Stuck & Dead Pixels Help!

Yes that is the dreaded "pixel plague" return that quick.

There must be like zero QC at GPH to let units like that ship.

I still wonder why every rotten display gets that rectangle on the right. You also get that one if you break the seal by cracking the screen. The pixels over there always die quicker/easier for some reason.

@those who are worried

This is similar to sealed food. If the seal is broken, it gets bad very quickly. And if the seal is perfect, it will most likely last as long as it's supposed to last. So, if no dead pixels appear after one or two weeks, it will most likely work fine for years to come (if you don't damage the screen in the meantime, that is).

My Wiz screen also shows strange flickering color-noise when it's displaying a white image (but atleast theres no diagonal tearing on the noise, so it's rather well implemented :D ) I assumed it was normal.

The lines are vertical and flickering very fast, they are pixel-wide in reality but come off as a bit of a blur on the camera due to the speed of the flickering.

http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?file=wmhaief8q1c2gw6d7x7w.jpg

500 kb.

aho said:
I still wonder why every rotten display gets that rectangle on the right. You also get that one if you break the seal by cracking the screen. The pixels over there always die quicker/easier for some reason.

@those who are worried

This is similar to sealed food. If the seal is broken, it gets bad very quickly. And if the seal is perfect, it will most likely last as long as it's supposed to last. So, if no dead pixels appear after one or two weeks, it will most likely work fine for years to come (if you don't damage the screen in the meantime, that is).

Looks like the outline of a chip so the screen is probably resting against it and any contact makes it die faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enverex said:
aho said:

@those who are worried

Looks like the outline of a chip so the screen is probably resting against it and any contact makes it die faster.

Yea... I also expected something like that. However, there is no chip at that spot. See:

http://www.gp2x.de/wiz/pcb.jpg (front)
http://www.gp2x.de/wiz/pcb2.jpg (rear)

I wonder if the outline is the OLED embedded controller IC (C0283QGLC datasheet says it's a S6E63D6)...

Well...
This happened to me a few days ago, i didn't know there where more people with the same problem.
A couple of images of how my screen is diyng day by day.

First notice:
IMG_6945.jpg

Yesterday, after 3 days:
IMG_6949.jpg

@ K-teto, thanks for the pics, those before and after shots are the best demonstration of pixel plague.

I hope you can get some warranty joy.

i think you should contact the european after-sales-center, iirc that's a warranty issue.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49588-as-center-opened/

RX Shorty said:
Damn... That is really....$#@%

You get 6 months warranty, somehow GPH found it necessary to only add another 6 months if you register your device on their website.
Though I still haven't found the registering form....

Advice: Return it.
<

That six month warranty will be in addition to your statutory rights. Under the Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to goods of "merchantable quality". A device with dead pixels would not appear to be of merchantable quality. You should contact the retailer and ask them to exchange the item, repair it, or refund the purchase price. Your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. However, as the seller is based outside the UK you might have trouble getting them to adhere to EU legislation.

This might help:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

As might this:

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/index.jsp

It might also be a good idea to get in touch with your local Citizens Advice Bureau or with Trading Standards for advice on dealing with an overseas supplier. If you paid with a credit card, the card issuer may also be able to help with a dispute.

Well... the last photo before sending it for a replacement one, with the previous two, for comparison.

IMG_6945.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6950.jpg

As you can deduce... it's at a point where anything is unplayable.

That is incredible!

Makes me feel ashamed being annoyed by the one stuck pixel on my eeePC's LCD.

Sadly my first post on the forum is about this problem.

I bought my unit from what must have been the first batch on play-asia.com, and now this is happening to me too. :( As all the posts in this thread are getting a bit old: have anybody received new units from play-asia? Or money back? Or any reply at all? Just to give me an idea of what I am up against. Thanks in advance.

Anyone with a stuck pixel should try this fix:

Fix PSP Stuck Pixels

Of course the instructions have to be modified slightly for use on the Wiz. It may not work for the Wiz, but it is worth a try if you have stuck pixels.

was this a problem just for the first batch or has it been happening randomly in all the wiz(es?)?

AutoHak said:
Sadly my first post on the forum is about this problem.

I bought my unit from what must have been the first batch on play-asia.com, and now this is happening to me too. :( As all the posts in this thread are getting a bit old: have anybody received new units from play-asia? Or money back? Or any reply at all? Just to give me an idea of what I am up against. Thanks in advance.

I bought a Wiz from Play-Asia in December, and earlier this month I noticed it had the stuck pixels. I sent them an email and they wanted me to send the unit back for testing. It's currently in transit, so I'll have to wait a bit and see what they do, but I expect they'll send me a replacement unit.

Play-Asia has some preowned/repaired units in stock at a good price. I was tempted to buy one but after reading these pixel problems I am not so sure now :( . Do you guys think they are units returned because of these problems, repaired and resold?

Hirolaser said:
Play-Asia has some preowned/repaired units in stock at a good price. I was tempted to buy one but after reading these pixel problems I am not so sure now :( . Do you guys think they are units returned because of these problems, repaired and resold?

If a unit had a bad screen replaced but was otherwise working fine I wouldn't hesitate to grab one.
They aren't going to sell them with screen problems. That would be crazy.

Also, what's a "good" price? Gp2x store has new ones for 150.00 US right now.

Either way, give in to temptation. The Wiz is a great little machine! :D

Back