Support The Devs

Status
Not open for further replies.

keaft

Heres an idea why don't we make a monthly or bimonthly pot that will go to the developer with the greatest game/program/application/whatever. Everyone can donate to the pot. This would increase the incentive of creating awesome stuff for the Pandora. I don't know the reliability of Paid To Click sites but if everyone were to sign up and then set their referrer to one central person and call that the pot it could work fairly nicely. (ex. PTC) that could make a fairly substantial pot IMO. I've already made $10 off of it. Imagine if several people were to do this from this community.

We already have a dev fund set up which people were able to donate to when they placed their orders. There is just too much going on with reordering and getting the manufacturing on line to complicate things further. Once we've taken all the reorders and started shipping Pandoras, then we'll work out exactly how the dev fund will work. If at that time you have suggestions for further compensating devs for their hard work, we'd love to hear them.

I think we all know that this thread was soley created for the purpose of linking a buxto referral link and nothing more.

Drak said:
I think we all know that this thread was soley created for the purpose of linking a buxto referal link and nothing more.
Hehe, you saved me a click.

GET RICH! SEND A DOLLAR TO FIND OUT HOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
Drak said:
I think we all know that this thread was soley created for the purpose of linking a buxto referal link and nothing more.
Hehe, you saved me a click.

GET RICH! SEND A DOLLAR TO FIND OUT HOW!
heh... I checked the link before clicking on it. The URL kinda gave it away. :lol:

DRM is a means to an end. A way to ensure Devs are supported. That is where (for some) the last thread that was closed was going.

This with a few changes is a post I was an editing and tried to submit after it was locked <_< .

Lets look at what the long perspective is. We are trying to do two things.

1.)get some more money into the pockets of who would make some games. Specifically games playable on a certain little machine.

2.)is to get some more games for this little sweet machine here :pandora1:

3.)To not make the console in some way more undesirable/unpleasant to be used.

What your rank of priority between those goals is up to you. People are torn on how much DRM would impact all 3 goals. I don't think you could read this topic and come to know how the whole community feels % wise one way or the other but it is definitely a divided issue.

I thought the raising of funds on a centralized site BEFORE a port is made was a good idea. Such a site would need to be some how legitimized because it would be dealing with lot of money. Something would need to be worked out as an insurance against any kind of skimming, misappropriation of funds and wrong doing. It would be best if one site would aim to do multiple games at once by talking preorders, after a general poll in which signed up users would state if they would preorder the game.

-After the poll someone from the site would have to contact a publisher. They would then try to work out a good deal for the game either negotiate for it to it to be released initially at some specific price or for some lump sum to be paid to make a native port.

__The publisher might arrange for the port to be done, but quality of the port would need to be assured to the people to will preorder.
__or the publisher will give the go ahead to pay a third party to port the game (assurance of quality might be easier).

What would not be negotiated for would be control of the distribution rights to charge money for distributing the game on Pandora. Those rights are worth money, and if a community organized for this to happen it would not be fair for one the working out the actual deal to arrange to personally gain ownership of some thing of monetary value. I doubt I am getting my terminology right but by this I mean; that if someone were to collect $20 per person from a 1000 people and then used that money to get the right to distribute a game port for Pandora and charge how ever much that negotiator wants for subsequent sales of the game, even if the preorders are still $20 the one who organized the whole thing would then be in the possession of some thing that they could charge money for, potentially make a large profit. Wile at the same time because those rites are worth money, and they were negotiated for, the preorder money could have instead been lower. In that circumstances the negotiator for the Pandora port has bought some thing extra that is of no value to the part of the community that has paid for it.

Instead a list of potential preorders (a list people who claim to be a potential consumers) could be taken to a publisher to get there interest. The company might just try to go ahead with port and charge what ever they like for it, but there is an element of risk. How many on release day would actually buy the game and how many would wait for a crack and pirate it. If there were a large number of preorders (a number that might represent the total expected sales on such a small system as Pandora) I think a lower price for every one could be negotiated.

Preorders as a unit of monetary contribution sound good to me because it is NOT like a donation fund were everyone donates a different amount. If the amount of money raised is not enough it is not because to many people did not give enough but because not enough people were interested in making a purchase and so the project ends there (where it should). Also because it is a preorder and not donation if the project never does get started people would be entitled to a refund.

I know there are flaws in my plan and it does not sound complete even to me but it is an idea I had that might encourage more stuff ending up on pandora.

keaft's post does subject more of an emphasis on rewarding Devs rather than on compensation them but the distinction is not vast.

DRM is a means to snatch failure from the jaws of success and nothing more. How many case histories do people need to figure out copy protection doesn't work and will end up hurting you more than any other stupid mistake you could possibly make. You will spend all that time and effort for nothing and accomplish only the alienation of what may have been a decent audience.

Drak said:
I think we all know that this thread was soley created for the purpose of linking a buxto referral link and nothing more.
solely-no. by some chance of making money-yes . I'm not saying use mine as the pot. I wouldn't want to have control of the pot. It's an example of a PTC there are many more out there that's just the one that came to mind, seeing as I have it. I could have just linked directly to their register page without my refer, but what would be the point of that. <sarcasm> I mean I know that you would have linked directly to the register page</sarcasm>.

Btw this thread was to keep DRM out. I could care less if you want or don't want DRM. My idea was to do something outside the box seeing as a majority of members dislike DRM. (don't bite me in the bum for saying that)

tightly knit community... i think my neighbors in this part of the community hate me...
Anyone for BBQ? I'll mow your lawn for you.

Sphinxter I do agree with you to some extent. You could change my first line to "DRM is an attempt at a means to an end" but that is just getting to convoluted.

mods i've had all i have to say.
I can already see this going down a deep dark road to another rant.
close please.

fischju2000
I understand your idea to be a sort of success driven model that gives money in exchange for progress on software. A sort of bounty system to put it overly simplistically. It might be used to get free developers to work a little bit more or simply as an intensive for some problems to be solved faster.

keaft-idea might be described as a small way to give money to free devs who have already done some notable work. A reward. (Though now that I am re-reading it I see that it could be interpreted as a sort of contest. I thought of it as a group nomination of some worthy developers who have added some valued contribution to the community)

My idea was to find a model in which people would pool money and to essentially collectively buy something that normally could only be gotten by someone who was willing to put forth some serious capital investment. There was some speculation that few big commercial games would make it to Pandora because of a chance that they would not make much money. That argument is what sparked my train of thought.

I think they are ideas that each have a different emphasis.

Im ignoring all of the DRM stuff and pretty much everything else except the topic title here...

I think a seperate site designed to award once a month a 'top game of the month' and 'top app of the month' is a great idea, People could register and have one vote out of a list of the games/apps releared that month and the winner gets a bounty pot, to be able to vote everyone has to make a donation.

Would be a great site as each game in the running could have its own page with a small interview with the creator and then an independant review of the game and a download button over time it would become a great resource site for looking at the best games and reviews of those games, I cant design a page from scratch but would love to work with someone who can on updating writing and organising such a site.

anyone in for a hotpot? It's on me. ;)
000802ab80180977e32e31.jpg

keaft said:
mods i've had all i have to say.
I can already see this going down a deep dark road to another rant.
close please.

I agree. Topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back