Succesful Oc'ing With New Ram...

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
If I wanted to do the ram mod and slap 64 mb of ram in my 32 then tried to OC to 175, would I get better results then?
I know the ram is low quality on the 32 and OC'ing over 166 is useless with the current ram
but with new ram, would I be able to get a usefull OC over the 166 limit?
please tell me
and batteries would only be 10%lowered when not OC'ing because each 32 stick takes 5% battery life, but I use AC so it dosnt matter much...
then could I take GPCinema and other progs with a hex-editor and go faster?

~Octavious

I though Robster figured out the RAM has nothing to do with it, just the voltage going to the processor.... but I may be wrong.

Octavious posted on May 17 2004 at 02:18 PM said:
If I wanted to do the ram mod and slap 64 mb of ram in my 32 then tried to OC to 175, would I get better results then?
I know the ram is low quality on the 32 and OC'ing over 166 is useless with the current ram
but with new ram, would I be able to get a usefull OC over the 166 limit?
please tell me
and batteries would only be 10%lowered when not OC'ing because each 32 stick takes 5% battery life, but I use AC so it dosnt matter much...
then could I take GPCinema and other progs with a hex-editor and go faster?

~Octavious
The Ram chip inside gp32 is a xxx with 133Mhz hclk mode.

Lets have a look to a 166Mhz Mode
case 166: { CLKDIV=0x4a011; MCLK=166000000; CLKMODE=3; break;}

the Machineclock is 166Mhz, BUT the RAM is only working
in Machineclock/2

So the RAM is clocked with 83Mhz in 166Mhz mode. ( But the ram could go, up to 133Mhz )

!! So you can not get higher clockrates with a new Ram chip. !!

Mirko

Last edited by a moderator:
As the RAM only runs at 83Mhz when the GP32 is set to run at 166Mhz, and given the default GP32 RAM can run up to 133Mhz, you can see that the quality of the default ram has nothing to do with the limited overclocking of the CPU.

You could run the CPU up to 266Mhz before you were limtited by just dividing the RAM speed by 2, and for even more CPU speed than that you may be able divide the RAM speed by even more.

TeDaDeS posted on May 17 2004 at 03:47 PM said:
Why is the RAM speed 2 times lower then the CPU speed ? :rolleyes:
because it has to be a multiple of the clockspeed, and the multyplying/dividing number must be a whole number.

If the CPU runs at 133 then the divider is 1 so the Ram runs at 133. If the CPU runs faster than the max Ram speed (133Mhz) then it has to be divided by 2 so that the system does not crash because the Ram runs too fast.

Charge posted on May 17 2004 at 03:51 PM said:
TeDaDeS posted on May 17 2004 at 03:47 PM said:
Why is the RAM speed 2 times lower then the CPU speed ? :rolleyes:
because it has to be a multiple of the clockspeed, and the multyplying/dividing number must be a whole number.

If the CPU runs at 133 then the divider is 1 so the Ram runs at 133. If the CPU runs faster than the max Ram speed (133Mhz) then it has to be divided by 2 so that the system does not crash because the Ram runs too fast.
How much effect does this have on the speed, is 166Mhz faster if the RAM is slower ?
Would it ever be possible to clock the CPU to 266Mhz, so the RAM will be back to 133Mhz ? (hmm, 100Mhz up to whats the max. now B) )

has anyone read the doc for the gp32's arm 9 cpu? it says it can go UP TO 150 mhz... not the ram, the cpu...

but if there were a program that used craptons of memory access it would be better to go at 133 :huh:

*cough* Samsung manual still states that you shouldn't run HCLK/PCLK faster than 66MHz... :blink:

mr.spiv posted on May 17 2004 at 04:55 PM said:
*cough* Samsung manual still states that you shouldn't run HCLK/PCLK faster than 66MHz... :blink:
Lol, gutted. Thats most of my game playing out the window then :rolleyes:.

well, my FLU didnt turn out like I wanted to, then I tried another method, that didnt work either, and now I found a old light from mad-catz or something, and If you take out the maginfying screen and use just the frame, you can see all of screen
will have a go at adding lights to that
so my project I was working on earlyer, no, it failed, but I want to see new posabilites with my new ideas

~Octavious

nerd of nerds posted on May 17 2004 at 04:45 PM said:
has anyone read the doc for the gp32's arm 9 cpu? it says it can go UP TO 150 mhz... not the ram, the cpu...

but if there were a program that used craptons of memory access it would be better to go at 133 :huh:
Might be so, but mine is running @166MHz non-the-less.

So I guess 150Mhz is for the safe side, 266MHz would be impossible ?

266mhz seems so impossible, I'm afraid. If it COULD go that high, then it would probably knacker the GP32, and the batteries...I have mentioned batteries and other electric sources way too much..

Back