Tethering On Blackberry

Mr.Gonzo

*implode*
Website
www.myspace.com
BUT I did some (advanced) searching and i can't seem to find my answer.

I'm Thinking of getting a CellPhone again. ( i was boycotting those little machines, used to make me crazy. )
And with the Pandora coming and the lack of wireless internet wherever i go, a blackberry (why a blackberry? my dad is the one taking care of all the contracts, fees and networking with blackberrys at his job, so i might get good discounts, free unbricking, accessories, shit like that) with a good data plan seemed like a great idea.

Canada is pretty much one of the worst place to be considering phone pricing, my home phone cost me 40$ a month And i could get a cellphone with a pretty good Data+Phone Plan for 60$.

So here's my question.
Since i know blackberry hate linux (well, no port of Tetherberry after all this time) i would like to know if Berry4all will be ported and if there is anything better than this for doing the job.

If i just ruined your day and you are already reaching for your Flame Thrower, please forgive my innocence, i'm just a poor artist with my cross to bear.
Be gentle

-Mr.Gonzo

I would suggest an Android phone, root it and install the wifi tether app. It works really well for me, and as an added bonus, Cyanogen's roms for Roger's G1 and MyTouch eliminates the 911 bug in those phones.

Well if they are not too expensive, i might consider it.

Anyone had any experience with Android phones/fees in canada, and its tethering capabilities?

So what about blackberry?

Mr.Gonzo said:
Well if they are not too expensive, i might consider it.

Anyone had any experience with Android phones/fees in canada, and its tethering capabilities?

So what about blackberry?
pdanet

http://www.junefabrics.com/blackberry/index.php

EDIT: strongly discourage you from teathering in canada... they are pretty leanant in the states, but I've heard direct reports of a guy in canada that had his service shut off cause he was tethering. He was on vodaphone IIRC?

as far as quality, he said it was good while it lasted dsl speed, went on for 2 months before getting cut off.

Last edited by a moderator:
jb0yx said:
pdanet

http://www.junefabrics.com/blackberry/index.php

This looks pretty amazing, i don't really get why we should buy the product though, they seem to give out the download freely.
Maybe its just some kind of donation kind of thing, if you like it give us money. Just weird they have a set price.

It doesn't state anywhere that its compatible with linux though?

jb0yx said:
EDIT: strongly discourage you from teathering in canada... they are pretty leanant in the states, but I've heard direct reports of a guy in canada that had his service shut off cause he was tethering. He was on vodaphone IIRC?

as far as quality, he said it was good while it lasted dsl speed, went on for 2 months before getting cut off.

Well how could they know that i am doing so?
Maybe it depends of the provider too.

Mr.Gonzo said:
It doesn't state anywhere that its compatible with linux though?
see section on instructions on bluetooth dun it has universal compatability, just some tweaking on the linux side (this is the path i will go BT not pdanet i'll write instructions if they don't exist on release)
Well how could they know that i am doing so?
Maybe it depends of the provider too.
packet has to come from, and go to somewhere... so all the info is there if you look for it

I'm sure the guy was setting off red flags, 2-3GB a month is very easy and is about 20x what a person would normally use with a standard smart phone (this was before youtube clients) plus I think the first time you access a standard p2p port from a cell phone, it says "something just doesn't look right" to a net admin.... agian, in america, sprint anyway.... they don't care enough to look into the situation unless u are exceeding like 10gb or something, and they have yet to charge me past 5gb in a month

+1 for Android phones. I rooted my G1 and installed wifi tethering on it, and it works great. Blackberrys are fine if you just want email and messaging, but for anything beyond that, they're miserable. The browser is a joke, and there are virtually no apps for the platform. Unless you work for a company that gives you one for free, there is no reason to use a Blackberry.

Chip said:
+1 for Android phones. I rooted my G1 and installed wifi tethering on it, and it works great. Blackberrys are fine if you just want email and messaging, but for anything beyond that, they're miserable. The browser is a joke, and there are virtually no apps for the platform. Unless you work for a company that gives you one for free, there is no reason to use a Blackberry.
you going to take advantage of the free upgrade to the nexus that's in talks? I heard they will let you keep your old G1 and give you a nexus because it's not upgradeable to 2.1, hasn't been finalized I don't belive, but sounds like a sweet deal considering the phone is sim based, basically a free phone ;) (3 year contract though D= )

Chip said:
... Unless you work for a company that gives you one for free, there is no reason to use a Blackberry.

I'm one of these "unlucky" ones. I don't want to carry & pay for another phone, but I would like to be connected at anytime with the Pandora. :(

Chip said:

I'm not sure why you are talking about bb's browser? Since i was planning on using the blackberry only as a cellphone and do the browsing in the pandora. (maybe even sms in it, if it is possible).

