The biggest computer/gaming mistake you have ever made.

Sega were big in the Coin-Ops though eh?

Some great simulators and cabinets from the good ol' days ... when there were actually places around still to play them

Space Harrier, Outrun, Hang-On, After-Burner, Thunder-Blade, Sega Rally... ahhh...

sega_taikan_game_collection_wxp.jpg

Sega were big in the Coin-Ops though eh?

Some great simulators and cabinets from the good ol' days ... when there were actually places around still to play them

Space Harrier, Outrun, Hang-On, After-Burner, Thunder-Blade, Sega Rally... ahhh...
Space Harrier on the 32X is my favorite version of that game and one of my favorite SEGA shmup games. Back to the topic...yes SEGA was big with coin ops but with the advent of consoles coin op sales suffered greatly. Sort of comparable to going to the movies vs watching DVD/Bluray on your flat screen tele on the couch. ;)

When I was younger we used to wait [or fight] to play on our favorite arcade coin op games. We played 'winners'. Winner stays loser leaves. Another regret because I lost some close fights.  :rolleyes: ...ahh memories.

Last edited:
SEGA failed miserably in the hardware dept. The list goes on and on....Nomad,32x,CDX,Sega Master System,Sega CD 1,2,,,Genesis 1,2,3 ,Saturn ,Game Gear and the never to come true NEPTUNE. I am not even mentioning pre SMS when Atari was king.The company just scrambled around to try to out do Nintendo and Sony but they could not. They came close for a spell but eventually fell behind in sales. Too many ideas and changes in a short period of time frustrated,angered,alienated and confused too many gamers.
Bit harsh. Pre SMS Sega were a relatively small Japanese affair, amongst many others. While the SMS was more powerful than the NES, and launched earlier outside Japan, really it ought to be given how old the Famicom design was by then. Still, they brought out some cracking games for it, and one thing I like about it is how long they supported if for - they produced SMS versions of quite a few MegaDrive games.

As I understand it, the Mega CD/32x cockup was mainly due to Sega not keeping their north American arm on a short enough leash, so yeah, that's a fair call. The Saturn as originally designed was underpowered, and as far as I can tell, really quite strangely designed, and Sony got one up on them by designing a simpler more powerful system. Still, at least the hardware itself is robust and my second hand Saturn is still in perfect working order, which is less than can be said for a lot of Playstations out there.

On the other hand the Game gear was a great bit of kit. Shame it ate through batteries and they made it with cheap capacitors that all went pop after a few years (and mostly seem to be weird sizes that I'm having trouble sourcing). But for me it was the right thing at the right time - the Gameboy felt really old tech by 1991.

It's fair to say Sega dropped the ball with the MD/Gen expansions and the Saturn, but the SMS, base MD and Dreamcast are easily amongst my favourite consoles still.

Out of interest, what's the best way to play Virtua Fighter on the Pandora? There was a 32x version, wasn't there?

the impression i got from SEGA was that they were trying so hard to be ahead of the game with their consoles that they outpaced the coffers of the gamers and the lifespan of consoles ended up short lived.

American Release Dates:

1985 NES

1986 Master System

1989 Game Boy

1989 Sega Genesis

1991 SNES

1991 Sega CD

1994 Sega 32x

1995 Saturn

1995 Play Station

1995 Sega Nomad

1996 N64

1999 Dreamcast

2000 PS2

Though they slowed somewhat from the Saturn, they were so busy keeping an eye on the competition trying not to be outdone on hardware I think they burned out updating their older hardware with short lived and fairly unsupported add-ons particularly in the shadow of newer consoles looming. Its fair to say nintendo dropped the ball having progressed only as far as they did with the N64 with the time available following the saturn and PS1 releases but SEGA seemed so keen to get in there early that they gave other companies all the room possible to look at what SEGA had produced and simply outdo it a year or so later. The 2000s really showed what could be achieved having confidence in a console ensuring plenty of games get released to maintain consumer interest and drawing out the lifespan of a console to ensure there is a noticeable upgrade to the hardware abilities with the next iteration. If the last 25 years proved anything at all it is that consumers are happier investing in software for their sometimes slightly dated machine than they are in investing in expensive new hardware that has limited support and ultimately comes across as a fad.

SEGA failed miserably in the hardware dept. The list goes on and on....Nomad,32x,CDX,Sega Master System,Sega CD 1,2,,,Genesis 1,2,3 ,Saturn ,Game Gear and the never to come true NEPTUNE. I am not even mentioning pre SMS when Atari was king.The company just scrambled around to try to out do Nintendo and Sony but they could not. They came close for a spell but eventually fell behind in sales. Too many ideas and changes in a short period of time frustrated,angered,alienated and confused too many gamers.
Bit harsh. Pre SMS Sega were a relatively small Japanese affair, amongst many others. While the SMS was more powerful than the NES, and launched earlier outside Japan, really it ought to be given how old the Famicom design was by then. Still, they brought out some cracking games for it, and one thing I like about it is how long they supported if for - they produced SMS versions of quite a few MegaDrive games.

As I understand it, the Mega CD/32x cockup was mainly due to Sega not keeping their north American arm on a short enough leash, so yeah, that's a fair call. The Saturn as originally designed was underpowered, and as far as I can tell, really quite strangely designed, and Sony got one up on them by designing a simpler more powerful system. Still, at least the hardware itself is robust and my second hand Saturn is still in perfect working order, which is less than can be said for a lot of Playstations out there.

