Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 5 released

Just wanted to let you know of a small bug. Disable Bluetooth in app menu on task bar doesn't work. I had to got to main menu then system to toggle bluetooth.

Known problem, I've pushed a fix to git.

While you're there, could you do another fix?

If the program is already running, it should NOT run another instance when being started :)

I was just assuming this was a responsibility of the session manager. Pushed a fix that kills the old instance.

To my knowledge, the session manager doesn't KILL any program when you quit, it probably just sends a "quit now" signal.

Does configbutton listen to that?

Not more than any other cli program would. My fix is just saving the PID to a file, if that file exists when configbutton starts, it reads the PID, checks if the command used to start that PID contains "configbutton". If it does, it sends signal 15 to it.

If you want it to work *now*, you can always copy this to /usr/share/configbutton/ (iirc, you should see some other files in there) and relog.

Not working for me, its also a lot smaller than the old version or any of the other plugins. (about 7kb as opposed to about 30kb) I'm thinking perhaps it didn't upload correctly (the server is reporting size as almost 7kb so I don't think its a download issue)

- Neelix

Then I have no idea. The way EvilDragon says it should be done didn't work, and the way I do it in the updated plugin worked for me in the terminal. Unfortuently, I can't test this myself since my pandora is too broken to use.

So this is probably a problem that has been mentioned to death by now (I can't imagine it not) but I've noticed that after suspending my pandora a few times it becomes noticably slower, to the point where wifi won't even connect. At first I thought maybe this was just a wifi issue but other programs are noticably slower each time this happens. A reboot always fixes it. Same when switching between GUI but I think that has already been established.

Btw, overall the pandora is much faster on this new firmware. If only before this kind of bug happens.

ps

just a side note, would it be possible to include a wifi connection manager for minimenu in the future? Just a thought.

So this is probably a problem that has been mentioned to death by now (I can't imagine it not) but I've noticed that after suspending my pandora a few times it becomes noticably slower, to the point where wifi won't even connect. At first I thought maybe this was just a wifi issue but other programs are noticably slower each time this happens. A reboot always fixes it. Same when switching between GUI but I think that has already been established.
Have you tried chaging your MHz up or down by 1? This has reportedly fixed the problem in beta 4. I don't suspend enough to notice.

There is still the "find" bug in Beta5:

If you execute "find /" on the console, it aborts with an error message after some time.

Code:
sudo opkg upgrade findutils

fixes the problem, by installing findutils_4.5.9-r4.0.6_armv7a.ipk.

I suggest to include this newer findutils package in the firmware.

A suggestion:

Add to the pop-up menu on the bottom bar

"OTG Master"

(the menu that has CPU speed|TV out|Bluetooth|etc )

I see that it has changed, used to be g_file_storage,,now is modprobe g_multi

And short pop-up saying: MUST use miniA cable

I see that copy and paste does not work (in terminal) unless

you use an external mouse (or perhaps my nubs are setup incorrectly?)

(not able to select/mark)

dave

EDIT: Moved this posting to the thread dedicated to the configbutton applet:

The new applet for various Pandora-specific settings is very useful. However, a few suggestions:

- The TV-Out settings: Would be cool, if instead of the applet's presets,
the TV-Out configuration tool's profiles could be used. That way, the user can customize the presets available in the applet. For example, it usually won't be necessary for one user to alternatingly choose PAL and NTSC settings. So one set of settings will always be dispensable in the currently shown set of applet's presets.

- CPU clock settings: I find it confusing, that the icon for these settings always shows "500". This suggests on first glance, that the CPU is set to 500 MHz.
I suggest changing this icon to something more generic, e.g. a CPU chip icon or an analog gauge icon, like these:

http://www.iconhot.c...28/ksim-cpu.png

http://www.vag-lab.c...onitor_icon.png

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
did a bit more investigating on my nub issue. it seems to be related to the left SD card slot for definite, and is now happening every time every time I restart the Pandora. Even with no card in that slot, the problem occurs, and I have to put one in, then take it out for the nub to start working! Also, in the nub configurator when the nub is not working, both the left and right nub are set to Joystick, but the right nub still seems to work as mouse buttons. I've tried resetting the nub controls to mouse, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Only ejecting the card sorts the problem out (also I don't seem to have the option to save a nub configuration, that option is greyed out, is that normal?)

One more suggestion, and a question:

Let's start with the question:

Why is USB Host now disabled by default? Why is it deactivatable at all? Only for power saving reasons? I was confused at first, because I often connect USB devices to the Pandora: A mouse, a USB LAN adapter, a 3G modem... at first I thought driver support for the LAN adapter and 3G modem has been corrupted in Beta5... until I found out that I have to enable USB host to make it work :)

Suggestion:

What about using a bug / request tracker for those ideas, questions, bug reports about firmware betas, instead of discussing such issues here on the boards? It would probably be much more convenient for the developers, and also for us testers, to follow discussions of ideas etc, if each item is handled in a separate thread or ticket, than if all ideas are collected in a thread like this, and discussed intermittently / alternatingly.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that - of course - there already IS a bug tracker. *blush*

But it seems to me, that this is not used (maybe not known) by many people, and not for discussing ideas anyway, just to report bugs and request features. So does it make sense to use a tracker, maybe even that one, also to discuss ideas?

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
I think USB Host is disabled because it doesn't work with suspend mode or some other powersaving features.

Oh, does that mean, that I need to disable USB-Host again, in order to make full use of powersaving when switching the Pandora "off" (i.e. suspend)?

At least, I just observed, that if USB-Host is enabled and I suspend the Pandora, I need to re-enable it after waking up.

But wouldn't it be desireable, that the power saving script(s) handle this automatically, i.e. disable USB Host when suspending, saving the enabled state in some way (e.g. file flag), and when waking up, reading the saved state, and if it was enabled before, re-enable it automatically?

I wonder, if there is a specific reason, that this has not been implemented that way. If not, I would suggest to change it accordingly.

But wouldn't it be desireable, that the power saving script(s) handle this automatically, i.e. disable USB Host when suspending, saving the enabled state in some way (e.g. file flag), and when waking up, reading the saved state, and if it was enabled before, re-enable it automatically?
The scripts are supposed to handle this, what happens exactly, ehci_hcd module is missing after suspend?

I have on problem with this latest firmware - when charging, something wrong is happening to the time/clock. After charge, the time is not consistent anymore with the one that was before charging (I mean, it has been reset or something.)

Anyone else experienced that ? I am on a Rebirth edition Pandora.

The scripts are supposed to handle this, what happens exactly, ehci_hcd module is missing after suspend?

yes, exactly. lsmod doesn't list this module anymore, after suspend/wakeup.

It's not always reproducable here.

I just reproduced it, after rebooting the Pandora with USB Host enabled.

After the reboot, the module was loaded and the applet showed "Disable USB Host" (so I assume it was enabled).

Then switched the Pandora off (to suspend), and on again after 20 seconds. Afterwards, the applet showed "Enable USB Host" and the module was not loaded.

Daniel

Back