Release SuperZaxxon Final released!

Charging has been wonky for me in all SuperZaxxon versions (older CC system). It usually charges a couple percent, then charge LED turns off. I disconnect and reconnect the charger (or USB cable to the OTG port) a couple of times until the charge LED stays on again, then it takes in another 15% or so. Repeat a couple of times, and the Pandora might end up fully charged (or not). XFCE battery indicator shows no charging either when the LED is off.

Is there some useful way to debug this?

And I can't find the option to turn it off now - thought it was in the desktop settings, but I can't see it - anyone know where it is?
LCD settings under the settings menu.

Shut down and restart. This did happen to me with SZ4, I changed the setting at first boot, it didn't seem to work, and when I went to try and change it again the settings menu was surprisingly empty. A reboot fixed it and I subsequently forgot all about it, especially since it didn't happen again with the later betas. I am now regretting not being more vocal about the problem I encountered. It didn't affect me this time, either, but there is likely some weird conditions where it can occur, and it just unfortunately happened to you. Again, see if restarting fixes it: it should at least make the settings menu items reappear.

Yeah, just got around to setting this, and it doesn't work - screen still blanks.

D.

It's probably the charging chip (so many problems with it..), since 3.2 does power saving the current flowing through the chip is lower and probably triggers end-of-charge condition much earlier. The current starts to fall when charge is finished though, so it could also be that 2.6 kernel was severely overcharging the battery and battery monitoring chip got severely miscalibrated.

I know WizardStan did a lot of testing with this, so maybe he has something to comment.
I haven't gotten it to stop charging before 100%, but twice in my tests I've gotten the charge LED to shut off. It continues charging though, strangely enough, and doesn't stop until the expected threshold. When this occurs, it doesn't start charging again until about 86%, approximately the same percentage that it used to before user space charge checking. I think what we're seeing now is a combination of the user space checks that went in with HF5 (or was it 6?) and the TWL naturally triggering the charge threshold much earlier than previously calibrated because of the vast power savings of the 3.2 kernel. A quick fix would probably be to simply turn the TWL's behaviour off entirely since the user space code you wrote has been working so well; a better fix would be for me to redo the testing I did before and see if we can't do some calibration to keep the TWL's function as a fallback in case eventmapperd fails for some reason.

Oh, and the choice at boot time is "indirectly" possible then, by putting a reference to kernel 3.2 into autoboot.txt and a reference to the old kernel into boot.txt, so if I let it boot automatically, it boots 3.2 and if I boot from SD manually (R button), it boots 2.6. RIght? Well, not very elegant, but sounds doable.

I'm picking your idea of having both kernels. Out of stubbornness i have maintained both kernels in ROOT /boot. Then i have modified bootmenu.txt in NAND /boot. You can see the last two lines of bootmenu.txt, those add two options to the menu named "Boot older 2.6.27 kernel ROOT /boot" and "Boot new 3.2 kernel ROOT /boot".

Now you can choose the kernel you like at boot time ;)

Attachments

• bootmenu.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I made a small update to the firmware image, so you can redownload and reinstall it if you want, but it's probably not necessary for anyone here.

It's just a small fix / change that has no other effects on the OS, that's why I didn't see a reason to update the OS Version.

So, the update / fix is:

* No reboot needed after touchscreen calibration (goes active immediately)

* You will be asked on First Boot Wizard whether the touchscreen has been properly calibrated or not and can repeat the process.

That's all :)

Oh, and the choice at boot time is "indirectly" possible then, by putting a reference to kernel 3.2 into autoboot.txt and a reference to the old kernel into boot.txt, so if I let it boot automatically, it boots 3.2 and if I boot from SD manually (R button), it boots 2.6. RIght? Well, not very elegant, but sounds doable.

I'm picking your idea of having both kernels. Out of stubbornness i have maintained both kernels in ROOT /boot. Then i have modified bootmenu.txt in NAND /boot. You can see the last two lines of bootmenu.txt, those add two options to the menu named "Boot older 2.6.27 kernel ROOT /boot" and "Boot new 3.2 kernel ROOT /boot".

Now you can choose the kernel you like at boot time ;)

oh thanks,

I didn't know that this bootmenu.txt file exists. Thanks for the pointer!

Daniel

Have you removed and reinserted the battery?
As far as I'm concerned, no, to avoid potentially wasting the allegedly last bit of charge.

I don't know whether you're suggesting that I should do it if I haven't, so I'm asking: Would it make sense to try it?

I don't know whether you're suggesting that I should do it if I haven't, so I'm asking: Would it make sense to try it?
I don't think there were any reports where it would stop charging from AC completely, so I'd say it's a dead charger. You can try booting the old kernel if you like as it's mostly the same as in one HF6 (hold R while booting, select old kernel from the menu), but I suggest just getting a new PSP charger, they are not that hard to find.

I don't think there were any reports where it would stop charging from AC completely, so I'd say it's a dead charger. You can try booting the old kernel if you like as it's mostly the same as in one HF6 (hold R while booting, select old kernel from the menu), but I suggest just getting a new PSP charger, they are not that hard to find.
I booted the old kernel, then plugged the charger in, but no charging still.

Also, I read some more about the charging, and now I know that charging a Pandora via the OTG port actually works through a mini-/B/ USB connector. I do have some mini-B cables, so I connected one of them to a wall adapter and the Pandora, and the charging light went on.

I'm buying a new charger now. If I don't report back, then you can assume that this helped.

I've been having the problem since updating to this that the left nub doesn't work(simply doesn't do anything, input tester says it's perfectly stationary in the centre) on boot. However rebooting into the 2.6 kernel fixes it. Then restarting back into the 3.2 kernel keeps the fix until I completely power off. After powering off and back on I always need to boot into 2.6 once to get the left nub to work again.

I've been having the problem since updating to this that the left nub doesn't work(simply doesn't do anything, input tester says it's perfectly stationary in the centre) on boot. However rebooting into the 2.6 kernel fixes it. Then restarting back into the 3.2 kernel keeps the fix until I completely power off. After powering off and back on I always need to boot into 2.6 once to get the left nub to work again.

Have you tried removing the card in the left SD slot, then reinserting it? I have the same problem with the last few firmwares, and this fixes it without rebooting in and out of the old kernal. It does need to be done every time though....

sorry if this already said but where i can find codec pack ? can find in pdnstore.

Maybe you can put the information in the first post after installation of the update

Picodrive won't launch when the TV-out is activated. According to the logs, it complains about memory.

I have an issue with user created launchers. I usually create launchers for applications that place more than one icon on the desktop. So i put the pnd in menu folder and a custom launcher on desktop. So far i do this for Mednafen (i'm only using GB emu so far), Android (i also pass my password to this application in this launcher), Fachoda complex, Rise of the Triad and others. The problem is that this launchers only show blank icons. If i edit the launcher i can see the icon image correctly set, even though it's not showing. If when editing the launcher i choose the image again then it is correctly displayed. But if i do a restart icons dont show again. I think it's a new bug since this didn't happened with the latest SZ betas

I noticed "/usr/pandora/scripts/op_wifi.sh" invokes "/etc/init.d/wl1251-init start" but not "/etc/init.d/wl1251-init stop", as it does it's own stuff.

Is it on purpose ?

Shouldn't it be cleaned ?

Also why the heck the led goes off as "/etc/init.d/wl1251-init" controls it ?

Back