Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 4 released

I have a thread here:

because I think this is important and people should be able to find a solution using the search function.

op_standby should NOT require a password. IT should be easy to assign a hotkey to run this by any user. I had it working that way in beta 3 but can not seem to duplicate the "fix". op_standby will not work without a sudo password which can only be done from the CLI. Once I have done that once I can then hotkey into standby anytime until the next reboot.

Please post answered there: but I am hoping that the next beta can fix this. Stndby and hibernation was a simple matter in other OS's and as such even have dedicated keys for this on some notebooks. This works in some distros as well like my EeePC and PCLinuxOS (but my EeePC will not load APM unfortunately).

I can hotkey Thunar and Terminal. Standby should be just as easy! It SHOULD be a permanant firmware function IMO (and I have been wrong before).

Thanks.

Do you have something against using power switch to do this?

You could probably use /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap to do this, it will even work without X then.

op_standby should NOT require a password.
Add it to your sudoers file then. It does things that are expected to only ever be done as super user and making it unprotected for everyone is a bad idea. If you want to do dangerous things (even not-really-dangerous-but-potentially-dangerous-in-theory things) then you are free to do so, just don't expect that to be made the norm.

Add it to your sudoers file then. [1]

[snip]

...just don't expect that to be made the norm. [2]

1) I am having problems with that.

2) that is why I gave it a separate topic linked from here. I need help.

Side Note: Second day of larger downloads and still good wifi. Only one lockup in 2 days of usage now. so it was the router's channel and choice of encryption. AES only - works great now. Thanks to those who helped.

Do you have something against using power switch to do this?

You could probably use /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap to do this, it will even work without X then.

I find the power-switch fiddly. But other than that this is also learning experience and testing things out. Like learning how to modify autoboot.txt because SD_installer only adds the 2.6 kernel by default. I want to understand the pandora and am reading the forums, wiki, and ordered more books from Oreilly as I try to understand Linux &the CLI as well.

Add it to your sudoers file then. [1]

[snip]

...just don't expect that to be made the norm. [2]

1) I am having problems with that. It runs without the password but the OP never enters standby. BUT if I sudu form the CLI and enter a sudo password then it works. Even from a hotkey it works until I reboot.

2) that is why I gave it a separate topic linked from here.

http://boards.openpa...sword-shouldnt/

I finally got it solved and have posted my results at that topic. It should be easy for future users to locate. And applies to automating other such features as well. /etc/sudoers is NOT the file to edit!

===========================================

Side Note on Wifi: Second day of larger downloads and still good wifi. Only one lockup in 2 days of usage now. so it was the router's channel and choice of encryption. AES only - works great now. Thanks to those who helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the Pandora on charge throughout the day, whilst I've been fiddling. It was at 82% earlier, so I closed the lid, and did other things. I've come back to it now, and it's at 73%, and the charge LED is not on. Is that because I closed the lid?

Edit:

I restarted the device, and the charge light went out. It rebooted into MiniMenu, charge light still not on. I've unplugged the charger and reinserted it, and the charging LED still isn't on. When I boot into XFCE, amd switch on the "Display power" option on the Battery widget, it indicates AC :blink:

Setting the Date and time from XFCE menu ---> Settings ---> Date & time hangs the machine on pressing Ok :(

EDIT: Tried it twice now with same result. First time I thought I had run something else in the background.
Same problem here. When using "date" in the terminal the same happens. Setting the time alone seems to work. But setting the date does not.

I have my Pandora for two days only so I hadn't have time to check out how to debug this.

Can anybody who says "works great" try to set the date on their Pandora? :)

Kinda annoying that the time and date are all wrong :( And I can't find ntpd-client with opkg. Although I suspect that it would hang the system as well. :(

EDIT:

Just read about "booting with R for older kernel". With that 2.6 kernel I could set the time and date :) And till now it doesn't hang :)

Three times today I`ve gone back to my Pandora and it`s froze! ( with wifi on ) had to [pandora key] and power switch it!

Is there a workaround for this or is it a bug with this beta?

UAE4All works now.
Thanks for fixing it up. Now the new kernel should be able to run everything, except some issues with audio recording and tv-out, that I'm sorting out now.

Still haven't managed to reproduce the wifi freeze.

To those who reported hang on time change, are you sure it's not just the screensaver kicking in and adjusting brightness doesn't bring it back up?

Not all apps will work (i.e. UAE4ALL). However, these apps need to be updated, as we try avoid evil kernel hacking (to keep it as upstream as possible)
UAE4All works now.
Thanks for fixing it up. Now the new kernel should be able to run everything, except some issues with audio recording and tv-out, that I'm sorting out now.

Still haven't managed to reproduce the wifi freeze.

To those who reported hang on time change, are you sure it's not just the screensaver kicking in and adjusting brightness doesn't bring it back up?

I don t think it`s a freeze Notaz! me and a few others have mentioned that it just blanks out rather than a freeze, if I press a key the screen comes back..

I don t think it`s a freeze Notaz! me and a few others have mentioned that it just blanks out rather than a freeze, if I press a key the screen comes back..

Trust me, it froze when it happened to me. I haven't been using the wifi lately (partially due to this recurring issue), but I'll see if I can be more illustrative on what is prompting it.

Trust me, it froze when it happened to me. I haven't been using the wifi lately (partially due to this recurring issue), but I'll see if I can be more illustrative on what is prompting it.

I remember some cases in the past (with older kernel versions) where changing the date froze the Pandora (presumably because the screen saver kicked in) - afair the "solution" in every case was a reflash.

Could the Wifi freeze be related to ZRAM?