If it was not for price differences i might get, i'd get an android for sure, these things rock.
But i'm not much of a cellphone user.

jb0yx said:
I'm sure the guy was setting off red flags, 2-3GB a month is very easy and is about 20x what a person would normally use with a standard smart phone (this was before youtube clients) plus I think the first time you access a standard p2p port from a cell phone, it says "something just doesn't look right" to a net admin.... agian, in america, sprint anyway.... they don't care enough to look into the situation unless u are exceeding like 10gb or something, and they have yet to charge me past 5gb in a month

So if i don't go over the 3G a month, and don't start p2p-ing on the go, there's almost no chance in being detected?

I plan on using the internet with it only when i'm goign to be on the go, i'll be using wifi at home for sure.
So i don't think i'll be going over the limit.
And i don't feel the need to p2p on the go either.

The only risks will be when i'll be traveling around really.
And i'm sure many of the asian countries i want to visit are flooded with Wifi.

Oh yeah, and phone companies in canada are all run by greedy Nazis.

Mr.Gonzo said:
So if i don't go over the 3G a month, and don't start p2p-ing on the go, there's almost no chance in being detected?
Your browser also gives you away. If the requests going out say that you're using full blown Firefox instead of Mobile Browser XYZ or whatever, that's another warning flag. Or requesting regular websites instead of the mobile versions. They may have flags for other things, such as flash heavy sites (not an immediate cancel, but may prompt someone to investigate), or behavior that resembles multiple tab operations like loading up two pages at the same time.
Point is, if you're doing something outside the terms of their agreement, no matter how careful you think you're being, be prepared to have that agreement terminated without notice, and don't complain if it is.

I plan on using the internet with it only when i'm goign to be on the go, i'll be using wifi at home for sure.
So i don't think i'll be going over the limit.
And i don't feel the need to p2p on the go either.

The only risks will be when i'll be traveling around really.
And i'm sure many of the asian countries i want to visit are flooded with Wifi.

Oh yeah, and phone companies in canada are all run by greedy Nazis.
don't quote me on the actual useage, but as a rule of thumb "don't go crazy" you should stay under the radar and will more than likely be fine, stay on webpages and any apps that use ports 80, 81, 443, 8080, or 8081 and if you really want to be a ninja, look into setting up a proxy server at the house then route stuff through these ports.

Stuff like online games probally will send up red flags (my guess as the most common form of potential tethering for the pandora other than web browsing we will see) just use caution, someone might be watching. o_O

@wizardstan- very true, but I'd be very surprized if they are snooping that far into each packet, one would think the port would be a dead giveaway

Chip said:
Where I work I got a BlackBerry for free. First we had the 8330 Curve and I hated it and we just upgraded to the Tour 9630, and I still hate it. I wish I could go get a phone activated with my work number but I have been told that they don't want to do that. Oh well.

To Poster of thread: Do yourself a favor get an Android phone. Trust me you will tons happier.

Mr.Gonzo said:
I shall slip under the radar like a lubed up Stealth Bomber.

Any experiences with Android and tethering in linux?
Easy stuff?
if you get a android phone that is rootable (check xda dev community; it's htc phone developer hub) if you get root on android setting up wifi tether is easy as hitting a button (most of the time it's included in the rooted image) takes some background work to get to know the android platform, but is very rewarding

connecting to mobile wifi tether is no different than connecting to wifi hotspot/router in linux, in addition android is linux based so it has alot natively in common with each other, whereas blackberry is mostly propritary javascript like base. I strongly reccomend either android or palm pre (more linuxy than android imo) minus the flashy ui, the guts are more "straight linux" android is a modified linux.

jb0yx said:
you going to take advantage of the free upgrade to the nexus that's in talks?
Sure, if it's free. Personally I don't know if I could get used to a touchscreen-only phone, but I'd take a Nexus One to play with if they're just handing them out. :) Unfortunately, they're not giving them away. In fact, as an existing T-mobile customer, I would have to pay more for an N1 than a new customer.

Mr.Gonzo said:
I'm not sure why you are talking about bb's browser? Since i was planning on using the blackberry only as a cellphone and do the browsing in the pandora. (maybe even sms in it, if it is possible).

If it was not for price differences i might get, i'd get an android for sure, these things rock.
There will be times when you don't have you Pandora handy, or don't want to get it out just to do a quick google search. Trust me, once you have a phone with a good browser, you will use it. Besides, even if tethering is the only thing you want a phone for, then Android is still the better choice because it's easier to tether. Carriers cannot prevent tethering on an Android phone.

As for price, you can get a Droid Eris for $30 on contract free on contract (at least in the US).

I hope to get working my Pearl using that way http://linuxlore.blogspot.com/2007/08/howto-tether-your-blackberry-pearl-8100.html

Wow, i'm going to get an android then.

I was about to ask if it used google Chrome so i could just use that on the pandora to set off less red flags.

But if you say they just can't f*ck with me if i have an android and its like a bulletproof vest for canadian phone nazis...
Well i'm sold.

I bet there's a gps on that bad boy too?

Back