Release SuperTuxKart for Pandora

Here's my log on 1GHz unit Zaxxon:

=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/SD32/pandora/menu/SuperTuxKart.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/SD32/pandora/appdata/SuperTuxKart
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : 800
EXENAME         : scripts/supertuxkart.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/SuperTuxKart"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/SD32/pandora/appdata/SuperTuxKart=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/SuperTuxKart=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/SuperTuxKart"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Set CPU speed ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Set CPU speed ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application (scripts/supertuxkart.sh ) ----------
[FileManager] Data files will be fetched from: '/mnt/utmp/SuperTuxKart/share/games/supertuxkart/'
FATAL ERROR while reading StkConfig '/mnt/utmp/SuperTuxKart/share/games/supertuxkart//data/stk_config.xml':
    Cannot find file /mnt/utmp/SuperTuxKart/share/games/supertuxkart//data/stk_config.xml
Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.0-alpha
Linux 3.2.30 #699 Tue Oct 16 03:07:33 EEST 2012 armv7l
[FileManager] Addons files will be stored in '/mnt/utmp/SuperTuxKart/home/supertuxkart/addons'.
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (scripts/supertuxkart.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/SuperTuxKart': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 3

@Linux-SWAT: it looks like you have a corrupted appdata folder. The Fatal error readeinf StKConfig is not normal. The xml file is located in your appdata/SuperTuxKart/home. I suggest you rome the "home" folder from appdata/SuperTuxKart, it will recreate default files then...

New build on the repo. Still no RenderToTexture unfortunatly.

But more speed. It mainly depend on the trcks. Some are still taxing (to the GPU mainly), like Scotland (if fall, somtimes, to 10~12 fps, and up to 25fps), but some are very fast, even with A.I. (Oliver's Math is fast, but I also downloaded one old track, and I have 60 fps !!!).

So, test and enjoy (I'm interested in Giga Pandora perf, in Scotland with 3 A.I. for example, as this is my test).

v0.8.0.03
------------

• Switched to openal-soft 1.15 git, as it include many neon optim (thanks mcobit for the tips)
  • More neon in the compile option for bullet lib
  • Added some neon code (using intrinsec) to base type of bullet
  • Reduce size of more texture
  • Reduce LOD of objects on tracks when possible
  • Changed labels of Pandora Buttons in Setup screen

Last edited by a moderator:
If GPU performance is the bottleneck, will turning sound on/off make a speed difference?

So, test and enjoy (I'm interested in Giga Pandora perf, in Scotland with 3 A.I. for example, as this is my test)
I just gave scotland another try with 3 A.I. , Sound enabled, graphical option is set to 8 (dunno if that has got any effect)

The pandora was clocked at the usual 1.0 Ghz

FPS: 12/17/33 - 31 KTris

Hope that helps you ptitSeb =)

Hum... this is a bit weird.

I just set the graphical options back to 2

then did a restart of the game

but the fps difference aint that huge cO as i expected it to be ?

And to be honest the graphical quality doesnt look to be influenced by changing the value

this time fps was : FPS 13/23/33 - 45 KTris

the middle one was sometimes dropping and jumping between 13 to 33

the number following after those 3 mentioned above was sometimes up to 45

oh well, but hopefully some usefull info =D

EDIT: going to give this a try on the rebirth pandora, one moment please. have to set that one up first.

That's strange indeed. I have found that, for selection on the graphic menu (on all menu in fact), it is better to use DPad and Enter than mouse (use the back key, on upper left side of the screen, to validate settings).

I you want to test high framerates, try Oliver's Math, or even better, download, using Extensions on main menu, the track "Classic Tollway by Oliver & Steve Baker", date "07/10/11". I get 60 FPS almost all the time (it's not a gorgeous track of course).

Oki, I am going to test around a little with the options, the way I am entering the adjustments ( till now i have used the stylus) and if i find any differences in the graphical quality effected by the changes.

right now I am downloading super tux cart on the rebirth pandora. I am wondering if it shows the same behavior as the Ghz one.

I will report back then tomorrow i think. its getting late aleady again.

Greetings !

Here's my facelifted skyline (never really finished because I couldn't make the blender tools work)

25/31/45 on 790MHz rebirth

graphics quality 8

SFX ON

Music OFF

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5693">skyline-retextured.zip

skyline-retextured.zip

Attachments

• skyline-retextured.zip
    188 bytes · Views: 228
Oki here we go about the Framerates I have got :

Rebirth Pandora @ 600 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 2 : 8/12/16 - 19 KTris

Rebirth Pandora @ 850 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 2 : 10/14/21 - 20 KTris

Rebirth Pandora @ 600 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 8 : 6/6/12 - 30 KTris

Rebirth Pandora @ 850 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 8 : 8/13/16 - 20 KTris

Ghz Pandora @ 1000 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 2 : 14/21/29 - 45 KTris

Ghz Pandora @ 1000 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 8 : 10/18/33 - 31 KTris

Ghz Pandora @ 1250 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 8 : 14/19/20 - Crash to desktop after the 2nd corner (right at village exit)

By the way there is a difference to mention between Graphicslevel 2 - 8 :

The background gets animated and the character animations are also enabled.

