Tethering On Blackberry

You seemed to have moved on from PdaNet, but I wanted to give my experience regardless.

I used PdaNet on my unlocked iPhone 2G with T-Mobile USA and was able to tether my phone to Ubuntu. It took a little bit of disconnecting and reconnecting until it finally worked, but it did indeed work. I just had to setup an adhoc network on my Ubuntu system and connect to that network with the iPhone, then launch PdaNet. Speed was just ok, although I should mention that I was using a hack that let me use a $5 "T-Zones" thing to get connected to the internet and I wouldn't be surprised if that was throttled so YMMV. My battery drained VERY fast so it need to stay plugged in during tethering and the phone was very warm but not enough to burn after maybe a half hour of use.

Anyway, good luck with your new phone. :)

Mr.Gonzo said:
But if you say they just can't f*ck with me if i have an android and its like a bulletproof vest for canadian phone nazis...
Well i'm sold.
No, what I said is that they cannot prevent tethering. They can't stop you from doing it, but that doesn't mean they can't ever tell when you are. Every telco has different things they look for and how hard they look, but if you consistently use a lot of bandwidth every month, and use ports that a phone normally wouldn't (BT, FTP, usenet), then they might take that as evidence that you're tethering and either charge you for it or drop your account. Nothing is totally fool-proof, since all the bits you transmit go through the fool's routers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back