Supporting And Encouraging Jxd

Don't forget about the "Wahhh, this emulator is crap, it doesn't do 60FPS FS0 @ 200Mhz. Dev's are lazy and can't be bothered to rewrite it in asm for us."

There are a lot of people interested in the Jxd301 and other chinese compatible devices :D .

Why?
- 2x the GP2X power.
- better screen.
- better authonomy.
- less size and weight.
- cheap.

I have also planned to get one, but i prefer to wait some weeks until some talented programmers (Rlyeh, etc) have taken a look on it and see if they can 'enable' the hombrew...

It should be great to see MAME on this new handheld...

<--- gadget whore

woogal: i don't think the "something for nothing" sums up everybody, it's just that the contented masses aren't as vocal. then again i wasn't here for gp32 scene. but there's a lot less gimmegimme here and more "hey that's neat" than psp or xbox community.

--

i'm not gonna touch regime issues, labor conditions, etc. but i'll say this: supporting the gp2x is like saying, "yeah, there's a maket for open devices, and it starts with me". i know gph wouldn't read the gpl if it was printed on their toilet paper. but there's plenty of buzz about the 2x on the internet, most of which sums up as "hey, there's a linux game console, and it's decent/didn't tank". that's a really good thing.

(hey, looks like your plays-for-sure music doesn't play-for-sure anymore. we just kinda lost interest in it. nothing personal. java? yeah, this phone runs java apps. wait, you want to put code on it? no, only dirty pirates would do that.)

as long as there's good business in taking parts off a shelf, boxing them up, and charging devs for the almighty privelege of running code on them, that's what the hardware companies will do. why should an open firmware make the difference between a shitty router and something that rivals the professional gear? similar example: iriver lost interest in the h120 before the little "recording bug" got sorted out. using rockbox means i can actually use mine to record, which incidentally, is one of the things iriver claimed it could do out of the box.

anyway, this is getting far too long, but my point is, gph was right for the wrong reasons, but still right, so it makes sense to support the gp2x because it's an open development platform.

Franxis said:
There are a lot of people interested in the Jxd301 and other chinese compatible devices :D .

Why?
- 2x the GP2X power.
- better screen.
- better authonomy.
- less size and weight.
- cheap.

I have also planned to get one, but i prefer to wait some weeks until some talented programmers (Rlyeh, etc) have taken a look on it and see if they can 'enable' the hombrew...

The blood of students and peasants are on that dpad but hey it's your kharma, so what if every time you boot up a newborn baby is crushed under a PLA boot. You saved a whopping $40 so it's cool.

Be sure and get that tested for lead too. Twice as powerful and you'll get 6 hours out of a 1000 mah battery, hah, pull the other one it's got big ben on it.

What is authonomy and how could it possibly be better behind the bamboo curtain?

Last edited by a moderator:
Iorgy77 said:
So let the devs enjoy what they want to do in their spare time and dev for a console that interests them, god knows they have done alot for us. If they want to vent about GPH stupidity, I think they have earned the right.
It's not the Devs I was referring to, but the users who don't even own an F-200 and feel that they can quantify it as garbage without even ever using it...

morrissey2k7 said:
It's not the Devs I was referring to, but the users who don't even own an F-200 and feel that they can quantify it as garbage without even ever using it...
I think the average impression is the F200 is better than the F100 for end-users and is worse for developers.
Most gp2x users are smart enough to read between the lines and filter the garbage.

I am still hoping some genius will find a solution for the devs :)

b_o_b said:
I am still hoping some genius will find a solution for the devs :)
I've not found anything yet ;)

Well, actually, the only thing I thought of was the ext port. The F100 had 'USB Device' on it's ext port (linked directly to the SoC), assuming this isn't another fubar by GPH, you should be able to hook into this and wire it directly to your PC, meaning all the usually stuff will start working again once a suitable environment is setup.

Alternatively, you can do PPPD over UART, but that's also on the ext port and if your going to wire up to that, you might as well wire up to the usb above. If you want less overhead, you can just use the serial port as a debug console.

Squidge said:
I've not found anything yet ;)

Well, actually, the only thing I thought of was the ext port. The F100 had 'USB Device' on it's ext port (linked directly to the SoC), assuming this isn't another fubar by GPH, you should be able to hook into this and wire it directly to your PC, meaning all the usually stuff will start working again once a suitable environment is setup.

Alternatively, you can do PPPD over UART, but that's also on the ext port and if your going to wire up to that, you might as well wire up to the usb above. If you want less overhead, you can just use the serial port as a debug console.
What about creating a new kernel module by getting the following url and modifying the code to redirect all incoming/outcoming USB data to bang directly TCP/IP linux calls? Emulating a 2272 this way would be priceless.

http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/d...get/dummy_hcd.c

Sphinxter said:
Franxis said:

Why?
- 2x the GP2X power.
- better screen.
- better authonomy.
- less size and weight.
- cheap.

The blood of students and peasants are on that dpad but hey it's your kharma, so what if every time you boot up a newborn baby is crushed under a PLA boot. You saved a whopping $40 so it's cool.

Be sure and get that tested for lead too. Twice as powerful and you'll get 6 hours out of a 1000 mah battery, hah, pull the other one it's got big ben on it.

What is authonomy and how could it possibly be better behind the bamboo curtain?

Oh, please! So, what are we supposed to do, boycott them all back into the extreme poverty that led them to Communism in the first place? The Soviets once claimed that they would overcome us from within. Well, the capitalist drive to satisfy ones own material interests is now "overcoming from within" both the former Soviet Union and China. It's a slow process and there are going to be many setbacks along the way, but the more prosperous and technologically advanced the average citizen becomes within those countries, the more likely it is that they will eventually liberate _themselves_.

As far as hacking Chinese PMPs goes, I think there is some justice in taking their most capable designs (like those based upon Analog Device's Blackfin DSP) and opening them up through reverse engineering. The Chinese steal hardware and firmware designs from each other and everyone else anyway, so they are fair game. In addition, it has become clear that the "borrowed" open-source emulators used without credit within the JXD301 firmware put them in violation of the Gnu GPL so, legally, their firmware should be open source anyway.

The risk in doing this comes from the uncertainty that JXD's JXD301 design will remain significantly unchanged for any period of time. However, I suspect that the vast majority of sales of such a device come from the billions of potential customers in Asia, so I seriously doubt that changes would intentionally be made to counter any western hacking efforts. The other MP4/PMP chipsets appear to be pretty much crap for game emulation, so the Chinese might stick with the Blackfin for a while. If they do, reverse engineering might be worthwhile as it would lilkely be applicable to an entire series of their copycat handhelds.

In a photo of the Ainol V2000 MP4 player's PC board found on an MP4 site, the markings on one of the ICs has been intentionally ground off, so they are apparently trying to avoid easy reverse engineering. The V2000 is basically a JXD301 in a different case with controls not intended for game play.

Edit: The HM-1303, the third (that I know of) Blackfin-based PMP has just been announced:

http://www.pmptoday.com/2007/11/11/gaming-...olide/#comments

I still can't believe the advertisement for the ainol says:

"Get Life. Get Ainol."

Sounds kinda funny to me :D

woogal said:
Alex. said:
However, I think the GP2X 'deserves' to be coded for more than these flavour-of-the-month clone-ish PMPs that come out every six months. I bet it's a lot more fun too, not to mention that it's backed by such a great and supportive community :)
That's the GP32 community you're thinking about. The GP2X community only cares about emulators and getting something for nothing.

Sorry, but this is not true. BTW, how is the JXD community? Or the PSP? Or the PC?

@Alex

Nice post as always.

Back