Strongest Systems It Can Handle 100%?

Brash

Still Fresh
i know that the gp2x hasn't been out for long and emulation has only begun.. but what is the realistic outlook for what this thing is definately capable of when/if some perfect emulations come out.

i'm sure it can do 100% gameboy and nes titles.. but what is the most powerful system we can expect it to definately emulate 100% in the near future ..

and i mean with NO overclocking or modding. straight out of the box. as is.

I've thought of getting one, but i'm doubtful that it can handle some of the newer or more powerful stuff like gba and neo. my main concern is if it can handle snes, gba, and Neo Geo (the AES huge cartridge console, not the neo pocket).

if the neo geo is still too powerful for it, i may just wait til they invent the next gen unit down the road. the neo AES and all it's games are pretty much my goal for emulation. i'm awaiting a portable that can handle it 100% with sound and everything.

I can tell you right now... We expect PSX power games maximum in the GP2X's lifetime... Neo-Geo will be very good (and is already good as is), SNES will be good, GBA's future of emulation is iffy, and a lot of other random stuff below all of it will be near perfect. By the way, the reason we overclock is because it helps, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Don't be scared to overclock...

and it's not like OCing is hard... it's all software done... no mods... The ARM 9's in the GP2X are meant to run at 266 Mhz but GPH underclocked them to improve battery life... like Sony and the PSP

IntenseWage posted on Feb 27 2006 at 06:34 PM said:
Hunh, that's funny to say since my GP won't clock past 255. It locks up at 266.

All CPUs go through a testing stage before being distributed. Some will clock higher than others. If your CPU went through a batch that was supposed to be a 266mhz CPU then it wouldn't make it. I'm sure Intel and AMD do the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
pong27.gif

I'd say it's all depending on the developers...
Once they get the second core to interact with their programs (maybe even make compiler mods for it (like octopiler for the Cell processor even though this should be less complicated ;) )we will get a 80% performance boost I'd say.... HH mode could give you another few percent.... so there you are.

I'm optimistic about NeoGeo AES, It's not using the 2nd CPU yet and sound isn't optimized yet. The only emu I know about using the 2nd core is the PSX (and even there optiónal and experimental).

I heard the SNES has got a lot of custom and cartridge-inbuilt chips, so this might be harder, but who knows?

GBA should work someday too since its the same CPU arch as the GP2X (ARM) but again custom chips make problems, but performance-wise the GP2X seems much faster to me. (should be possible fullspeed too)

I think all these systems are possible, it's mostly up to the (excellent *bows*) developers and the code optimizations they do.

My unit overclocks to 280MhZ... so another 40 (or 15 included (and assuming its almost same speed) the 2nd processors [maybe this is overclockable too??] ) % performance gain.

I still see a very bright future for the GP2X ;) .

I thought some NeoGeo AES games were impossible due to the lack of RAM the GP2X has.

slypie posted on Feb 27 2006 at 04:07 PM said:
I thought some NeoGeo AES games were impossible due to the lack of RAM the GP2X has.

The NeoGeo-Emu dev, pepone, worked out a little trick in which you dump the Rom you want to play (now it can already be done in the emu on the gp2x itself) into a streamable format, this way you have got enough RAM space ;) .

racoon posted on Feb 27 2006 at 02:21 PM said:

The NeoGeo-Emu dev, pepone, worked out a little trick in which you dump the Rom you want to play (now it can already be done in the emu on the gp2x itself) into a streamable format, this way you have got enough RAM space ;) .

In addition, there were some titles that didn't load all of their sound files, pepone thought he had hit a limit with the amount of ram available. As it turns out it was a bug in his code so games like, garou, last blade 2 etc all have full sound support in GnGeo2x 0.6.10.

NeoStuey posted on Feb 27 2006 at 09:34 AM said:
racoon posted on Feb 27 2006 at 02:21 PM said:

In addition, there were some titles that didn't load all of their sound files, pepone thought he had hit a limit with the amount of ram available. As it turns out it was a bug in his code so games like, garou, last blade 2 etc all have full sound support in GnGeo2x 0.6.10.

That's great news.

Back