The Communication Cube

would be pretty neat!

I dare say that there are at least a couple that are better than anything I could come up with. ;)

Having thought about things more, I would like to cobble together an application at some point, also I'm out of story ideas for games atm. I was thinking of making one using Lua because it seems relatively me proof + the fantasy consoles that I've seen so far use it, so knowing it will be useful for that purpose too.

Edit: Just discovered a similar tool to GDevelop.

Last edited:
I've been doing some more thinking and have come up with a final plan.
  • Finish making current game.
  • Make platformer using ct.js
  • Make a frontend for youtube_dl using Python, as a secondary project (youtube_dl is written in Python so I'm hoping it's easier to interface with using it).
  • Make a game for a fantasy console (going to have a go at learning Lua this way rather than doing an application first).
One of the reasons I'm doing this is to try and improve my programming skills that I've let lapse over the years. Another is to prove to myself that I am capable of doing things that require brain power. :)

You know, near-death experiencers who see God as a light say it is the most bright light they've ever seen, but it does not hurt to look at it. Most of them also say it is a blue white light, as opposed to a yellow or golden white light.

That last detail strikes me as important. When I see cars at night, if they have yellow white lights, they look normal, but if they have blue white lights, I want them to run off the road and die. I imagine I would be similarly annoyed by the presence of God.

While we're on the subject of NDEs and color, one of the more famous NDEs out there was by an artist, who said we have three primary colors, and that during his NDE he saw at least 80 more new primary colors.

With Earth being made up of such a limited palette, it makes me wonder how we'll look to everyone else, the non-humans, in Heaven. They'll probably be able to tell who's from Earth immediately, but I wonder if they can actually distinguish between different Earth colors.

While we're on the subject of NDEs and color, one of the more famous NDEs out there was by an artist, who said we have three primary colors, and that during his NDE he saw at least 80 more new primary colors.

With Earth being made up of such a limited palette, it makes me wonder how we'll look to everyone else, the non-humans, in Heaven. They'll probably be able to tell who's from Earth immediately, but I wonder if they can actually distinguish between different Earth colors.
How many Mantis Shrimp in Heaven...

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
The fact we have three primary colours is because we have three colours of photoreceptors in our eyes. I understand the mantis shrimp to have more sensors, primarily going into the ultraviolet perhaps, but most animals have fewer photoreceptors.

Thanks to science going back to Newton, we know that light is actually made of infinitely thin frequency bands, so in theory you could pack in an infinite number of photoreceptors in there, although since no photoreceptor we can make is so precise they all have a curve from most responsive to least, so if you pack two photoreceptors too close they'd be doing much the same thing as each other, which is why evolution has spaced them out for us.

Edit: Evidently phylra follows similiar news sites to me. I think I read that on Bruce Schneier's blog, but I think that came originally from twitter so it's probably done the rounds already.

Edit: Evidently phylra follows similiar news sites to me. I think I read that on Bruce Schneier's blog, but I think that came originally from twitter so it's probably done the rounds already.
I actually first came across it in the Interesting Engineering newsletter - and then shared it in the “Thought of the day” thread in this forum :p

The fact we have three primary colours is because we have three colours of photoreceptors in our eyes. I understand the mantis shrimp to have more sensors, primarily going into the ultraviolet perhaps, but most animals have fewer photoreceptors.

Thanks to science going back to Newton, we know that light is actually made of infinitely thin frequency bands, so in theory you could pack in an infinite number of photoreceptors in there, although since no photoreceptor we can make is so precise they all have a curve from most responsive to least, so if you pack two photoreceptors too close they'd be doing much the same thing as each other, which is why evolution has spaced them out for us.

I just read the Wikipedia page on mantis shrimp, and am therefore now an expert. It says that mantis shrimp vision and human vision may actually be similar, because even though mantis shrimp have way more complex eyes, they also have way less complex brains. It says that humans rely on their brains to add color to their vision, but in mantis shrimp, this processing is done directly in the eyes, leaving less for the brain to handle.

Certainly though, if you combined mantis shrimp eyes with a human brain, you'd be on a hell of a trip.

Oh my God, just had the weirdest freaking dream. See, the thing is, people shout at me in my sleep, but I also shout at them, and one of the catches is, sometimes I can't tell who shouted what. Fortunately, what was being shouted wasn't that stressful, just weird.

You see, someone in my dream, and I don't know if it was me or the other guy, went on a long rant about coffee. Seems like something I would actually do. The basic gist of the rant was that fresh roasting doesn't matter, but fresh grinding is of utmost importance. Gotta grind fresh to get quality coffee. It reminds me, I currently drink instant, and have to spit part of it out sometimes, because I can't handle how bad it is.

I think maybe they could have been trying to convince me to spend my stimulus on a quality coffeemaker. Might actually be a nice investment. Damn if they aren't expensive though. It would keep me from getting a new video game console. It might be nice to have good coffee like ED though, because then maybe I could actually be productive like ED. I never did forget that one time he told me he used jura brand machines and illy brand beans. Seemed like important information.
Post automatically merged:

You know, to amend that though, the staff here doesn't like me having caffeine. Might make getting a several hundred dollar coffeemaker hard. I could tell them I'm using it for decaf, but I don't think whole beans come in decaf. Could be wrong.

Actually, you know what, whole beans do come in decaf.

Not that I'd have decaf all the time. Just order both kinds, mostly drink the caf, tell the staff I'm only drinking decaf.

Man, the best (read: cheapest) Jura I can find is $799. They have their own website, which is probably better to use than Amazon, since Amazon only has third-party sellers.

What do you guys think of this one?

I think my last moka pot cost about 40 pounds. You'd need a grinder as well if you're going from beans to pot, and a hob, but I already had the latter and am cheap and buy my beans preground and blended.

The smell of the coffee does change significantly from when the bag is open until the time when I'm emptying the last of the bag out, but to my nose it's only the high notes which smell a little tart as if they're acidic which get lost over contact with the air.

I think my last moka pot cost about 40 pounds. You'd need a grinder as well if you're going from beans to pot, and a hob, but I already had the latter and am cheap and buy my beans preground and blended.

The smell of the coffee does change significantly from when the bag is open until the time when I'm emptying the last of the bag out, but to my nose it's only the high notes which smell a little tart as if they're acidic which get lost over contact with the air.
If the bag isn’t resealable, put the unspent grounds in a tupperware box and keep it in the fridge

i'm happy with an hario v60 dripcoffee filter. easy, manual usage, no maintenance.
a good burr grinder is recommended.
spend the rest on fresh roasted beans.

Back