Tegra K1

Damn ED, you sure like to poop on some benchmarks. I just thought it was interesting seeing something that says it outperforms a current gen Intel integrated GPU on a laptop.

I know the point of using a tegra chip in pyra is just dead, but this is the only thread about the K1 so I thought I would post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also note that this GPU alone, while very low power compared to desktop PC GPUs, still consumes 2 Watt on its own (the whole SoC consumes up to 5 Watt). For comparison, when I stress-test the GPU, my 1GHz Pandora consumes 1.8 Watt, and that is including the CPU, the display and everything.

In other words, battery life would suffer a lot. Considering that the battery will be the same, and the screen will be larger both in size as in pixels, maintaining battery life will be tricky enough as it is already. We don't need a GPU that adds another full Pandora worth of power consumption to the mix.

What if he sent lots of cute emotes :3 :3 :3 :) :) :) :D :D :D
vwRSHps.jpg
that's waht i was gonna say, nothing to loose.

ED said that some details will be revealed at FOSDEM. I guess we'll just have to wait for that... :p
Is ED the Pandora creator?

@EssoAir:  For PYRA 1, smooth dreamcast and smooth ppsspp is enough.  Gamecube/Wii and PS2/Xbox emulations are for PYRA 2.  If PYRA 1 can run Dreamcast games and PSP games 100% like PCSX-ReArmed now on Pandora,  I am all set for the next 5 years from the PYRA 1 launch date. :)

Edit:  PS3, XBox360, and WiiU are for PYRA 3.  That's my timeline  :)
I thought the K1 is an ARM cpu?

Is ED the Pandora creator?
EvilDragon was one of several Pandora founders, he currently runs production in Germany, which was originally controlled by Craig. There are many people behind the scenes that contributed to the Pandora Design work, Like Mweston and such.

I thought the K1 is an ARM cpu?
It is, he's talking about dreams of future emulation.

That's missleading to say that about peak loads and battery life .  Yes under full load the Quad A15 K1 will use more power than the SOC in the Pandora.  But at full load it would be doing more work than the Pandora is capable of.  

Under the same loads , the power consumption probably would be much more comparable.

The real interesting question will be the Dual core Cortex A57 based K1. Supposedly from what I've read, the Cortex A57 are much more power efficient than an Cortex A15

The real interesting question will be the Dual core Cortex A57 based K1. Supposedly from what I've read, the Cortex A57 are much more power efficient than an Cortex A15
Tegra K1r2 (unofficial name.. seriously nVidia, you can't announce it with a different name?) is using nVidia's custom Denver core, not Cortex-A57. We know little about it, including how power efficient it is. Then again, we know little about A57 too, and whoever said it's much more power efficient than Cortex-A15 was probably making things up.

Tegra K1r2 (unofficial name.. seriously nVidia, you can't announce it with a different name?) is using nVidia's custom Denver core, not Cortex-A57. We know little about it, including how power efficient it is. Then again, we know little about A57 too, and whoever said it's much more power efficient than Cortex-A15 was probably making things up.
The power efficiency quote came from an ARM tech in an interview I read/watched about 6 months ago.  He was saying that they weren't real happy with the power efficiency of the A15 and that the A57 etc will bring big improvements in that area.

Sorry I meant to say I thought Denver was based on ARMv8 ? (rather than Cortex A57) - that's the rumour anyway.

The CPU is not even tested here, and I still doubt you can expect 3D games on the Pyra that need that much 3D horsepower... that's mostly for commercial game development.
What's wrong if Pyra has the power to run commercial games?  I would love to see that :D  Retro games are nice and all, but we want to play new commercial games too. :D

That's missleading to say that about peak loads and battery life .  Yes under full load the Quad A15 K1 will use more power than the SOC in the Pandora.  But at full load it would be doing more work than the Pandora is capable of.  

Under the same loads , the power consumption probably would be much more comparable.

here area few things that pop in mind when i read your post. more powerfull cpus don't have to fle thier muscles as much as the CPUs prior. newer CPUs tend to have smaller a "nm" die. at full load like you said it's making way more power than the pandora has now, aka crazy 3d graphics or possibly GC/wii emualtion.  even if it does suck down the juice you are gonna get an hour or 2 given the current pandora can get 8 to 10 hours.

I haven't seen anyone do it lately, but they used to have undervolted/underclocked kernels on phones to help with battery life.

I can't see this helping the pandora right now because most people throw it more mhz/OPP's than it's capable of on paper right out of the box 600mhz->800+mhz

but surely there's a spectrum of W per mhz on whatever the pyra's going to be running (omap5?) that can be manipulated and artificially cap it at an exceptable level (1ghz/1 core?) to help extend the battery life.

I have heard what vcoleiro has said in many different ways, the max wattage drawl is for the max mhz that its capable at running at, along with the GPU doing stuff in most cases. I know on the shield if you're not using all the fancy graphics enhancements battery life is nearly doubled. The performance per hz plus the smaller manufacturing process almost guarentees if you were to scale it down to the realm of what the pandora is operating at NOW, you should get even better battery life if the rest of the hardware remains the same.

@strigoi- sony already has one

Yes, I get that, but does it also apply to GPUs? Power saving for CPUs tends to be relatively good, but what's the situation for GPUs? I'm asking because I don't know, it's not a rhetorical question. I assume that it uses no or nearly no power when not used at all, but if you use it a bit (e.g. to render some simple scenes at low resolution), does it really use less power than when you use it all the way?

The CPU is not even tested here, and I still doubt you can expect 3D games on the Pyra that need that much 3D horsepower... that's mostly for commercial game development.
What's wrong if Pyra has the power to run commercial games?  I would love to see that :D  Retro games are nice and all, but we want to play new commercial games too. :D
Weeell, it probably can run all Android games, even the latest ones today, and I doubt there will be many Android games JUST for the Tegra K1 (only very few Android games used the special features of the Tegra3 as well).

Android games are made to run on a variety of devices, not only the K1 :)

And expecting commercial games exclusive for the Pyra.... naaah.

Unless you get one million people to buy the, from me...

Weeell, it probably can run all Android games, even the latest ones today, and I doubt there will be many Android games JUST for the Tegra K1 (only very few Android games used the special features of the Tegra3 as well).

Android games are made to run on a variety of devices, not only the K1 :)

And expecting commercial games exclusive for the Pyra.... naaah.

Unless you get one million people to buy the, from me...
OK I get your point. :)

Off topic, talking about commercial games, is it difficult to approach third party game developers like EA, Namco, Edios Interactive, etc and ask them " Hey since you guys have already developed games for the Vita, 3DS, and other Mobile devices (iphones, iPads, Samsung Galaxy, etc) can you also port them to the Pyra?"  Would they be interested?

Back