Tales of an Assembly

Let's settle down and read ED's post again. The shoulder button issue is a tolerance thing and an inconsistency on some units.
I suppose it's still a bit of a gamble, but work on all units and I'd like to think they'll be very fine to use on most too.

It's not an ideal situation, but at least they'd be easily replaceable in the future too if one really gets a unit with terrible shoulder buttons... though I get the feeling ED wouldn't even send out ones that bad.

Well, ED does say he'll spend the time to work out how to make the shoulder buttons feels the same.

Word for word:
3. All shoulder buttons work - but the travel distance of the upper shoulder buttons on some units is a bit short. I'll also figure out how to improve that so they feel the same on all units.
Don't you trust him?

So it's a good thing the ED is tending to those Pyra cases so that the shoulder buttons seem similar in action, I'd say!
There is no guarantee he will be able to fix that issue *by hand* (he also never said he could fix that issue by hand, and could be referring to tweaking the mould for the "next batch" of Pyra cases), you're (pyrat & levi) assuming too much.

Don't you trust him?
:|You are not paying attention. I did say this right at the end, also, no, I don't trust ANYONE blindly:
I want to be clear, I'm not blaming ED for any of this
ED clearly states that there are problems with the basic action/functionality of the shoulder buttons preventing them from working properly. (that's why he said he was going to fix them). this says they wont work as well as they should.

Last edited:
ED clearly states that there are problems with the basic action/functionality of the shoulder buttons preventing them from working properly. (that's why he said he was going to fix them). this says they wont work as well as they should.

Errmm... no? I said that they all work, but the upper ones have a short travel distance on some units.
Which means they just don't feel perfect, but they work.

There is no guarantee he will be able to fix that issue *by hand* (he also never said he could fix that issue by hand, and could be referring to tweaking the mould for the "next batch" of Pyra cases), you're (pyrat & levi) assuming too much.
True, he does say that in a section headed 'these features mark out the first batch'. Eh, well, we'll wait and see what he can do.

well, I'm like, #88(hard to tell for sure with ED's handwriting, but no later than that) on the pre-preorder list, so I'll need to figure out what I'll do sooner rather than later... and without having any way to feel/know how different those 2 shoulder buttons are, I'm not sure what to do.

I wouldn't worry that much. There will be some ways to tweak your unit. Or you replace the affected parts with new ones at a later date.

Reactions: rSl
Since it sounds like replacement cases (prototype and not) are going to be readily available in some capacity, I don't think a small tolerance issue like that is much of an issue.
Plenty of documentation on case replacement, and with the low cost of the cases from DragonBox, probably would give you an excuse to try a new color.

The other info whit the place for OS Bug Reports and Infos on the Status wasn’t commentary:
This I a good Idea, maybe it would also be cool to have some place where you write some stuff about how to use the Pyra at this early state of the OS Development:
How to recharge, how to get Software, and how to get the latest update..

I have experienced on the Pandora, but there are some differences to the Pyra..

Send from something, i guess ^^

Sorry to see you unhappy, @ImmaculateChimp.
I thought of telling you to get your unit now and sell it to me if you don't like it. But then I'd have to cancel my preorder, besides I'm afraid we won't get the same model, and maybe I shouldn't trust you blindly either, so I won't offer you the option. Maybe someone closer to you, socially or geographically could offer to take the risk for you. If I were you I wouldn't wait, but if you want to wait, what's another 2 Months? If you didn't cancel yet, it means you can wait, you were never sure of the date or even the absolute security that it would eventually be ready sometime. Maybe wait until other people closer to you get theirs and if someone wants to let you try one you'll be more sure of how you like it. But I think you can trust ED not to ship something bad, and can order now (or as soon as you get the email).
I still think that it is fortunate for you that you have options (deserved fortune, no privilege). I can only wait.

Ooh sounds like i am in the sweet spot. I am early in the preorder batch not the pre-pre order batch. I should recieve a nice wholesome pyra well adjusted pyra.

Ditnt got an Email yet, but i just prepared my Desktop for the Pyra: seems like i need a bigger and Powered Hub: i have now USB 3,5 # Disc Drive, 500 gb Mobile Storage HDD, my good old Logithech Keyboard, and the Mouse Dongle on 2 Unpowered Hubs, and only 2 Ports free for USB Stick or something,
But i also prepare a Mini HDMI Adapter on a HDMI Cable, and a Mikro USB Cable which gos to my Desktop Power Supply..
I can work whit the Pyra, but maybe a bigger Mobile HDD (or SSD), an Optical Drive whit Burner (DVD Rom or Blueray) and a Hub whit more ports, would be great..

now that the pyra is finally upon on us, i seem to vaguely remember something being mentioned a long time ago about purchasing a screen protector "factory" pre-installed. this is an immensely appealling option to me as i am terrible at applying those plastic sheets properly; there's always multiple air bubbles, trapped dust, etc. is this still a thing? did i hallucinate this? i'm happy to throw a little extra cash in ED's direction to have this done right.

TrashyMG Today at 2:21 PM

Not sure any Pyra's ended up shipping today, have a feeling they're solidifying the firmware/OS that will go on the shipped units, from grumblings on IRC today.
And Trashy would know if any Pyras shipped, being Pyra #4.

Well, it'd be a curious day to start shipping pyras. December 28th it's a kind of April fools day in some countries, a festivity where lies and pranks are traditional, but in Trinidad and Tobago catholics have their toys blessed today ?
I don't need my Pyra blessed in a Catholic church in Trinidad and Tobago and sent back. We could skip that

Even if no Pyra was ship, today may got more Pyra be preeassampled,

I hope for my Email soon, because in Vacations its easy to make the Order in time, but next week im back at work..

• Love
Back