But there are no weathereffects togged on that scotland track. (dont even know if that one got weather effects tho)

Same counts for Pixel-Shaders and Anti-Alais options. (at least I dont recongnize them)

I tried downloading that FPS track you have mentoined before.

But somehow my download got stuck at 29 %.

After that it didnt want to start anything to download anymore =P

I tried downloading the track manually from the Tux-Kart-Repository.

I just dont know where to put the extracted files into.

EDIT : Framerates with 3 A.I. enabled

Oki here we go about the Framerates I have got :

Rebirth Pandora @ 600 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 2 : 8/12/16 - 19 KTris

Rebirth Pandora @ 850 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 2 : 10/14/21 - 20 KTris

Rebirth Pandora @ 600 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 8 : 6/6/12 - 30 KTris

Rebirth Pandora @ 850 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 8 : 8/13/16 - 20 KTris

Ghz Pandora @ 1000 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 2 : 14/21/29 - 45 KTris

Ghz Pandora @ 1000 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 8 : 10/18/33 - 31 KTris

Ghz Pandora @ 1250 Mhz , Graphicslevel @ 8 : 14/19/20 - Crash to desktop after the 2nd corner (right at village exit)

By the way there is a difference to mention between Graphicslevel 2 - 8 :

The background gets animated and the character animations are also enabled.

But there are no weathereffects togged on that scotland track. (dont even know if that one got weather effects tho)

Same counts for Pixel-Shaders and Anti-Alais options. (at least I dont recongnize them)

I tried downloading that FPS track you have mentoined before.

But somehow my download got stuck at 29 %.

After that it didnt want to start anything to download anymore =P

I tried downloading the track manually from the Tux-Kart-Repository.

I just dont know where to put the extracted files into.

EDIT : Framerates with 3 A.I. enabled
Thanks for the tests. Pleinty of number to analyse !

There is things I can comments. About missing effects, the GL-ES1 driver in Irrlicht doesn't have any Shader effect (beeing ES1), so I think level 6-8 won't add anything. Diffrence between level 2, 3 and 4 is mainly "skeletal animation", and as one of the maintener of STK wrote (I think it was on the other thread), this function will be taxing the system. And yours numbre prooves that, as even the 1Ghz choke with that (I think graph level 4 will be roughly equivalent to 8).

About the addon, you can try to put the track inside appdata/spertuxkar/home/supertuxkart/addons

or in "tracks" under this folder, I'm not sure of the manual procedure, I used the automated and it worked (but I used a Wifi dongle, not the internal one).

Anyway, as a conclusion, and based on your number, at level 2, STK on GHz Pandora looks very fun !

There is things I can comments. About missing effects, the GL-ES1 driver in Irrlicht doesn't have any Shader effect (beeing ES1), so I think level 6-8 won't add anything. Diffrence between level 2, 3 and 4 is mainly "skeletal animation", and as one of the maintener of STK wrote (I think it was on the other thread), this function will be taxing the system. And yours numbre prooves that, as even the 1Ghz choke with that (I think graph level 4 will be roughly equivalent to 8).
Ah well, that explains everything =)

Anyway, as a conclusion, and based on your number, at level 2, STK on GHz Pandora looks very fun !
Definitely it is ! =D

I have just uploaded a video to youtube to show how great STK already runs on a Ghz Pandora :

That one was recorded with effects lvl still set to "8"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PCUYF_GSpo

Something weird I just noticed while recording this video is that the FPS dropped to 10/15/33 on that Scottland-track somehow.

Maybe thats because I have driven another track before that one. (But not sure about that)

But its still quite playable at this level of detail.

Cool, a video ! I can't watch it now (@work), but will when at home :)

To impress, you can choose "level 2" and "Oliver Math", and the word buttersmooth graphics ;)

Second time lucky?

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=5697">skyline-retextured.zip

skyline-retextured.zip

Attachments

• skyline-retextured.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 246
Just watched the video. Very nice ! (and thanks for the thanks  ^_^  ). On Scotland, after the left turn at the exit of the village, there is a slow down that I don't really understand, as there is nothing on screen that looks heavy... Even on the 1GHz, it is noticeable.

PS: Try to use skid, it's really fun. Also, you can launch things to the back (cake, plungers, bowling ball) by watching back (I suggest you define that to back) and launch.

Second time lucky?
Downloading. Looks full this time :)

Second time lucky?
Ok, tried it. It works very well !!! 20fps at least most of the time, and a few times at 14fps (the low counter says 11fps, bu it was at the start, it never drop below 14 after that). I play with 3 A.I., Sfx & Music ON, graphics on 2.

For those who want to try, just uncompress the zip in appdata/supertuxkart/home/supertuxkart/addons/tracks

that, in the race selection, you will found it :)

Back