The front end to replace all front ends!

Valpskott

Still Fresh
A some emulators I've encountered in Linux have separate front ends or otherwise the possibility to replace the frontend.

What would be both sweet and useful is if we had a elegant Pandora Emulator Front end(from here on called PEF) that had support for all(most) emulators ported to the Pandora. Thus, installing a new emulator, it gets incorporated into the PEF automatically if possible, or by manual configuration.

As long as it is possible to start an emulator+rom using a command in the terminal, this front end should be a cakewalk to write for a moderately skilled developer.

The utility of this would be that one could just start up PEF, search for a game rom in the configured rom-directories and hit launch, play for a bit, quit to the front end, search for another game(using a different emulator). One wouldn't need short cuts to all the installed emulators laying around on the desktop.

Please share thoughts on this, am I oversimplifying things?

Is there already something like this? (I don't have my Pandora yet)

I made a little Mock-up screen while I was dreaming away! :D

PEFE-Mockup.png

it's in the works, or it's something like that XD nothing like that exists in a fully done form, and probably won't until there's more pandas out there to use it on, but who knows

What would be both sweet and useful is if we had a elegant Pandora Emulator Front end(from here on called PEF) that had support for all(most) emulators ported to the Pandora. Thus, installing a new emulator, it gets incorporated into the PEF automatically if possible, or by manual configuration.
Sooo.. something like suggestion 3 at ? :p

I too woulf find that amazing, but ideally one should have screenshots in it (user made, uploaded to a database and downloaded to other users) and maybe a small description or a rating by all users :)

Sooo.. something like suggestion 3 at ? :p

I too woulf find that amazing, but ideally one should have screenshots in it (user made, uploaded to a database and downloaded to other users) and maybe a small description or a rating by all users :)

Yeah, small screenshots would be sweet... I also read your idea of installing emulators via the front end, that would also be cool, but harder to implement I guess... but if Ubuntu Software Center can do just that, it's far from impossible! :D

so...pickle launcher then? :p

its very close to what is described, my launcher does support multiple file extensions with their own executable. In other words it could show many roms for multiple systems in the same running instance. I did this with wolf4sdl.

I do not have a search feature, about the the closest thing to that is the alphabetic jumping, press G and you go to the list where items starting with g's are.

Im open to considering any feature requests from anyone.

its very close to what is described, my launcher does support multiple file extensions with their own executable. In other words it could show many roms for multiple systems in the same running instance. I did this with wolf4sdl.

I do not have a search feature, about the the closest thing to that is the alphabetic jumping, press G and you go to the list where items starting with g's are.

Im open to considering any feature requests from anyone.

Well, consider the search feature as a request then... I intend to put like a gazillion roms(of course I own every single copy, hah) on my Pandora and well, alphabetic jumping would help but only so far. What I'd like to see is the normal listing of roms, and while typing in the search field all roms that do not match will be removed from the list. So, typing a M, should remove every game that does not have the letter M in it, and then adding the letter A should reduce the list further to all games that have "MA" in the title, and so on.

Another feature request would be to make the launcher skin-able.

Well, consider the search feature as a request then... I intend to put like a gazillion roms(of course I own every single copy, hah) on my Pandora and well, alphabetic jumping would help but only so far. What I'd like to see is the normal listing of roms, and while typing in the search field all roms that do not match will be removed from the list. So, typing a M, should remove every game that does not have the letter M in it, and then adding the letter A should reduce the list further to all games that have "MA" in the title, and so on.

Another feature request would be to make the launcher skin-able.

filtering on a string would be simple, the gui is the problem. Especially if I consider the other keyboard-less devices. Although it could start as a pc/pandora only feature.

It is skinable already.

filtering on a string would be simple, the gui is the problem. Especially if I consider the other keyboard-less devices. Although it could start as a pc/pandora only feature.

It is skinable already.

Ahh, now I see, haha... I was under the impression your launcher was only targeted at the Pandora.

Yeah, if you do a branch for pc/pandora, please let me know... I'd love to try it out on my PC(Ubuntu) till I get my Pandora.

Could someone post a screenshot of picklelauncher? google image search proved to be useless and the BeBits page has no screenshots either...

SNES:

20101029084624288.jpg

Gameboy:

20101029084703480.jpg

As they are integrated into the pnds of the emulators.

Yeah, looks nice. Something to try out if when my pandora arrives ;)

Back