That took a while...

So if i lose my Pyra down a set of concrete stairs, onto a drop and some gravel, etc. Can i just sand down the black to now be slightly concave, yes.
But will the top layer even break down so far as to need that?

Send one of the shiny ones through some testing.
If I'm not mistaken, polycarbonate doesn't take to polishing, i.e. by sanding you'd just mess it up.

I like the blue one. I'll have one of those in dark red.

Some questions remain:
Does coating mess up the precise measurements German engineering relies on? ;)
I don't see one without coating. Cover-up for something?
What are the current optimistic and pessimistic ETAs for the Pyra? (My birthday is in a month. A new contract with my mobile provider is due in October. Would be nice to have a feeling about my data volume needs by then. Cannot establish that with my xperia 10mini ;))

can't wait to see the deep red, will it be mat ?

From what I remember of the Pandora's case, these look *much* much better, I suspect the photos really don't do them justice, you can see a hint of it when you zoom in...

Edit: is it just me or is the black gloss the worst...?

Does coating mess up the precise measurements German engineering relies on? ;)

The coating doesn't change the size, that's what painting it afterwards would do.

I don't see one without coating. Cover-up for something?

Those pictures were posted days ago :)

Edit: is it just me or is the black gloss the worst...?

It looks exactly the same as the first GPD Win Revision... and that was horrible with fingerprints.
Probably the reason they changed it to matte with a later revision as well ;)

The coating doesn't change the size, that's what painting it afterwards would do.
Well, then coat away. Just send 'em, what @Neelix was kind enough to provide:
pyra_darkrednoisy_black-png.27510

They all look great! - except the glossy one, that one looks already old.

Coating is a proper way to add effects or paint. It's the same technique GPD uses for their devices.
It's almost impossible to rub it off or wear it out.

ED, you should do a scratch test with some of these semples (I vote Glossy and Baby puke at least) to se how durable it is in reality. No doubting, but test first, trust latter.

And the people have spoken: We have to see a red one! - even if that is not the one we chose by the end.

The matte dark-grey/black one is really nice. The blue is almost there, but a bit too much on the Cyan side for my tastes.
Puke, Light-grey and Piano-black are all nopes.

As people above suggest, I'd love to see something in the blood-red/maroon/crimson range of colours.

After this plastic mold nigthmare I begin to think it would have been easier, faster in METAL (¿aluminium?).

And it wold have more expensive for each unit, but it may be cheaper for development.

That blue is awesome!

Additionally, they used a color coating on a few cases to show what's possible.
Don't worry - it's not the same as painting the case (which is what happened with the Pandora).

I am concerned about this [although, admittedly, I know nothing about plastics]. The plastic case of my current laptop is a light silver colour -- probably meant to look like brushed aluminium. But forward of the keyboard, where my palms and thumbs rest, the coating has worn through to a dark grey colour. It looks awful, dirty and unhygienic; but it's not dirt, it's just the underlying plastic showing through the coating. [Of course, I have no way of knowing if the manufacturing technique used was in any way similar to that being considered for the Pyra.]

So, in my uninformed opinion at least, I think that if a coating is used to improve the appearance of the finish, then the colour of the coating should be closely matched to the colour of the underlying plastic; or the colour of the underlying plastic should be closely matched to the colour of the coating.

Without coating is it matte BLACK?

If its is black, is it matte black or glossy black?

... headache for radio signals, an inferior material for electronic devices such as this one.

Those must be the reasons there are no smartphones with metal body :)

The antennas can get very simple plastic windows in the housing (simple solution), or can be layed outside like most metal smartphones do under a small picede of plastic (I suppose more complex solution).

Heavier....

Heavier: it depends on metal/alloy and resistance (with a more resistant mateial you need less thickness).

But we must saty with plastic, and the suffered plastic nightmare, because plastic was chosen (of course, if metal was chosen, it may be we got metal nightmare/delays/etc).
[doublepost=1495805934,1495805665][/doublepost]

Without coating is it matte BLACK?

If its is black, is it matte black or glossy black?

Surely the matte/gloss character of the plastic depends entirely on its surface texture, rather than anything else.

If you manage to polish the coating off with years of handling, the worn patch will be glossy. If, instead, you take a belt sander to it, the worn patch will be matte.

Still wishing for glow in the dark polycarbonate. But I would take a Pyra in clear, or red, or black or a collection of 13 different colored parts.

There are 14 different pieces of molded polycarbonate to my count, but only 13 visible.
1. battery door lid
2. base
3. keyboard surround
4. screen bezzel
5. screen lid
6. L1
7. L2
8. R1
9. R2
10. left nub
11. right nub
12. dpad
13. stylus
14. stylus holder

Did I miss anything?

I like the topleft blue one. They all look good (except for the glossy one) though.

Back