Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 4 released

I also have the feeze when enabling the wifi. Happened since beta3, I have not tested former versions.
No such problem here, no clue what's going on..

Yeah it seems to be one of those nasty intermittent issues. I had this happen to me earlier. In my case it coincided with another intermittent issue I've been having where I insert an SD card and SZB4 just doesn't react at all. (not even any dmesg entries)

- Neelix

beta 4 is running smoothly! not sure what else to say, but I don't think I'm pushing my pandora as much as other people here.

Special thanks to Ed for helping me with my order. It's been a fun week since I got it.

The 'write nub settings' in the Nub configuration doesn't work each times for me.

If I change mouse button sensivity of the right nub (mouse buttons) and press write nub settings, nothing happens and it's not saved.

Somehow my Pandora doesn't charge right in low power mode. It goes till the mid of 70% and than i have to replug the power cable and wait two or three hours until the battery is fully charged. This did also occur on beta 3 but never with the old kernel.

Last edited by a moderator:
[...] my left nubs stops responding when I resume from low power standby, but when I remove the card from slot 1 (doesn't matter what card is in it), the nub starts working again. If I reboot the Pandora with the nub not responding, it will remain immobile when the Pandora restarts again.

I experience exactly the same problem, the only difference is after rebooting it works again. Thanks for the hint for shortly removing the SD card!

[...] my left nubs stops responding when I resume from low power standby, but when I remove the card from slot 1 (doesn't matter what card is in it), the nub starts working again. If I reboot the Pandora with the nub not responding, it will remain immobile when the Pandora restarts again.

I experience exactly the same problem, the only difference is after rebooting it works again. Thanks for the hint for shortly removing the SD card!

it took me a while to work out the SD card trick, before that the only way I could get it to work properly was to boot into the old kernal, then back into the new one. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue, thought it might have been specific to my Pandora for a while!

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but when using the input tester with Beta 4 (on both versions of the Kernel) pressing the Pandora key closes the input tester and brings you back to the desktop with the nubs in joystick mode. For those (like me) who autohide the task bar, do an extended click (equivalent of right mouse) on the desktop with the stylus and select applications to get to the nub configurator to put the nubs back to mouse mode.

Seems like the other issues with the input tester from Beta 3 have been solved though.

Hmm..

I'm trying to get the firmware to work on the SD card currently. I have the betas working off the nand just fine, but not off the SD card. I got the newest rootfs, but it only contains the 2.6.27-57 kernel. I tried holding the right shoulder to get the boot menu, which basically only had one kernel (this one) as an option. free -m shows 256megs of ram. On bootup, the splash screen does show "beta4", but the color isn't the beta color (bright colors, forget what they were) that running off the nand shows.

I could use the pnd installer that was suggested, but I was hoping to figure out how to do this manually, so I can better cherrypick settings to keep. Is there another file I need to pull? Or perhaps I need to flash the nand, then mount it, then copy the contents onto the SD and go from there?

Thanks,

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but when using the input tester with Beta 4 (on both versions of the Kernel) pressing the Pandora key closes the input tester and brings you back to the desktop with the nubs in joystick mode. For those (like me) who autohide the task bar, do an extended click (equivalent of right mouse) on the desktop with the stylus and select applications to get to the nub configurator to put the nubs back to mouse mode.
That's the new op_runfbapp minimize feature, you should be able to alt-tab back. Maybe I should disable it for input tester, but then people with broken shoulder buttons can't get out of it..

I could use the pnd installer that was suggested, but I was hoping to figure out how to do this manually, so I can better cherrypick settings to keep. Is there another file I need to pull? Or perhaps I need to flash the nand, then mount it, then copy the contents onto the SD and go from there?
The new kernel is in /lib/boot/ you should point (auto)boot.txt to it. Latest SD installer is supposed to use later kernel now, but I haven't verified that.

Last edited by a moderator:
bingo, that did it. I changed my autoboot file to point to the that kernel, and it's working now.

By the time I read your post, i already mounted my nand and copied the contents over, but can verify later its existence.

Thanks for the help.

Code:
Module				  Size  Used by

dvb_usb_dib0700		28744  0

dib7000p			   15944  2 dvb_usb_dib0700

dib7000m			   14660  1 dvb_usb_dib0700

dvb_usb				16652  1 dvb_usb_dib0700

dvb_core			   77416  1 dvb_usb

dib3000mc			  12424  1 dvb_usb_dib0700

dibx000_common		  3588  3 dib7000p,dib7000m,dib3000mc

dib0070				 6980  2 dvb_usb_dib0700
It turns out some of then were not compiled, added now.

I'm not sure if others have tried this or not...

I was using the PSX-rearmed emulator, and while in game was trying to suspend the system (flip switch). Hitting it, the light went dim, but the screen didn't change. I logged out of the game, and noticed an error about unable to unmount the SD card.

The configuration I have is:

SD1 -> OS on one partition

SD2 -> PSX emulator

I noticed the suspend is a little touchy eve if outside the emulator. Even at the base desktop, flipping the switch will sometimes go to a mostly-black screen, where there's a cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. I've had to force reboot when this happens. I tested this a grand total of about 5 times, and 2 of the 5 were successful.

I haven't tracked it any further down than this, anyone else run into similar situations?

Do you have a swap file? Not happened on Beta4 (and only once on Beta3 and that could have been my fault) but happened with relative consistency on Beta2 (after manually adding the option to not unmount SD cards) that having an active swap file would cause it to black-screen-cursor like you talk about.

Like I say though, it hasn't been a problem since B3, I suspend and resume now with all kinds of things running and no problems detected so far.

The new new kernel works fine for me except for my USB wifi dongle and my wireless mouse. I can get it to work, but it is not as smooth as using it with the old kernel. Still, I have a situation. I am trying to load Beta 4 on a SD card. It works basically. I can bott both kernels fine. The problem comes when I install the Codecs. After that when I boot the new kernel I get the login screen eventhough I have set it to auto boot. I then put in my username and password and I am then returned to the login again. If I reset

the Pandora and boot the old kernel, it loads fine. Mind you I have already installed everything on the Pandora itself and everything is fine here. It is just on the SD card.. Any ideas? I have done this three times already.

PND auto-discovery folder structure is still (since Beta 3 at least) a bit whacked in minimenu.

PNDs places in /pandora/mmenu appear nowhere, while PNDs placed in any of the other folders appear both in XFCE (menu/desktop) AND in minimenu.

But my guess is that it's strictly a minimenu thing and not a kernel/OS thing. I tried fiddling about with minimenu's configuration files, but didn't manage to fix it.

Do you have a swap file? Not happened on Beta4 (and only once on Beta3 and that could have been my fault) but happened with relative consistency on Beta2 (after manually adding the option to not unmount SD cards) that having an active swap file would cause it to black-screen-cursor like you talk about.

Like I say though, it hasn't been a problem since B3, I suspend and resume now with all kinds of things running and no problems detected so far.

I have a swap file allocated, but am not using it currently (would like to set that up, eventually). Would you mind posting your autoboot so I can verify I don't have anything weird there?

If it helps I'm almost sure that the wifi freeze only appears when returning from low power mode. At least it never happened to me when turning on the console after a full shutdown.

Back