Release Super Geometry Dust

Grr, why does one of the laser power ups shoot only at an angle with no laser shooting in the direction I press? I'm always doing fine until I get that powerup, after that I can't hit anything. It also doesn't help that dying gives exactly that powerup to start with most of the time, it's like the game saying,"You died? Well you suck anyways so here is a gun with which you won't hit anything and die even more". \:

But still a great game. ^^

Once I started the game with the 4 shot laser all powered up, I think it was right after I hit about 140k points and then died. Is there a connection or was that a bug/feature (or did I accidentally enter a cheat)?

Yeah, are you talking about the dual laser weapon? That one kinda stinks. You kick ass with the 3 or 4-way shooter, but the second you die and you're left with that thing you get massacred until you get that upgrade back.

And I don't think the starting with the shotgunish laser is a feature. Definitely a bug. I didn't get it until I hit 370k before starting a new game, so if it is a feature, it may not have anything to do with your score.

Aight, finally got around to playing this. Really freakin' fun. I'll definitely have a ton of fun playing this with my friend. I only played about 15minutes, but I got 139,351. Once I show this to my friend and I have a little competition I have no idea how high we'll get. I'll probably hold off playing too much 'till I'm with him so we start at the same level. On the same note I don't know if I would like online leader boards... It would completely destroy my free time if there was more competition :) . Great Game!

I also experienced the glitch where you start a new game with the 4way shot. And whenever I close the game there will be random blobs of the title screen on the taskbar and sometimes the desktop. I just have to move a window over them and they disappear though. And it does disconnect me from WiFi. Small glitches though that don't detract from gameplay.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your kind words! Again, it's really great to see people liking it. :)

I've fixed:

- The ability to pause when it says "game over!"

- Old lasers appearing when you start a new game

- Starting with the super laser when you lost your last life of a previous game while having it

- Sections of the interface showing up after exiting the game

- On the first run of the game, being asked to enter your name regardless of score

I'll push out an update at some point this weekend - I have a couple other features I'm adding. :) I also found a couple areas in which I was able to improve performance noticeably, so that's nice. :D

As for the wifi disconnecting: I have no idea why it does that, but it does it to me too. It actually seems to do it no matter what app I'm running, though, so I really don't know if it is SGD that is doing it... :\ I have no idea what I could even be doing that could effect that.

As for the blobs of the interface showing up upon exiting, I may not be cleaning up opengl stuff properly - I'll look into it.

EDIT: Yep, I fixed it. :)

Thanks for all the bug-reporting! An update is coming soon. :)

EDIT2: I had the same thought about the dual-shot being too far apart. Should I bring them a bit closer? What do you guys think?

EDIT3 (last one I promise!): I've had a couple people contact me suggesting I add a donate button. I just made the game for fun, but wouldn't say no to a couple bucks here and there. :) I *think* this link should work, I've never tried this before: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=GGGA7YVRXLNCA

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your account - it's not a lot (far from it) but it should give you a confirmation that your link and account are working.

I was truly impressed by the quality of the gameplay and polish for a first release. This game has breathed new life into my pandora.

For the future, I would like to see some sort of "humble Pandora bundle" or similar that would allow donations to some of the top developers. I feel the Wolfire team that put the original indie bundles into play are on to a great idea, and the fact is, many people would throw down a fiver for games they could get free anyways, just to support the developers (and charities if involved.)

Wermy - you've started something special here and raised the bar for what great homebrew on the Pandora looks like. I can only wait to see the additional polish, future projects, and some of what comes from other developers as a result of being inspired by this fantastic title.

Double laser is fine with me. Also, you should use that robotic voice more often! It's actually pretty damned cool!

Check your account - it's not a lot (far from it) but it should give you a confirmation that your link and account are working.

I was truly impressed by the quality of the gameplay and polish for a first release. This game has breathed new life into my pandora.

For the future, I would like to see some sort of "humble Pandora bundle" or similar that would allow donations to some of the top developers. I feel the Wolfire team that put the original indie bundles into play are on to a great idea, and the fact is, many people would throw down a fiver for games they could get free anyways, just to support the developers (and charities if involved.)

Wermy - you've started something special here and raised the bar for what great homebrew on the Pandora looks like. I can only wait to see the additional polish, future projects, and some of what comes from other developers as a result of being inspired by this fantastic title.

Thanks! It does indeed work. :) I just think it's so fun developing for the Pandora (mostly due to it being completely open, and having awesome controls) that we're bound to see more and more original stuff for it.

BlueProtoman: More robot voice, check. ;) I'm really thinking the double-laser should be closer together though. Seems like each upgrade should actually be an "up"grade.

