Temper For The Gp32?

As soon as Exophase releases the latest bug fixed version of Temper for the GP2X then he will pass the source code to me and I will port to the GP32.
However, Exo's GP2X has a broken USB port so can't finish GP2X Temper. Until the GP2X is fixed/replaced no work can be done. :)

slaanesh said:
As soon as Exophase releases the latest bug fixed version of Temper for the GP2X then he will pass the source code to me and I will port to the GP32.
However, Exo's GP2X has a broken USB port so can't finish GP2X Temper. Until the GP2X is fixed/replaced no work can be done. :)
Is there a special need for a developer to have a working usb port? Is there debugging software that run in the background and sends information over the port? I'm curious, because I haven't used my gp2x to install software in ages, I use a usb card reader/writer. I'm just curious.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:

I offered to fix his GP2X (s). I would even try to fix the one with the busted SD slot if he wanted.

I already modded the one. I live pretty close so post time would be short.

Exophase:

If you wanted to test some CD games could the one with the busted slot still be used by putting a smaller game ISO on the NAND and deleting some of the later level OGG files? Just a thought. Even if you did that and released ia new version I would still fix one or both of your GP2Xs. I would just do it as a donation as I have enjoyed the emu allot so far.

If you need me to fix it just let me know.

I've thought about using the busted one, but I'd prefer not to if possible (and I think its USB port is on its way out too, because it's quite wobbly). Temper can't work without some appropriately sized audio tracks.

I know a person at work who does soldering, I'm just waiting for him to show him. He isn't really there at steady times. Once I see him I'll ask him if he's up for it and if he isn't then I'll send it out to DaveC or geise69.

I kind of have a lot of things to worry about right now, plus I have been working on gpSP (really this time, no lie) so I haven't been in a huge hurry to wrap up things. Temper is mostly "good enough", IMO, this version isn't that big of a deal (and I don't think a GP32 port would exactly happen over night). If you want to play Exile I hear there's a Sega CD version.

Exophase said:
I've thought about using the busted one, but I'd prefer not to if possible (and I think its USB port is on its way out too, because it's quite wobbly). Temper can't work without some appropriately sized audio tracks.

I know a person at work who does soldering, I'm just waiting for him to show him. He isn't really there at steady times. Once I see him I'll ask him if he's up for it and if he isn't then I'll send it out to DaveC or geise69.

I kind of have a lot of things to worry about right now, plus I have been working on gpSP (really this time, no lie) so I haven't been in a huge hurry to wrap up things. Temper is mostly "good enough", IMO, this version isn't that big of a deal (and I don't think a GP32 port would exactly happen over night). If you want to play Exile I hear there's a Sega CD version.
Well Ok.

I didn't expect that this version was a huge deal and it is very good as is, but it would have been nice to have the few bug fixes, speedups, and fullscreen modes and nothing else in the one you mentioned before. Many times there will be "maintenance" releases that aren't a bombshell, but clean up a few rough edges. I don't know if that version was stable or not though. If so, it would be a worthwhile update since it will probably be a long time otherwise.

Yeah I can play Exile on Sega CD, I am not sure how it compares, many times the TG-16 Versions are nicer looking. There are plenty of other games to mess with though so I can wait for Exile, not a big deal.

Either way I will still fix your GP2X for you if you would like just let me know.

Thanks again for everything.

Guy at work agreed to solder it. He wants to see the insides too. Even better, he has a soldering iron right here. So it should get done tomorrow, yay ;)

Exophase said:
Guy at work agreed to solder it. He wants to see the insides too. Even better, he has a soldering iron right here. So it should get done tomorrow, yay ;)
That is good.

Just make sure he aligns the notch in the rubber piece on the d-pad in my d-pad mod. The notch in the rubber should go around the metal pin toward the top of the unit. If he doesn't do that right, the responsiveness of the pad will not be right, or may not work at all if way off.

Good luck.

Sorry guys, I met with the person today (he wasn't in before) but this is going to take longer than expected because the leads from the motherboard were in terrible shape or outright missing. Upon his request I ordered some conductive paint. He tested the leads and knows what he's doing so I think he'll be able to get it fixed up, it'll just take a little longer than expected.

Don't worry DaveC, I don't think we could hurt the dpod mod from this position if we tried ^_-

grahf said:
I don't have a gp32, but im glad you guys are making this happen.
I DO have a GP32, and I'm glad that you guys are making this happen. ;)

Saving would be excellent.

Also, GP32 doesn't have SegaCD emulation, so this would be the first "CD" system, I think.

My conductive paint arrived, so I just have to wait for when my buddy is at work :B I'll post again when it's actually done (and if it actually works)

Exophase said:
My conductive paint arrived, so I just have to wait for when my buddy is at work :B I'll post again when it's actually done (and if it actually works)
I wonder if that paint can handle the current and voltage of a USB? I have my doubts.

Couldn't the Port be wired back with small jumper wires? I would think that to be a more robust fix.

Good luck.

DaveC said:
Exophase said:
I wonder if that paint can handle the current and voltage of a USB? I have my doubts.

Couldn't the Port be wired back with small jumper wires? I would think that to be a more robust fix.

Good luck.

No, it's too cramped. The wires necessary would be too small and it'd be too much of a tight fit even then. I'll ask him about the current/voltage when he's in.

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
Exophase said:

Good luck.

No, it's too cramped. The wires necessary would be too small and it'd be too much of a tight fit even then. I'll ask him about the current/voltage when he's in.

I bet I could do it. If the repair fails and you want let me know, I could repair it with fine wires. If the connections are so thin I think one would have a hard time doing it with paint and not having the paint run together.

I second the notion that it's certainly fixable. I worked on stuff much tinier than mini-usb ports. Its simply a matter of having the right equipment. Im sure Dave can fix it if your buddy can't. I know I could for sure, but i'm out of the US.

He ended up using small wires afterall, but I just want to point out that the traces on the motherboard were close to non-existent (the USB socket pulled them clear out when it broke off), which is why he didn't think he'd be able to do it. It was a very difficult and tight job but I'm happy to say that he was able to get it working. So I'll be wrapping up Temper really soon now.

He also reinforced the USB on my other GP2X, but unfortunately the SD slot is busted beyond repair and needs to be replaced with a new one.

Exophase said:
He ended up using small wires afterall, but I just want to point out that the traces on the motherboard were close to non-existent (the USB socket pulled them clear out when it broke off), which is why he didn't think he'd be able to do it. It was a very difficult and tight job but I'm happy to say that he was able to get it working. So I'll be wrapping up Temper really soon now.

He also reinforced the USB on my other GP2X, but unfortunately the SD slot is busted beyond repair and needs to be replaced with a new one.
Awesome. Good news for you, good news for us. First the great Picodrive gets a nice update, and the awesome Temper soon, It seems the GP2X still has a few gasps of life in it yet thanks to you guys :)

(if you/he can't fix the SD slot on the other I still offer to do it, having a backup is always good, especially now)

DaveC said:
(if you/he can't fix the SD slot on the other I still offer to do it, having a backup is always good, especially now)
You're willing to order a new one?

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
You're willing to order a new one?

I would, they are only a couple of bucks through Digikey. If you would think you are going to send it, let me know and I will order the part first. Then I could fix it as soon as I get it.

Back