The Caring Corner :)

xytNbX5W.gif

Reactions: rSl
If you only need to charge your Pyra, or mobile phone, you could use a portable solar panel pack. But usually you would survive a planned power outage as they are temporary.
Portable solar packs are great. Mine just requires plugging in 1 cable to connect the battery/transformer with the solar panel. The transformer then offers power through a normal power socket and through USB ports. I used to expect it to be more complicated.

You could also heat your house based on gas, probably other fuels work to, but that also depends on your living conditions and availability of these fuels.
We used to prep gas. Eventually most of it was used by a friend who used to laugh out our "paranoid" prepping of gas but afterward had his family sitting in the cold due to raised gas prices.

How would that work ? I thought batteries didn't last that long. And it would take a lot of batteries to last through winter. I though it was more like use at night what you produced at day.Are you thinking of flow batteries ?
You just have to use really large batteries, try to use little electricity (you can keep yourself warm with gas like TeDaDeS suggested), and keep using the solar panels to further reduce the amount of stored energy you lose in total every day. Of course, you would have to calculate how long you can hang on and decide whether you trust power outages to be solved within that time period. And if the calculation turns out poorly for you, then just move a little bit closer to the equator.

Of course, you would have to calculate how long you can hang on and decide whether you trust power outages to be solved within that time period.
Ah, Ok. I don't know why I thought you meant to use the batteries to power all winter long, not just outages, like in unconnected to the grid. For outages it could work, it's more a question of how long can batteries retain charge.

it's more a question of how long can batteries retain charge.
They probably should be checked regularly with the frequency depending on how long they last on average. I guess some manufacturers may provide information on how long they are expected last. Prepping is a bit of work, though not much. Food can be rotated and a lot of supplies, like toilet paper for example, do not require much maintenance (I know from experience, maintaining the toilet paper is my job).

Though IMO electricity is not that important if you have gas. I think that the only energy you need is heat and food with maybe a small amount of electricity for light. We used to prep gas and had a small portable solar panel. Here is the trick to making your batteries last during a power outage: do not run the washing machine twice a day to wash each of your socks separately. Instead, was both your socks at once and either by hand or less frequently. This saves a lot of energy.

I’m having fear of missing out. I want to start a new game on my PS5, but I also don’t want to give up on Röki. I’m afraid I’ll forget what I was doing and be in even worse shape in that game going forward. This has already happened to me with XCOM 2. I guess it’s more important just to play something rather than sit in fear though.

My dad is picking me up for Christmas around six in the evening Eastern time. I think I might wait until after I get back to make a decision. Six hours is plenty of time to play something though. I guess I’ll take a shower and get dressed while thinking about it, so I’m ready when my dad gets here.

The gamma setting on my PS5 keeps getting reset, and sometimes I remember to set it back to what my eyes can tolerate, and sometimes I forget to. Right now my eyes are just a little red from playing with the gamma up high.
That kind of thing makes me livid.

My dad actually picked me up around 4:30 instead of six yesterday, just for those keeping track. I didn’t do any gaming yesterday. Haven’t done any today either as of around 2:30 in the afternoon. I’ve actually been asleep between my posts. My body still can’t handle life without caffeine.

I gave up caffeine at the same time as meat, but I’m wondering why. I know my older sister and staff at the apartment don’t want me having caffeine, but it’s the only thing that counteracts somnolence from Klonopin.

I think it’s what @elw3 said, that instant coffee is unethical, that made me give it up. I think I might change my mind though. I’ll just search Amazon for ethical instant coffee. I know Amazon isn’t the most ethical thing either, but it’s what I have access to.

Edit: It’s worse than I thought. According to the PlayStation app, the last gaming I did was Wednesday morning, which was less than a day after I gave up caffeine. Probably still had some in my system at that point.

Last edited:
That kind of thing makes me livid.
Don’t worry, I think I found a fix. I just had to change my TV’s picture settings from “All Sources” to “This Source Only”. That allowed me to create a separate persistent picture settings profile for my PS5.
Post automatically merged:

I actually think now I really will give up caffeine. My twin sister convinced me.

I still don’t feel like gaming right now, but maybe in a couple of weeks my body will adjust.

Its unethical because it consumes high amount of resources in production, coffee is bad already in that regard, but instant is even worse.
Trying to search for ethical instant coffee is like being gentle while raping someone. You cannot do that, it defies the definition of the word.

I’m still giving up caffeine, but I’m also still sleeping too much. Slept from just after 6 PM to about 12:30 AM yesterday, stayed up for an hour, then slept from about 1:30 AM until about 7:15 AM. I would’ve slept even longer if staff didn’t call me to go get my medication. I’m going to Google ‘caffeine withdrawal’ to see how long it lasts.

Edit: According to the US government, caffeine withdrawal lasts two to nine days. I last had coffee about seven days ago. I had some fudge and cookies containing chocolate on Christmas though. Hmmm…

Last edited:
Hah, thats nothing, i can easily spend 20 hours straight in bed. I only get up to get food and if i happen to not be hungry i sleep forever.

Reactions: rSl
If I don't partake in drugs or alcohol I sleep about 6.5 hours and wake up fresh.

I tried not drinking caffein for 10 days and I was a bit tired and had a minor headache. It was just an experiment and one or two (weak, milked-out) coffees in the morning I see no harm in. Caffein might be the only sustainable drug for me.

So maybe moderation would work better for you than totally quitting. My rule is no caffein after noon. Just like you don't give a mogwai food after midnight..

Last edited:
Whit the Drugs it’s also a thing I sometimes misunderstand in English :
Shure whe also have the „Drogeriemarkt“ which is the „Drugstore“ there you can buy thinks for Health etc

But Drogen /Drugs stands mostly for illegal Drugs, and not for Medizine

Whit the Drugs it’s also a thing I sometimes misunderstand in English :
Shure whe also have the „Drogeriemarkt“ which is the „Drugstore“ there you can buy thinks for Health etc

But Drogen /Drugs stands mostly for illegal Drugs, and not for Medizine
I meant drugs in general, prescription or illegal. They are all harmful, even my old lover Mary Jane... somehow I don't feel rested if I kiff. Sleep is so precious..... Aren't they legalising it in Germany soon?

Not yet, but as one Gouverment is elect for 4 years , they still have some time left..
I don’t care if I’m honest, it’s also some sort of stuff to smoke, and I don’t smoke..

I would be more happy if they would trash „$42a“ which makes it impossible to carry even an Leatherman in Puplic due to its One Hand Blade…
But at least „Two Hand Blades“ are still legal, so my next SAK I ordered , the Wenger Evo S52, build from Victorinox as part of the „Delemont Collection“ I will make a Post on the Multitool Thread after it’s arrived hopefully tomorrow

I found out what type of tumor my sister has. It’s an astrocytoma. According to this link I found, the median survival time for grade 2 astrocytoma is eight years. Given my sister’s age, I’d expect her to last just a little bit longer than the median, I guess.

She has an appointment with an oncologist on Wednesday. I guess that means it really is cancer.

Back