Release Super Methane Brothers

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Super Methane Brothers, a port of the Amiga game of the same name (by the same author).

preview4.png

It's an arcade game for 1 or 2 player (but on the keybord of the Pandora, and the quick action, it's not really doable).

The port has been done with glshim. I have forced the screen to 800x480 (instead of 640x480), so it's a little "fat", but not really obvious, I have left it that way.

History log

=========

Build 04

-----------

• Fixed C4A Score when completing the game
  • Hiscore stored in appdata

Build 03

-----------

• Now it's really fullscreen
  • Added C4A Support (with fusilli client and cached scored), only for 1 player games.
  • Removed F9 & F10 keys (change of game speed)
Build 02

----------

• source code included in PND.
  • Use swap instead of blit for pageflip. (tearless)
Build 01

----------

• Initial build
  • Some hacking on ClanLib to get Pandora keys to work

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
On the repo you said this is "GPL", so where is the source code?

On the author's site. Do you think I should put the tgz of sources somewhere, or inside the pnd?
If you havent patched the source, that's 100% fine
I'd say it's 95% fine, because intent is good. But the GPL exception to not distribute source together with the binary is not applicable to (PND) downloads.

It is required that it is reasonably easy to at least approximately reproduce the build (e.g. to add a patch). Even without changes you still have to indicate the exact version and compilation flags (and - if it is nonstandard - the build environment specifics) and make sure that the source stays available long enough for every downloader of the PND.

Including the (preconfigured) source is probably much easier.

it's fine with me I was just inquiring about where is the source code

Those sprites have really poor contrast with the purple background. Grey or any dull color would have worked better

So. build 2 with source code is in the repo...

Build 02

----------

• source code included in PND.
  • Use swap instead of blit for pageflip. (tearless)

Played this for the first time today, for the latest round of C4a competition, and some odd things happened - I had played it offline without incident, then the first online game went weird.

After a few moments of play, the controls stopped responding, and esc wouldn't quit the game (still running). Pressing Space made the screen flicker and I could see some text flicker briefly in some dialog box, which said:

"who are b-7studios.com"

I reset, and tried again: there is now a minor graphical glitch, a black line intermittently above all sprites, but the game worked ok.

Oddness increased when I opened Firefox afterwards, the default google search screen came up with the search query "who are b-7studios.com" already filled in...!

I guess resetting may have caused the graphics to get corrupted, the b-7 studios query though? Gremlins? ;)

2 player (but on the keybord of the Pandora, and the quick action, it's not really doable)
I can't help, but when someone talk about multiplayer on a single computer I'm always remembering a 10player atomic bomberman session on 5computer and using a video projector... now that was great...

Played this for the first time today, for the latest round of C4a competition, and some odd things happened - I had played it offline without incident, then the first online game went weird.

After a few moments of play, the controls stopped responding, and esc wouldn't quit the game (still running). Pressing Space made the screen flicker and I could see some text flicker briefly in some dialog box, which said:

"who are b-7studios.com"

I reset, and tried again: there is now a minor graphical glitch, a black line intermittently above all sprites, but the game worked ok.

Oddness increased when I opened Firefox afterwards, the default google search screen came up with the search query "who are b-7studios.com" already filled in...!

I guess resetting may have caused the graphics to get corrupted, the b-7 studios query though? Gremlins? ;)
I'll check the code! I hope I have not missed sone hugly things in this game :unsure:

I have not found anything.

I don't think it came from Super Methane Bros, as this PND has no ideas where the "home" of Firefox PND is. I think it was more a leftover of a previously launched firefox that tried to show something to screen, but because I use "FrameBuffer" context, X11 cannot have a window in from of the GL windows, thus the "fighting for display" you saw.

Cheers. Firefox has in the past not closed properly, so that could be it. No idea who or why 'b7-studios' turned up though, never heard of them (nor do I use wordpress).

Back