The All-Elusive Replacement Usb Cord

DocBadwrench

Still Fresh
First, let me say that I've done a fair amount of online research, so I'm really surprised that I still cannot find a supplier for the replacement USB-to-Caanoo connector.

The GPH website is abysmal. I found product listings, but no text. Then I found a page with product listings and text, but nothing was selectable or put-into-basket-able, either. In every instance, the webpages were broken. It looks like they haven't updated their web-structure since about 1995. It's pretty sad.

It's all the more sad because, no sooner do I get my Caanoo, outfit it with some sweet software, and treasure it during my commute, that I've lost the damned cord.

Anyway, here's what I've discovered from my online search:

• Apparently, there's an Apple connector that could work for charging the handheld, though none of the half-dozen that I own will work.
  • It's a simple matter of ordering the thing (I learned that from some forums that conspicuously lack any reference) but, uh, where?
So I turn to you, fair forum-goers. What gives? Hell, if only GPH would bring their website up to snuff, I'd be buying a case and screen protector, too. It's amazing to think that a company that wants business would put out an obviously broken site that you cannot purchase from. Way to go, guys. :eyeroll:

The easiest route is to just purchase the much easier to find TV out cable sets. It comes in three parts, the main one being a copy of the stock USB cable with an RCA jack hanging off by an inch of wire, as well as a video extension cable that attaches to it, and a stereo headphone jack to RCA cable.

Looks like this.
gp2x-caanoo-tv-out-cable-brand-new.jpg

You can also make your own from many Samsung/LG phone connectors if you can solder, but the premade TV out cables are easier, and not overly expensive.

try this link for FUNGP, the main site is very buggy ;) http://dev.fungp.com/product/accessory.asp

Surely it would be easier just to order from ED's shop?

http://www.gp2x.de/shop/product_info.php/cPath/43/products_id/145

I ordered an end connector from here:
http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/Cable,Compatible,for,LG,C1100,,C2200,,U8110,,G7050,,Samsung,E720,,E810,,Z500,24,Pin,Connector,9698.php?prod=9698

I made my own TV cable with it. I plan to add on a charging cable, as well, but I'll probably need a magnifying glass to count the pins and solder the wires on. It cost just over $6 CAD plus shipping to Canada.

I also found an AC charging cable for my old Samsung cellphone, which works just as well as the USB cable for charging.

Edit: I'll probably be adding a serial (RS-232) cable to it so that I can connect the Caanoo to a MIDI device. I may add a USB host cable and a USB client cable as well.

And no, I don't think any type Apple cable will fit. The Caanoo has the same port as many older cellphones (as in older, I mean ~2004-2008). If you're adept at soldering and have third hands, adequate lighting and a magnifying glass or good eyes (I lacked the latter four, but I still managed), I think you should make your own cable.

Hi all, I thought id send some help, first time iv posted but I know where to get one from, try http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Toys3h6jy5pbk3j/Caanoo_WiFi_Gender_Adapter

Not sure if they deliver internationally though, they are UK based. I think this is the jobbie, it looks like it to me.

rich225 said:
Hi all, I thought id send some help, first time iv posted but I know where to get one from, try http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Toys3h6jy5pbk3j/Caanoo_WiFi_Gender_Adapter

Not sure if they deliver internationally though, they are UK based. I think this is the jobbie, it looks like it to me.

I bought my Caanoo from them. I saw this cable on there and have emailed them 5 times to check about this (the pic looks like the charger cable) and only got 1 reply saying they were having problems with their email system. Given up!

Last edited by a moderator:
astrok said:
rich225 said:

I bought my Caanoo from them. I saw this cable on there and have emailed them 5 times to check about this (the pic looks like the charger cable) and only got 1 reply saying they were having problems with their email system. Given up!

I got it from them as well, only place iv seen that looks like one of the charging cables, it's a shame that there is no simple Mini USB on the Caanoo to charge then it wouldn't matter where we got the cables from. Im keeping my original cable in a case so I dont lose it, they are like gold dust.

I've just emailed them again. Wonder if their website form is working now. Still, I do the lottery so obviously I'm an optimist!

Hi guys, I know you can use an iGo charger with an A06 tip to charge the Wiz. The Caanoo unfortunately seems to use different pins for charging but I'm sure there is a correct tip that will work. Older LG phones use the same kind of connectors so we just need to find out which models used the same pin-out configuration as the Caanoo. Do you have any insight into this Com64?

BTW, the charger and tips are pretty cheap. I got the charger kit and tip for under $15 total when I bought it.

EDIT: Actually, the A40 tip looks like it should work. What do you think, http://www.amazon.com/iGo-Power-Select-Pantech-Phones/dp/B000PI38SI

Got a reply from Gameseek (email system is still playing up). The pic on there was wrong and they are changing it. They said the gender changer with a male to male usb cable should work though. I've ordered one and will post here the results..

