The Discussion HyperCube - Now in 4D!

You need to get a life. Clean up your language. Stop the personal digs and just participate in the discussion.

lingenfr said:
You need to get a life. Clean up your language. Stop the personal digs and just participate in the discussion.

Haha, this is somehow less of a "personal dig" than "you scare me"

Exophase said:
lingenfr said:

He was a bit more out of line in the other thread. He must be grounded and can't play outside. For the record Exophase, I expect a bit better from you. Two shots in two threads. I suppose it would be better to curse and type in all caps.

lingenfr said:
He was a bit more out of line in the other thread. He must be grounded and can't play outside. For the record Exophase, I expect a bit better from you. Two shots in two threads. I suppose it would be better to curse and type in all caps.

Expect better out of me? Why? :(

lingenfr said:
Exophase said:
lingenfr said:

You're fucking creeping me out, too.

You're reaching a new level - PoisonedV doesn't get scared easily (he actually generally is the one to scare people).

(Who does the boogey man look for in his closet when he goes to sleep?)

random arguing

So, back on topic: Anyone else excitedly waiting for the first e-paper devices to come out that AREN'T locked as hell?
I mean, the Kindle seems to exist, but from what I've heard, it's pretty disappointing in terms of software.

I'm looking forward to some kind of touchscreen + e-paper-based tablet PC with a small ARM processor and Linux running X with maybe IceWM or E17 or something minimal.

They seriously need to come up with something cheap that I can use to take notes and read PDFs / pirated textbooks without getting distracted by X-moto.

lulzfish said:
random arguing

So, back on topic: Anyone else excitedly waiting for the first e-paper devices to come out that AREN'T locked as hell?
I mean, the Kindle seems to exist, but from what I've heard, it's pretty disappointing in terms of software.

I'm looking forward to some kind of touchscreen + e-paper-based tablet PC with a small ARM processor and Linux running X with maybe IceWM or E17 or something minimal.

They seriously need to come up with something cheap that I can use to take notes and read PDFs / pirated textbooks without getting distracted by X-moto.

The problem with e-ink displays is that the refresh time is VERY slow - on the order of 300-500ms. If not more. E-ink, in its current state, is not acceptable for use on things other than ebook readers and the like. There's no way you'd be able to use one (easily) for taking notes.

lulzfish said:

The iRex iLiad looks like pretty much exactly what you're looking for. Its main disadvantage seems to be its price ($700).

I think the response times are getting better.
If they can ever get to a point where they would be faster enough for note-taking, I want to see 'them' remake the TC1000 Tablet PC

I had one of those a few years back and I could really use a thinner, modernized version for drawing things.
There's a lot of diagram things that I doodle while programming that are impossible to type and impractical to draw with a mouse. I'd rather have a device like from Ender's Game, that's basically computerized paper. It will be the third pillar in my Pandora / Desktop / Tablet PC trifecta of death.

Certainly the Pandora can also do this, but this would be a more specialized device with a larger screen, less processor, and an even longer battery life.

edit: Yeah, once the price goes down I'll be all over the e-paper thing.
also, the 'somebody posted while you were taking forever to edit your post' feature is cool

All I want is a A4 Sized E-Paper Screen.

Connected over USB.

To my Pandora.

(In this case the "Not fast enought for an auxilarity Display"-Bandwith of the USB port wouldn't even matter that much)

Yeah, I'm switching between drooling on the handhelds to drooling on coming epaper devices. Can't wait for cheapish A4, the irex's are just too damn expensive. Astak is apparently coming with a device Q3, but thats a long way off. I thought about getting a 5"'er cause they're going to be cheap, but I dunno if that's big enough for manga. Manga and comics are the main reason I want one anyway, I had a prs500 back a year or two ago, but it broke. 6" was good enough for manga, but I don't know if say 2000AD would work on it, perhaps in landscape mode.

When I get a a4 device I wont carry it around though, thats for sure. Fragility increases when the size of screen goes up and that prs500 broke in casual use in just a year or less.

Back