Temper Bugs/suggestions/compatibility Issues

In Die Hard(J) if you press the new F200 D-Pad (all the 4 buttons at the same time) the character stops and spin in the same place if you try to move again after pressing the 4 d-pad buttons.

Sorry for my bad english :p

Rivroner said:
In Die Hard(J) if you press the new F200 D-Pad (all the 4 buttons at the same time) the character stops and spin in the same place if you try to move again after pressing the 4 d-pad buttons.

Sorry for my bad english :p
I'm kind of wondering if that's a bug in the emulator or if the game is confused by you pressing conflicting d-pad directions at the same time. Or is F200 supposed to do something else with those four pressed? I know it was said to emulate stick click but I heard that this isn't the case in practice.

noldor73 said:
b_o_b said:
The crashing of Temper is very reproducible for me. It crashes every time after starting a game for the second time (after cold boot and exiting Temper once) with gmenu2x 0.9.

[edit] not experienced the crash on exit yet and I must have tried the above for at least 15 times. After a cold boot the games always work.
I have the same bug. I tried to make some reset but the emu still crash. I'm using 2.1.2 (notaz version) firmware.

What game is this reproducible for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
All games. I've tried more than one, and also switched between games.

Exophase said:
With every games I have tried.
If I use a remote shell and run the emu on command line, all is right: no crash.
If I launch the emu from gmenu2x or the standard gp2xmenu I can launch the emu only once after a reset. On the second run, when I will launch a game the emu will freeze (not a crash, seems a loop... I can stop it from the shell with ctrl+c and then relaunch it by command line without problem but I cannot further launch it from the gui).

noldor73 said:
Exophase said:
With every games I have tried.
If I use a remote shell and run the emu on command line, all is right: no crash.
If I launch the emu from gmenu2x or the standard gp2xmenu I can launch the emu only once after a reset. On the second run, when I will launch a game the emu will freeze (not a crash, seems a loop... I can stop it from the shell with ctrl+c and then relaunch it by command line without problem but I cannot further launch it from the gui).

Okay, I guess I didn't notice it was so regular since I usually load from command line for testing. I'll see if I can figure it out.

tried a lot of games @ 150cpu .. full speed and great sound output even if lowered
i miss scale-options and i miss my dad :)

i <3 Exophase :)

Exophase said:
I'm kind of wondering if that's a bug in the emulator or if the game is confused by you pressing conflicting d-pad directions at the same time.
Yeah, I wouldn't class that as a bug. It's not something you're likely to come across on the real hardware, or even a real d-pad for that matter. I know of some NES emulators that filter out conflicting direction presses - notaz did this in GPFCE IIRC.

Nice work on the emulator Exophase. It's not a system I'm familiar with, so I'm really enjoying discovering some games :)

fishybawb said:
Exophase said:
I'm kind of wondering if that's a bug in the emulator or if the game is confused by you pressing conflicting d-pad directions at the same time.
Yeah, I wouldn't class that as a bug. It's not something you're likely to come across on the real hardware, or even a real d-pad for that matter. I know of some NES emulators that filter out conflicting direction presses - notaz did this in GPFCE IIRC.

Nice work on the emulator Exophase. It's not a system I'm familiar with, so I'm really enjoying discovering some games :)

Yes, I was thinking about filtering it out too.

For the people with performance issues, you might have another mmuhack loaded. You could try /sbin/rmmod mmuhack beforehand to get rid of it.

EDIT: notaz told me that Temper isn't finding mmuhack.o for him (in fact, I'm not sure why it is for me), could you try doing insmod ./mmuhack.o before running it? Someone who is having the performance problems and can telnet into their GP2X could do this, and if it improves things I could upload a shell script for everyone else to run.

Yes, just open any text editor, type this single line
CODE

insmod ./mmuhack.o; ./temper.gpe

save it as temper_mmu.gpe in temper directory and run it from your GP2X.

notaz said:
CODE

Works great, thanks Notaz!

notaz said:
CODE

Thanks notaz. I'll be sure to have it fixed in the next version.

Once I exit the emu to run something different, there is no sound coming out of the speakers. I'm surprised that nobody has said anything about this. I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this problem :huh:

F-100 FW 2.1.1

Shifty said:
Once I exit the emu to run something different, there is no sound coming out of the speakers. I'm surprised that nobody has said anything about this. I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this problem :huh:

F-100 FW 2.1.1
It's the same issue as the one causing it to freeze after the second run. I've fixed it in my build so expect an update this weekend.

Exophase said:
Shifty said:

F-100 FW 2.1.1
It's the same issue as the one causing it to freeze after the second run. I've fixed it in my build so expect an update this weekend.

Thank you very much :)

After I did the MMU GPE script, all the speed issues went away.

The only thing I noticed is that if you assign turbo buttons (I used A & Y for turbo I and II) and press a direction, the button stops firing until the stick is let up. (no direction pushed) The normal buttons seem to work fine while pressing a direction. Try it with Bonk's Adventure to do the spinning after a jump to see what I mean.

Great emulator!!! :D I bought my 2X and have been waiting for this release since then. Keep it up. If I wasn't married now I could donate.... :(

-Kensupen

I think I've observed another bug, although I'm not familiar enough with Parasol Stars to be certain (it could always be a bad rom or something). In any event, after grabbing a bottle that filled the entire level with rainbows and spawned a countdown, the level refused to end (I believe it should do so once the countdown hits 0) and just sits there playing music and letting you run around.

The bug only occurs if you get this powerup, and in the game, I was only given the opportunity to get it once, so I'm guessing it'd be fairly rare, but it's definitely present, whether it's a problem with the game or the emu. I have a savestate if it'd help (just before you grab the bottle).

Soldier Blade occasionally goes down as low as 50/60, but the speed never dips. No problems, just thought I'd mention that. :)

Noremakk said:
Soldier Blade occasionally goes down as low as 50/60, but the speed never dips. No problems, just thought I'd mention that. :)
Yes but it might've frame skipped a bit and you just didn't notice. Did you try overclocking a bit? This game can be a little heavy. Also did you do what notaz mentioned in this thread to speed things up with the mmuhack?

geise69 said:
Noremakk said:
Yes but it might've frame skipped a bit and you just didn't notice. Did you try overclocking a bit? This game can be a little heavy. Also did you do what notaz mentioned in this thread to speed things up with the mmuhack?

There's no frameskipping. The mmuhack script is no longer necessary (it's probably because it was doing it after the ROM chdir, not because it wasn't ./'d). Super Star Solider is idle loop patching now too. If you don't notice a dip in audio then it definitely didn't drop in speed long enough to register such a big drop on the FPS counter. What could have caused it is save/load state, entering/exiting the menu (does register a speed loss for a timing interval), or some other external interruption.

My suggestion is to stop being obsessive and turn off the fps counter. Maybe I should remove it ;)

Exophase said:
geise69 said:
Noremakk said:

There's no frameskipping. The mmuhack script is no longer necessary (it's probably because it was doing it after the ROM chdir, not because it wasn't ./'d). Super Star Solider is idle loop patching now too. If you don't notice a dip in audio then it definitely didn't drop in speed long enough to register such a big drop on the FPS counter. What could have caused it is save/load state, entering/exiting the menu (does register a speed loss for a timing interval), or some other external interruption.

My suggestion is to stop being obsessive and turn off the fps counter. Maybe I should remove it ;)

Hey, you're the one who said to post any games that don't run at 60/60 at 200mhz. Just doing as you asked. ;)

Back