On the other hand the Game gear was a great bit of kit. Shame it ate through batteries and they made it with cheap capacitors that all went pop after a few years (and mostly seem to be weird sizes that I'm having trouble sourcing). But for me it was the right thing at the right time - the Gameboy felt really old tech by 1991.

It's fair to say Sega dropped the ball with the MD/Gen expansions and the Saturn, but the SMS, base MD and Dreamcast are easily amongst my favourite consoles still.

Out of interest, what's the best way to play Virtua Fighter on the Pandora? There was a 32x version, wasn't there?
Yes I think it is widely accepted that the best Virtua Fighter port is the 32X version not only on the Pandora but on any console. It was a revolutionary game for it's time.

Last edited:
Bit harsh. Pre SMS Sega were a relatively small Japanese affair, amongst many others. While the SMS was more powerful than the NES, and launched earlier outside Japan, really it ought to be given how old the Famicom design was by then.

It's amazing how one little advantage, the ability to draw 16 colors per tile instead of 4, made such a huge difference. SMS hardware is worse in a lot of other ways, especially when compared to an NES cart with a good mapper.

D'oh! Shame on me for quoting Wikipedia almost verbatim.

And for getting my NES and SMS release years mixed up (ta, renegadechic)

I shall have to track down a copy of VF 32X. Does it really play better than Saturn VF2?

biggest gaming mistake - did not save enough Mudokons...!

I once had the opportunity to get either an Adlib soundcard, or a SoundBlaster (not knowing the SB emulated the Adlib). I bought the Adlib. Ouch when I found out.  Meh, it gave me an excuse to buy the SB Pro (with stereo) when it came out, right about Wolfenstein time.

Holy crap, did *that* blow my teenage mind. It was only eight or so positions, but still, for someone raised on PC beeps and Atari 800 tones...

Computing mistake? Buying my current netbook without thouroughly researching what GPU it contained - I naively though "Oh it's intel GFX like my previous netbook, should be supported well in linux land" turns out I got one of those netbooks with Poulsbo chipset, i.e. it has a PowerVR chip and next to no linux support.

I have it working, but 3D is an absolute joke and I daren't  change the OS from Kubuntu 12.04 for fear I'll just get a blank screen. In anycase I'm stuck with it and it's "OK" depending on what I need to do, but in many cases even my original eeePC was better this hunk of junk.

D'oh! Shame on me for quoting Wikipedia almost verbatim.

And for getting my NES and SMS release years mixed up (ta, renegadechic)

I shall have to track down a copy of VF 32X. Does it really play better than Saturn VF2?
YES Virtua Fighter for 32X it is the best version and generally considered to be.

Read the Video Game Critic ..videogamecritic.com for specifics.

Last edited:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/virtuafighter/virtuafighter.htm

is a very thorough trip through all versions of the virtua fighter games. Virtua Fighter for the 32x is an amazing achievement, and it plays really well considering the hardware it runs on, but it is really no match for either VF or VF2 on the Saturn. The video game critic certainly is giving a higher score to the 32x version, but that is in the context: Amongst other Genesis/32x fighting games, and other fighters for its contemporary platforms, it is amazing. VF2 on the Saturn is competing against Tekken 1-2-3 and Battle Area Toshinden on the PS1, and in that environment it gets a more average score (which I'm certain not everybody would agree with, either). But pitting the 32x versus the Saturn? No way José.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/virtuafighter/virtuafighter.htm

is a very thorough trip through all versions of the virtua fighter games. Virtua Fighter for the 32x is an amazing achievement, and it plays really well considering the hardware it runs on, but it is really no match for either VF or VF2 on the Saturn. The video game critic certainly is giving a higher score to the 32x version, but that is in the context: Amongst other Genesis/32x fighting games, and other fighters for its contemporary platforms, it is amazing. VF2 on the Saturn is competing against Tekken 1-2-3 and Battle Area Toshinden on the PS1, and in that environment it gets a more average score (which I'm certain not everybody would agree with, either). But pitting the 32x versus the Saturn? No way José.
Having both versions myself I respectfully disagree. The 32x has the superior AI  and fluidity of character movement. This is widely known and accepted by others and myself. One can always find information pro and con about any game vs game on the web.

It is  also worth mentioning that the AI for this version is one of the most realistically reacting of any fighter ever made. While it might not have the 'fluff' of the Saturn version ,the core play is far superior.

This particular version was ground braking for it's time and still holds up quite well today. Especially for AI and character fluidity.

It is a benchmark/landmark fighter game that set the standard for many fighter games to follow. One should not miss the 32X version and certainly it should supersede playing the Saturn version!!

Although the video game critic web site is not the final word by any means ,I do respect his reviews. In context he gives the 32X version an A and the Saturn a C+.

AND....my name is not Jose  :p

Last edited:
Never got into the VF games really, seemed laggy, always preferred Tekken and SF games by a long shot. Think I only played the arcade versions though, not played either 32X or Saturn

Never got into the VF games really, seemed laggy, always preferred Tekken and SF games by a long shot. Think I only played the arcade versions though, not played either 32X or Saturn
Try the  SEGA 32X version on the Pandora and please let me know your thoughts?

Just don't expect stunning graphics. ;)

This game plays very well on Picodrive.

Last edited:
...I'm still waiting for my first batch preorder Pandora, but when I get it I will do.

I've moved flat 3 times in past year and so a lot of my stuff is and has been in boxes for ages now.. I think I have a VF game on my Dreamcast but not even played it. I won a bid on eBay for a little batch of 5 or so games cheap and I think that was one of them

Back