Orion4874 said:
Hi guys, I know you can use an iGo charger with an A06 tip to charge the Wiz. The Caanoo unfortunately seems to use different pins for charging but I'm sure there is a correct tip that will work. Older LG phones use the same kind of connectors so we just need to find out which models used the same pin-out configuration as the Caanoo. Do you have any insight into this Com64?

BTW, the charger and tips are pretty cheap. I got the charger kit and tip for under $15 total when I bought it.

EDIT: Actually, the A40 tip looks like it should work. What do you think, http://www.amazon.com/iGo-Power-Select-Pantech-Phones/dp/B000PI38SI
Actually, there are two ways to charge the Caanoo: via the USB pins and dedicated charging pins. My samsung phone cable uses the former. In addition, the Wiz pinout should be almost exactly the same as the Caanoo's. Older LG et Samsung phones use the same charging pins. Don't bother w/ the A40 adapter if you can solder; buy the one I linked above for $6; I know for sure that it has all of the pins. I'm not so sure about how many pins the A40 has, but it is the right shape and should at least charge the Caanoo.

Com64 said:
Orion4874 said:

Actually, there are two ways to charge the Caanoo: via the USB pins and dedicated charging pins. My samsung phone cable uses the former. In addition, the Wiz pinout should be almost exactly the same as the Caanoo's. Older LG et Samsung phones use the same charging pins. Don't bother w/ the A40 adapter if you can solder; buy the one I linked above for $6; I know for sure that it has all of the pins. I'm not so sure about how many pins the A40 has, but it is the right shape and should at least charge the Caanoo.
Well, I already purchased the A40 tip. It was only about $3 so no big loss if it doesn't work. There must be some small difference between the pins in the Wiz and Caanoo. The A06 tip charges the Wiz just fine but doesn't work with the Caanoo.
I like the iGO charger since they have tips for just about anything, PSP, DS, iPhone etc. It just comes in handy since you don't have to mess with a bunch of different cables. The only drawback is that this is only for charging, not data transfer.

astrok said:
Got a reply from Gameseek (email system is still playing up). The pic on there was wrong and they are changing it. They said the gender changer with a male to male usb cable should work though. I've ordered one and will post here the results..

Gender changer arrived, male to male usb cable arrived. Doesn't charge the Caanoo though. I know some usb cables don't carry power very well as I bought a usb-mini usb cable for a portable hard drive and it didn't power the unit. I've ordered a usb male to male adapter (straight adapter, no cable between the ends). I'll post when this one arrives.

astrok said:
astrok said:

Gender changer arrived, male to male usb cable arrived. Doesn't charge the Caanoo though. I know some usb cables don't carry power very well as I bought a usb-mini usb cable for a portable hard drive and it didn't power the unit. I've ordered a usb male to male adapter (straight adapter, no cable between the ends). I'll post when this one arrives.

2nd adapter arrived. Doesn't work. The gender changer is no good for charging. The hunt goes on.

Orion4874 said:
Com64 said:
Orion4874 said:

Well, I already purchased the A40 tip. It was only about $3 so no big loss if it doesn't work. There must be some small difference between the pins in the Wiz and Caanoo. The A06 tip charges the Wiz just fine but doesn't work with the Caanoo.
I like the iGO charger since they have tips for just about anything, PSP, DS, iPhone etc. It just comes in handy since you don't have to mess with a bunch of different cables. The only drawback is that this is only for charging, not data transfer.
Finally recieved the A40 tip and it works fine. Charges the Caanoo with no problems but doesn't work with the Wiz. Gonna order the USB cable adapter for it and see if that will work as a data cable as well. Doubtful it will work but I found a place that has it for $4 shipped.

Edit
Recieved the USB adapter and it does in fact work for data transfer as well.

Interesting..so maybe the LG charger and also the LG USB cable for the models that this tip fits might also work.. curious..

I think I've found something that works and is cheap. Following the posts above about the iGO charger system I looked up the A40 tip and found the LG phones that the tip fits (power tip). Then eventually found this lovely usb retractable charger for LG phones and..it works!

LG USB

£1.99 from ebay and easy to carry around. Phew!!!! It's charging right now. :)

astrok said:
I think I've found something that works and is cheap. Following the posts above about the iGO charger system I looked up the A40 tip and found the LG phones that the tip fits (power tip). Then eventually found this lovely usb retractable charger for LG phones and..it works!

LG USB

£1.99 from ebay and easy to carry around. Phew!!!! It's charging right now. :)
Glad you found something that works! Does it only charge or can you get a data connection as well?

Orion4874 said:
Glad you found something that works! Does it only charge or can you get a data connection as well?

When I connect it the Caanoo flashes up there's usb connected and my Windows pc sees something but no drivers though. It seems to behave just like the cable I got with it. When I switch the Caanoo off the red LED on the left of the device stays on presumably to indicate charging. I'll leave it on tomorrow and charge it up again with the new cable. I'd only used a bit of the battery juice after a full charge when I got the new cable, but it did top it up nicely.

Back