It seems to happen to me after browsing with Firefox or doing something else with Wifi which might use a lot of RAM.

I can reproduce it every time by loading three tabs in Firefox 11.0:

a google search, these boards and the repo.

Close Firefox by clicking on the X with the Stylus.

Deactivate Wifi by clicking with the stylus on the symbol in the task bar.

Go into low power mode by moving the power-switch to the right.

Wake up again, using the power-switch.

Activate Wifi by clicking with the stylus on the symbol in the task bar.

The message "WLAN is being enabled" shows up, but the Pandora freezes. Wifi LED does not light up.

Are you overclocking? If so, does it happen if you change to 500MHz?

If you suspect zram, you can do "sudo swapoff" in the terminal to get rid of it.

I am running Beta 4, and just setup my bluetooth tethering on it for the first time. Have noticed that when I go into low power mode its not turning off bluetooth.

I have also had wifi issues, but mine are just with connection stability... any time another device on the network is transferring a fair amount of data via wifi, the wifi on the pandora stops responding, and I have to disconnect and reconnect to the network to get it going again. (It seems to lose routing information as I sometimes get the message 'no route to host' when trying to ping my netbook when it happens. It could relate to the above noted issues with TKIP, but unfortunately i have another device which doesn't like AES (my "smart" TV) so switching to it isn't a good option for me.

I've also experienced an odd issue with the touch screen where it registers a second click a second or two after tapping with the stylus. This can be observed in Loopy in the sgt puzzle collection. Using the stylus to mark a line, you'll sometimes see it un-mark it again a moment later.

- Neelix

any time another device on the network is transferring a fair amount of data via wifi, the wifi on the pandora stops responding, and I have to disconnect and reconnect to the network to get it going again.
Have you tried it with the power save function off? Due to the way the power save works I can totally see how another, more powerful device could easily smash the Pandora's weak little chip off the router, depending on the router as well.

"No route to host" doesn't mean it's lost routing information, it just means it has tried to contact the host and couldn't get a response. You get the same result trying to connect to a non-existent IP address. There's a lot of reasons for it, but my guess is that the ping or response packets are being crowded out by all the packets your other, more powerful device is sending/receiving, and what few packets are managing to get through are being lost by the Pandora's wifi's power features.

Are you overclocking? If so, does it happen if you change to 500MHz? If you suspect zram, you can do "sudo swapoff" in the terminal to get rid of it.
I run at 600MHz by default. Switching to 500MHz did not change anything.

I just did sudo swapoff -a

Did the described Firefox,Wifi,suspend on/off sequence and nothing happended.

Did the entire sequence one more time and it froze again.

So it's not related to ZRAM, and I still don't know *exactly* how to reproduce it, but it doesn't take much actually.

Since once it happened every time by just doing wifi on,off,suspend,wake-up,wifi on and nothing else after a fresh reboot, and it vanished after removing the SD card in slot1 (16GB class 6), I just installed firefox on my 32GB class 10, and after the second time of doing the Firefox etc. sequence it hapened again.

So it's not related to the SD-card either, and it may take more than one try to reproduce it that way.

any time another device on the network is transferring a fair amount of data via wifi, the wifi on the pandora stops responding, and I have to disconnect and reconnect to the network to get it going again.
Have you tried it with the power save function off? Due to the way the power save works I can totally see how another, more powerful device could easily smash the Pandora's weak little chip off the router, depending on the router as well.

"No route to host" doesn't mean it's lost routing information, it just means it has tried to contact the host and couldn't get a response. You get the same result trying to connect to a non-existent IP address. There's a lot of reasons for it, but my guess is that the ping or response packets are being crowded out by all the packets your other, more powerful device is sending/receiving, and what few packets are managing to get through are being lost by the Pandora's wifi's power features.

Yeah, power save on or off makes no difference. I am able to replicate this by using remmina to VNC into my netbook. I tried it again just now while actually in front of my netbook screen. When the vnc session stopped responding I noticed that for a while, the netbook continued to receive keypresses from the pandora, but the screen was not updating on the pandora, then it stopped transferring data in both directions.

I then pinged the netbook from the pandora:

Code:
op-inigo:~$ ping 192.168.1.5

PING 192.168.1.5 (192.168.1.5) 56(84) bytes of data.

From 192.168.1.64 icmp_seq=26 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.64 icmp_seq=27 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.64 icmp_seq=28 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.64 icmp_seq=29 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.64 icmp_seq=30 Destination Host Unreachable

From 192.168.1.64 icmp_seq=31 Destination Host Unreachable

^C

--- 192.168.1.5 ping statistics ---

34 packets transmitted, 0 received, +6 errors, 100% packet loss, time 33000ms

, pipe 4

I also checked the routing table, both while the connection was working and after it failed.

While it was working, the response was immediate:

Code:
op-inigo:~$ route

Kernel IP routing table

Destination	 Gateway		 Genmask		 Flags Metric Ref	Use Iface

default		 my.router	   0.0.0.0		 UG	0	  0		0 wlan0

192.168.1.0	 *			   255.255.255.0   U	 2	  0		0 wlan0

When I tried the same thing after it failed, it took a lot longer to respond (several seconds) and when it did the output looked like this:

Code:
op-inigo:~$ route

Kernel IP routing table

Destination	 Gateway		 Genmask		 Flags Metric Ref	Use Iface

default		 192.168.1.1	 0.0.0.0		 UG	0	  0		0 wlan0

192.168.1.0	 *			   255.255.255.0   U	 2	  0		0 wlan0

The gateway address in the latter result is correct, but once that starts happening the only way to restore communication is to cycle the connection in Network Manager.

- Neelix

Back