The Communication Cube

@Klumpen
My research into home brewing beer has led me to this great quote from John Cleese
"American beer is like making love in a canoe... fucking close to water..."

SCqMXYO.jpg

seems like they're both a bit right. but huxley definitely hit the atmosphere better than orwell...

Currently, yes. But the rising desire of governments to ban encryption and the widespread use of DRM and walled garden app stores are perhaps a precursor to a more Orwellian society.

Sadly, it seems we are progressing towards having the worst of both worlds.

Given the lamentable state of world politics and journalism, I'm beginning to think the sanest approach is to improve the world where you can, and be stoical where you can't.

I could write an angry letter to Mrs Rudd, explaining my views of freedom-of-speech, security, and the internet. Would it do any good? Would she even read it? Probably not.

Helping out in a project like this one is a far more certain way to improve software freedom and security than the above. Even though the Pyra won't sell many units, even though it has binary blobs, and even though I can't do that much to help, it's still more useful that writing to politicians who don't even understand the importance of understanding [1]

Edit: That sounds a bit grumpy, and too political, really.
To put a more positive spin on it, you could say that small actions are stronger than grand ideas. Either way, there's no point being perpetually angry...

planned obsolescence, "smart" phones (marketed quite well, people look at me sideways when i pull out my dumb phone) which remove features rather than let you have a normal desktop OS; let's all be angry and upset about status symbols, until we get our pyras and then can shove it in their faces.

(that last statement was supposed to be a bit ironic.)

Meh, I say Orwell was right too, because he wasn't trying to predict the future; he was just writing about what was already happening in the Soviet Union.

Huxley, from what it sounds like, might have been just writing about what was already happening in the West.

Last edited:
I've been trying out a random selection of web browsers recently, because I was bored with Comodo Dragon. I picked Pale Moon in the end because I enjoyed using it the most.

Other web browsers I tried but rejected for probably quite arbitrary reasons:

Firefox 57.0 The new UI is horrible + Mozilla have outdone themselves in the spyware bundling stakes.
Slimjet Eau de spyware.
Iridium Browser Didn't appeal as much + didn't quite feel finished.
CentBrowser Didn't appeal as much.
Tungsten Found it rather interesting but it didn't quite feel finished.

Ones that I looked at but never got round to trying:

Cyberfox
Waterfox
ungoogled-chromium

I don't quite get the outrage. They added an easter egg. It does nothing malicious, isn't really hidden, can be deactivated and they're upfront with it.

OTOH a lot of people use apps that do unethical or outright evil things without their consent and/or knowledge. This kerfuffle indeed works as a reminder of the lack of insight we have in many things and the general public's acceptance or ignorance of that fact.

Back