Tegra K1

Off topic, talking about commercial games, is it difficult to approach third party game developers like EA, Namco, Edios Interactive, etc and ask them " Hey since you guys have already developed games for the Vita, 3DS, and other Mobile devices (iphones, iPads, Samsung Galaxy, etc) can you also port them to the Pyra?"  Would they be interested?
nope, there is a higher chance that the hell freeze earlier than having a positive reply to this question

Off topic, talking about commercial games, is it difficult to approach third party game developers like EA, Namco, Edios Interactive, etc and ask them " Hey since you guys have already developed games for the Vita, 3DS, and other Mobile devices (iphones, iPads, Samsung Galaxy, etc) can you also port them to the Pyra?"  Would they be interested?
That's like asking "Hey this stuff runs on Windows and Mac OS X, why not add in (x86) Linux?" before Steam officially announced its Linux support, most likely even worse.

Best realistic chance of having commercial games is to also run android. Most publishers have an allow by default policy. There are some exceptions like Gameloft who "certify" their games on different devices and have to be side loaded if you want to install on a non certified make/model. But with a market of under 10k I think you would have a hard time getting independent publishers to target the pyra let alone a big studio. Hell it's hard to get some game developers to add support for the shield and its sold way more than the pyra will ever hope to and all they have to do is add some additional button mappings not a whole different OS.

The only functional difference in not using the K1, besides the (probably significant) raw performance, is the lack of nvidia's game stream and grid services. But if you want that you probably own a shield anyway. That is if the shim thing can be made and it has no significant impact on performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I get that, but does it also apply to GPUs? Power saving for CPUs tends to be relatively good, but what's the situation for GPUs? I'm asking because I don't know, it's not a rhetorical question. I assume that it uses no or nearly no power when not used at all, but if you use it a bit (e.g. to render some simple scenes at low resolution), does it really use less power than when you use it all the way?
Modern GPUs do have DVFS.

Now id like to see some people here form a team and develope a high quality game for pyra.

Ed might give a dev pyra to such a group too.

Any game made could be sold commercially on other platforms.

You make it sound so much like it's not 40h/week for a year or more for multiple people like most commercial games are :p

I'm assuming things about the title because of stuff said in this thread (mostly regarding graphical fidelity).

I don't like big commercial games. They're often just a semi-interactive B-movie with impressive graphics but not much of a plot, and very little or no originality in terms of gameplay. I don't feel like wasting my time with that, let alone pay for it.

I don't like big commercial games. They're often just a semi-interactive B-movie with impressive graphics but not much of a plot, and very little or no originality in terms of gameplay. I don't feel like wasting my time with that, let alone pay for it.
They mostly are like this for quite some years now, yes.

Hooray for all those masses on high quality indie games we have today!

It's a great time for gaming again!

PS: I Like Microbes, is it still Pandora exclusive or do you have some ports of it by now?

I wouldn't even say the majority of commercial games are polished fluff. Sure there is a lot that are especially on mobiles, but I can think of tons of commercial titles with excellent depth and gameplay.

The rebirth Pandora can do quite well on Unreal Engine 3 Demo (Epic Citadel) even bogged down by the mess they call Android, the omap5 has something significantly better than what the 1GHz has. It should be able handle everything currently in the google playstore, minus the Tegra only games. Well if your into that whole Android thing..

PS: I Like Microbes, is it still Pandora exclusive or do you have some ports of it by now?
Oh! come on!  Then we don't need a PYRA.  Pandora can do Microbes-like games very well all day  :(

Well if your into that whole Android thing..
It is important.

Even if I dislike Android, especially the interface and the whole touch orientated stuff there are some nice games.

I would love to play Dungeon Defenders on Pandora but it's too slow to handle it.

I don't talk about the thousands of crap games but the few great ones.

that is sort of misleading, the differences in "tegra enhanced" will not be the same as the difference between opengles 3.0 vs opengles 2.0 when applications start using it. There will need to be something other than a configuration hack to get those applications to work properly.

I do agree some of the "enhancements" are marketing like I was saying why gameloft artificially limits the devices their games can be ran on listed in google play store.

Oh! come on!  Then we don't need a PYRA.  Pandora can do Microbes-like games very well all day  :(
But not Dreamcast and PSP fluently. ;)

And I get the feeling, that ED might have in mind getting P2 ready for games from the Humblestore. :X

minus the Tegra only games.
I dare say they'd work as well. http://www.androidpit.com/nvidia-tegra-3
It's just like 8GB RAM and DirectX10 in WinXP.... possible with hacks.

These artificial restrictions are really evil marketing habits and should result in mass boykott.

I don't buy from Nvidia, Microsoft and Steam (online activations) simply as a form of consumer activism. Everyone is free to do that.

Good to see those hackers as a pain in the ass of these companies though. :D

It's still only for Pandora. Anyone is free to port it of course, it's GPL'ed. But the controls are tailored to the Pandora, so it may need some adaptation. E.g. it would be a bit of work to make it playable with (multi)touch only.

NubNub has the same problem by the way: there are not that many open devices out there with two nubs :)

But not Dreamcast and PSP fluently. ;)

And I get the feeling, that ED might have in mind getting P2 ready for games from the Humblestore. :X
That's impossible. They are all x86 games, they don't run on arm. And it's almost a hundred percent sure which arm soc he will use and even more secure that it will be an arm soc.

that is sort of misleading, the differences in "tegra enhanced" will not be the same as the difference between opengles 3.0 vs opengles 2.0 when applications start using it. There will need to be something other than a configuration hack to get those applications to work properly.

I do agree some of the "enhancements" are marketing like I was saying why gameloft artificially limits the devices their games can be ran on listed in google play store.
The difference is even worse.

Nvidia let it sound like they use special functions that others can do, and that simply wasn't true.

OpenGLES 3.0 is a specification, a layer on top of a GPU.

Basically ever GPU can do that when you code the driver for it, so who knows what SoCs might be OpenGLES 3.0 compliant.

As was mentioned before in this thread, thanks to Lunixbochs we basically have true OpenGL running on the Pandora as well.

Sent from my Xperia Pro using Tapatalk

Back