Hardware Supporter Thread

Grench

Forum Addict!
All inevitable subsequent pictures of and references to athletic gear aside...

The presence of this forum space is a great sign. So, I made the non-authorized decision to post up a thread in support of the ongoing efforts to produce the Pyra. Since this forum area will inevitably be one day filled with frustrated posts from people needing assistance for issues that have no point of prediction now, I decided that the first thread really should be from one or more of the 'rest of us' in support of the Pyra development team, their efforts to date and future.

Kudos to the development team. Thank you for your continued efforts!

I am really looking forward to being able to use my Pyra. Thanks, guys.

art_supporter.jpg

Last edited:
what size sd cards and micro sd cards can this run?

It supports SDXC and MicroSDXC Cards with up to 2Tb Each. With currently available Cards you can add 2*512Gb (SDXC) + 1*200Gb (MicroSDXC) = 1.2Tb of Storage.

It supports SDXC and MicroSDXC Cards with up to 2Tb Each. With currently available Cards you can add 2*512Gb (SDXC) + 1*200Gb (MicroSDXC) = 1.2Tb of Storage.
thank you for the response. damn this is made to be a laptop huh

^ Yeah that doesn't include USB ports you could add USB stoarage to as well.

^ and they're all leaving out several aspects of the device's storage capabilities.

32GB eMMC (non-swapable but FAST)
One internal not-exposed microSDXC (up to 200GB with a current $80 card)
Two internal exposed SDXC (up to 512GB each with current $200 cards)
Subtotal for internal storage: 1.23 terabytes.

Poking a few devices out of the USB type A host ports just a bit - still pocketable - can add two USB microSD adapters for an additional 2*200 = 400 GB.
elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader -Works up to 32GB- (Black)
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/elago-Mobile-microSDHC-Memory-Reader/dp/B002HGFKR8

Subtotal for internal + pocketable external storage = 1.63 terabytes.

The next step in this gets more complicated. Trying to figure out how much storage can be online connected to the Pyra while on battery operation, no longer pocketable while running. I.e. how much storage can the device theoretically access, on it's own battery power, without additional external power sources or using stand-alone hubs while on the tray table in front of you while flying in coach?

I have one of these:
Rocketek® 11 in 1 USB 3.0 Memory Card Reader / Writer with a Build-in Card Cover and 2 Slots (SD Card + Micro SD Card) for SDXC, UHS-I SD, SDHC, SD, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, Micro SD, MMC memory cards
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Rocketek%C2%AE-Memory-Reader-Writer-Build-/dp/B00IX9ZDKC
Each of those can hold and access two SDXC and two microSDXC per USB 2.0 port. Each adapter can hold 2*512GB and 2*200GB in SD and uSD media = 1.4TB per.
Using one of these in the microUSB OTG port:
New Micro USB 3.0 9 Pin OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III N9000 - Black
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Flash-Cable-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00MGE3CQM
Plus a third adapter as above, adds another 1.4 TB.

So, in theory, while on battery, without additional power sources or hubs, using existing readily availble parts and data cards, the Pyra could access:
1.23 TB internal
1.4 TB in left USB 2.0
1.4 TB in right USB 2.0
1.4 TB in the microUSB OTG on a short cable adapter
Current total for use while sitting on your airline tray table: 5.43 terabytes.

Now, if you want to allow external power sources and utilize the eSATA adapter and commercial DASD equipment, 40TB hanging off of the eSATA port alone should be quite possible.

Someone is going to complain that those options listed use very expensive media. Yes, they do. These are theoretical maximums and have no basis on how much space you'll really need for -everything-.

Most users will get by just fine on the included 32GB of eMMC storage and maybe a 32-128GB SDXC card and then be able to use the other SDXC card slot to quickly copy/interchange data from SD cards - which was insanely useful on the Pandora.

The Pyra is the computing equivalent of a multi-tool.

Last edited:
None of your pictures work for me so saying you have "One of these:" Is somewhat uninformative. Can you at least describe what it is you're unsuccessfully trying to show?

-Neelix

None of your pictures work for me so saying you have "One of these:" Is somewhat uninformative. Can you at least describe what it is you're unsuccessfully trying to show?

-Neelix

Gak - what a pain. For some reason the boards have decided that all links to Amazon are media links and it auto-converts them then truncates the link. I truly despise when software does things 'for me' when I did not ask to do so.

I think I have workable descriptions and if you copy/paste the link out of the code blocks you should be able to see it. So - fixed?

Fixed, cheers. :)
FWIW though I believe you should be able to set the descriptions as links and it should work correctly as long as the URL itself isn't in the message as plain text. (or link text)

That said I don't really think most people would consider the maximum storage capacity if you plug every port with a large storage device to be a selling point. *wry smile*

-Neelix

Fixed, cheers. :)
FWIW though I believe you should be able to set the descriptions as links and it should work correctly as long as the URL itself isn't in the message as plain text. (or link text)

That said I don't really think most people would consider the maximum storage capacity if you plug every port with a large storage device to be a selling point. *wry smile*

-Neelix

I thought it would emphasize the flexibility of the design. I have no intentions of attaching 5+ terabytes of card based storage to my Pyra - yet. In 3+ years? Who knows? To me there is value knowing it is possible - even if practical application to that scale is improbable.

I thought it would emphasize the flexibility of the design. I have no intentions of attaching 5+ terabytes of card based storage to my Pyra - yet. In 3+ years? Who knows? To me there is value knowing it is possible - even if practical application to that scale is improbable.
dem Dreamcast and Playstation images, HD videos, FLACs, etc...

Couldn't you attach an external HDD/SSD via USB for the "not so portable, but still on battery power" option? Might be a bit cheaper than using cards.

Couldn't you attach an external HDD/SSD via USB for the "not so portable, but still on battery power" option? Might be a bit cheaper than using cards.

At that point you'd potentially be better off using the eSATA interface and only hitting the USB ports for power. Spinning physical media is going to suck battery life fast - but it's doable.

I also have an external USB powered USB 2.0 slim BluRay/DVD. Might be possible to watch a movie from disc without bothering to RIP/store it.

The possibilities and permutations are endless - and that's kind of the point I was getting at.

Back