinks that SOR2 is the worst game in the serie... (naturally "worst" is to be intended as "the less awesome")... and that SOR3 is considered the worst (this time for real ?!) :confused:

When I played SOR 1 for the first time I loved everything of it, and when I stepped to SOR 2 it seemed slow, everyone was so big that was removing the visuals, and special moves were useful only to hurt yourself...
SOR 3 instead was FAST, responsive, with a USEFUL way to actually do special moves, and those where also applied to weapons, etc... etc... there was also added some "comic" stuff, and I liked them, it was a game after all, it was for fun.

I find SOR 4 better than the 2 ... but still I don't like very much that specials remove your life... yeah,here you just can punch someone to recover it, but most of the time if I have to use a special it's because I'm actually in fear of die, and i don't want to go near enemies...
there are youtube videos with people that do infinite combos in this game... I still find so unnatural to play like that... for now it's the most difficult SOR I ever played...

My Ranking for playability (including SORR):

1) SORR (Just because the playstyle can be customized)
2) SOR 1
3) SOR 4
4) SOR 3
5) SOR 2

My Ranking for BGM :

1) SOR 2 (SOR 4 - RETRO MODE)
2) SOR 1
3) SOR 3
4) SOR 4

EDIT:
Corrected my classification because SOR 4 actually includes SOR 1/2 tracks

Last edited:

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
I don't know how the music market works, this is the first time that I browse a music store site, but how does the trademarks (or registered marks or copyrights stuff) works here ?

Try to do a search for "Streets of Rage" on bandcamp.. WTF :confused:

https://bandcamp.com/search?q=streets of rage

there are a lot of songs and albums with the original logo too

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
I did a correction in my SOR music classification, moving SOR 4 at first place when in RETRO MODE (because it literally becomes the sum of the first 2 games).

Also, I add an info that I didn't noticed before: in the video options you can reduce the resolution of the game and activate a CRT filter with the scanlines effect.
It is not a pixel perfect filter, it is just a distortion of the HD graphic to make it seems made for lower resolution, but RETRO characters, that have visible pixels, stays better with this filter because seems more integrated to the background.
The only think that they could have added while they where at it, is the "spherical" distorsion on corners that physical CRT monitors have.

Last edited:

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
"The Takeover" was on sale on Steam, so, I took it... it was the most discussed spiritual successor to Streets of Rage for a while, and a lot of people was defending it with the teeth during the production of SOR4...

Now that I played it, my appreciation is a little mixed...

First of all, it has a SUPERB introduction (till the initial menu), and a SUPERB graphic (during gameplay), a graphic that I could have really preferred for SOR4...
BUT... it has the "cinematic" for the story that are drawn really bad and extremely too much in a comic book style... I could have accepted them in a game completely in that style, but not in this... really, when you step from a bad comic to a really well made 3D graphic style, seems like you weren't even following the story of this game..

The combat animation aren't so good, they could have added a little more frames, because it is really visible that the moves are "incomplete"... in old games like SOR1/2/3 of Final Fight you just don't mind because is all simple, but here, with explosions so well made, backgrounds so well animated, and a lot of details, it is really visible that movements are not natural.

In SOR4 they added 1 (one) additional button to grab/throw things, and most of the people had to revert to the legacy scheme because it was too much...
In The Takeover the buttons are:
Super, Jump, Punch, Kick, Rage, and Trigger to be pressed while using Punch for shooting... WTF !!

The combo system is the juggling style of keep hitting an enemy in the air, it is a little different than in SOR4, because you have to alternate punch and kicks, but they are somehow similar.

The weapons really SUCK... this was a super letdown for me... I found a pipe !! SUPER COOL !! I got the pipe, and it was too short... shorter than the reach or a kick... and slower... and you can't even grab when you have a weapon in the hand !! You are totally exposed to the ones coming directly from up or down, or too near !!
All the melee weapons works exactly the same !! A sword and a pipe is just different graphic... the only useful thing one could do with them is throw them as fast as possible...
You have guns here, even rifles, but they have the same issues of the melee weapons... you are totally exposed when enemies are near... you can't even kick if you have a rifle... because kick button will throw the rifle away...

All the bosses works exactly at the same way, still graphically are pretty different and well made, but seems like to beat the same boss in every chapter...

The game contains chapters with different mini third person view shooter games, like a chase in a car, or with a jet fighter.

My little comparison chart (1-10):
The TakeoverStreets of Rage 4
Story24
Graphic (Gameplay)11 (really SUPERB)8
Graphic (Story)18
Music87/9
Combat animations49
Controls59
Enemies/Bosses58