The Gigantic Star Trek thread

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
One thing i dont Understand: Kirk only needs 1 Sidekick : Mr. Spock, but Picard needs 2 Sidekicks : Data an Comander Ryker,
Also there is no Vulkanien in the new Crew, but a Klingone, why??
I thought there was always a redshirt who made up the on-world crew in ToS with Kirk. But yeah, when TNG came about it was a shock to see a Klingon as a member of crew, as they were always the big bad in ToS, at least for the first few episodes worth.

As far as I remember, in ToS, Kirk was captain, Spock, science officer, Bones McCoy the medic, Sulu did torpedos - he was the helmsman according the wikipedia, Uhura was comms, Checkov did navigation and Scotty handled the warp drive in engineering.

In TNG you have Picard as Captain, Riker as first officer (bascially deputy captain), Yar as security, LaForge as helmsman, Data officially as second officer (the deputy's deputy), Crusher as medic. Apparently engineering was handled by bit part actors for the first few series. Worf was officially a junior team member doing bits and pieces to begin with.

Last edited:

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
One thing i dont Understand: Kirk only needs 1 Sidekick : Mr. Spock, but Picard needs 2 Sidekicks : Data an Comander Ryker,
Also there is no Vulkanien in the new Crew, but a Klingone, why??
Both Kirk and picard have a whole crew (kirk had many more, much busier corridors) not just a single sidekick.
And how could one fill the shoes of spock so I get it when few vulcans applied at starfleet academy :p Or they saw it as being below their class. It takes half breeds or vulcans raised by humans to get to such a low point.