Well, I get the more frequent robot voices, you get to change the lasers. Consider that an even tradeoff.

Thanks! It does indeed work. :) I just think it's so fun developing for the Pandora (mostly due to it being completely open, and having awesome controls) that we're bound to see more and more original stuff for it.

BlueProtoman: More robot voice, check. ;) I'm really thinking the double-laser should be closer together though. Seems like each upgrade should actually be an "up"grade.

Yup the double laser spreads too much, close it in.

In odd numbered lasers have the middle laser pointing forward.

In even numbered lasers the middle two lasers should only spread slightly (it's more like a fat central laser...)

Robo voice works really well, but some onscreen notification wouldn't go amiss... even if it's just some text that pops-up "laser++"!

Um... dying should clear enemies out of the way sometimes I respawn and don't realise there is an enemy hiding directly beneath me! O_O

Um.. that's all I have to say atm, but very very addictive game! O_O

New version available at the repo now :)

Bugfixes:

- Starting with the super laser when you lost your last life of a previous game while having it

- On the first run of the game, being asked to enter your name regardless of score

Other changes:

- You can now customize the controls, and the settings for controls, sfx volume and music volume are saved to a file

- New stationary asteroid-spitting enemy

- Camera-shake effect when asteroids impact the planet

- Nicer-looking starfield

- More robo-voice

- Various optimizations

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=SuperGeometryDust-23703

New version available at the repo now :)

Bugfixes:

Other changes:

- New stationary asteroid-spitting enemy

- Camera-shake effect when asteroids impact the planet

- Nicer-looking starfield

- More robo-voice

- Various optimizations

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=SuperGeometryDust-23703

I can honestly say this is the first time any of my suggestions has been incorporated into a game, I'm so thrilled to play this now!!

I liked it before when BOTH the left nub and D-pad could move the ship at once, because I alternated between the two. Same should be so for firing with the right nub and buttons.

One thing I just noticed. You can bomb right after you die. It sucks when you try to bomb at the last second, but die and waste your bomb anyway. Dunno if you've noticed this or not. My friend and I are having a lot of fun though! He's tryin' to beat my 271k at the moment. I can't wait to see more!

Edit: just remembered something else. Sometimes it skip the double laser and goes straight to the quad. I assume this is a glitch? And I second the idea of having text pop up for the upgrades. I played this at work today without sound, so text would be beneficial.

One thing I just noticed. You can bomb right after you die. It sucks when you try to bomb at the last second, but die and waste your bomb anyway. Dunno if you've noticed this or not. My friend and I are having a lot of fun though! He's tryin' to beat my 271k at the moment. I can't wait to see more!

Edit: just remembered something else. Sometimes it skip the double laser and goes straight to the quad. I assume this is a glitch? And I second the idea of having text pop up for the upgrades. I played this at work today without sound, so text would be beneficial.

Thanks, I'll fix the bombing as you die glitch. :)

As for the quad-laser: The way it works is, if you stay alive long enough and accumulate enough points, you have the quad laser until you die (at which point you go back to whatever laser you've earned up to that point). The color of the sphere corresponds to your progress towards the quad-laser. I'll try to think of a way to make that more clear. :) Glad you're liking it though!

Bug! At pretty much the exact moment I got the Super Laser, I activated a bomb. Fine. But the "SUPER LASER" voice sample did not play. It did next time I got the Super Laser (this time without a bomb). Also, in the countdown timer for the delayed resume, you can still pause again. On top of that, the "LASER UP" sample plays even when you have the Super Laser. Not sure whether that's intentional or not. You do get the laser upgrades after you die, though.

EDIT: Damned downtime. Delete this post, please!

Bug! At pretty much the exact moment I got the Super Laser, I activated a bomb. Fine. But the "SUPER LASER" voice sample did not play. It did next time I got the Super Laser (this time without a bomb). Also, in the countdown timer for the delayed resume, you can still pause again. On top of that, the "LASER UP" sample plays even when you have the Super Laser. Not sure whether that's intentional or not. You do get the laser upgrades after you die, though.

Yup, if too many sounds are playing, new sounds won't play. Something to do with sdl_mixer I'm sure - I've been meaning to look into it. Re-pausing during the countdown is intentional, as is earning normal laser upgrades while you have the super laser. :)

I know earning normal laser upgrades while you have the Super Laser is intentional. I was just asking whether the announcement of it is intentional or not.

Also, can we just have movement go to both the D-Pad and the left nub, and firing go to the face buttons and right nub, all at the same time? I liked to switch back and forth in movement in earlier betas, and I wanted to do the same once you implemented button firing.

Back