GP2X The Gp2x Bounty

Vynx

It's recommended that you read this thread first to get a good idea of what this project entails:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=29165&st=0

But to summarize this is the goal of this project;

To find out what the community wants in forms of programs, games, or applications, and sets up a bounty for the most popular idea to give developers a financial and secure incentive to create that program. Not every developer has the time or the resources to take on GP2X development, but a bounty, which members of the GP2X community can donate into, will help push things forward and get the programs or games we want on the system most.

1: Who will lead this "bounty" project?

At the moment me. But I consider this as a last resort if no one else stands up to take the project on. I am happy to lead this project, but if someone else who has been here longer and is trusted by the GP2X community can take over instead, then this would speed things along a lot quicker.

2: If you do lead the project, what assurences do we have that you won't run off with the money? Etc Etc.

My contact details would be confirmed with the forum guru Dzz. This would assure that no foul play would take place.

3: How will the money be donated?

Via Paypal. There are currently two options available. 1, to donate money directly to the project, or 2, pledge a donation and hand over contact details to me or the project leader, which would insure that people keep to their end of the bargain. All that money (via pledge or donation) would then go to the developer who meets the criteria for the bounty.

4: What would the criteria be for a bounty?

This all depends on the program. Generally it would have to be stable, run well and have good documentation. Depending on the size or complexity of the program/game/application, milestones will have to be set, and the bounty would then be split between them. In this case, the source code will have to be made freely available to the public, so that someone could continue the development and reach further milestones to complete the program.

So for example, if developer X only reached milestone 1 of a Snes emulator, and decided he wanted to quit developing it. To be rewarded the milestone percentage of the total bounty, he would have to provide all the development source-code, making sure it's well documented on (either by comments in the code or a seperate file) so that others may continue and reach further milestones of the bounty. Like I have said though, this only applies to bigger projects.

5: What about a time limit? Will there be one on each bounty?

Yes, but it will depend on the size or complexity of the software. If the time limit is exceeded then donations will be returned and pledges will become null and void if no one continues the project after a certain period of time after the initial time limit is up.

Remember, this is just an idea right now. It won't go anywhere unless there is any support. If you'd be willing to donate to projects that interest you, or are interested in leading this project, please leave a message here and we can discuss it. Thank you.

A main discussion thread on the GP2X Bounty project would be kept on this forum, with seperate threads for further voting/discussion on candidate programs/apps/games that could potentially be up for a bounty reward. Please let me know if you're unsure of anything i've written in this post so I can ammend it or make it more clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this sounds like a really good idea. If I was certain the money was in good hands (no offense vynx, I am new here) and if a project paticularly caught my eye.

Spam.

I think this sounds like a really good idea. If I was certain the money was in good hands (no offense vynx, I am new here) and if a project paticularly caught my eye.

Spam.

No offence taken :)

Perfectly understandible, which is why I think it would be best if someone took the project on instead of myself. Like i've said, if no one stands up to do it, then I will, but measures would be taken to protect investments to insure that I could be trusted to do so, as i've mentioned in the first post.

At the end of the day i'm a GP2X user, and in the spirit of things I want to contribute in some way to the community. I'm not great at developing, but if I can help some projects take off the ground, then i'll feel like i'm doing something worthwhile for everyone.

What are some ideas for projects that might be put up for a bounty. I would put up some money for some things...

That would be up for open discussion - If there is enough initial support then we could go ahead and discuss what kind of programs people want developed on the system.

I'd put $5 towards some sort of 3D library for python. I'd prefer if it was integrated with pygame, but I would be happy with just a generic opengl python library.

Luke

I like the idea. I'd probably contribute up to something about 40$. My general rule is that I donate about 20$ to every homebrew project I find totally awesome (as long as I can afford it ;) ).
Let's think of some projects, first, and then make a poll to check the general interest in this. Then we should make a poll to see which projects are the ones the community has most interest in. This should probably not be an anonymous forum poll but another topic where everyone posts about how much money he would donate to which project. When we've got all that organized we can start collecting for the two or three most popular projects.

So, let's think of projects:
1. An awesome media player. By awesome I mean that it plays most video types such as PSP videos, iPod videos, most digital camera videos etc. This probably has to be pinned down in more detail. It should be open source and good controls would be important, too.
2. A perfect SNES emulator. I don't know how far we are from this as I haven't kept up with the recent developments but it's definately something many people want. Perfect meaning most game running at full speed with sound at a standard GP2X CPU speed (266 Mhz?). Most games would have to be defined. Possible would be a percentage, like 95% of the major games.
3. A 3D racing game with the same functionality as the PC classic Stunts with improved graphics, handling and enhanced modability such as making your own cars and track pices. Special rules for this one: The game can be sold for a price of up to 20$ (up to 30$ for the SD card version). However, everyone who donated 15$ or more will get a free copy. (They will, of course, not get the amount they donated more back.)

What I don't want to see as a project and why:
-A GBA/PS emulator. These will probably take a looong time to get to a playable state if at all. Also, the GBA is not dead, yet, and ZodTTD is already heavy at work on the PS emu so you can just give money to him if you want to support it.

How about an opengl implementation that uses the second core to do fixed point 3d, transparent to the ogl-using game that is linked to it?

I'd donate $20-40 for something funky. My fav things would be a CPC464 emulator (updated Caprice2x), and full speed SNES emu.

I noticed you wanted some sort of figures and I hadnt given any. I'd probably be willing to donate around $20 to things that caught my interest but I am pretty new and dont really know the capabilities of the GP2X so I cant make any suggestions.

From what people have said I would give money for a full speed snes or better video player. Or crimefighter(no source at the moment but i can dream).

I think this is a great idea (I am also an advocate for commercial dev releases :ph34r: ) since this will push the scene forward and, more importantly, create employment possibilities for wannabe devs and game designers.

I can imagine a website where a list of projects and current 'bounties' are listed. I think a poll could be a good first step ?

The biggest problem is probably going to be with QA issues.

Peace

I think the first step is collecting project ideas. We've got a few already but I'd like to see more to choose from. Maybe someone has some more good ideas?

I was thinking that some hardware projects may be nice to include also.
eg. battery, joystick mods etc.
what you guys think?

what you guys think?

To be honest, I think the bounty should solely be about software - mods are generally restrictive to those with the know how to do it, and the parts to make the mod - wheras software is freely available for everyone to download. I would see physical mods as a seperate project myself. Not to mention ther'd be a ton of "Buy me a GP2X" requests, and we'd have no idea if that'd work, as a bounty is rewarded after completion, not before.

what you guys think?

To be honest, I think the bounty should solely be about software - mods are generally restrictive to those with the know how to do it, and the parts to make the mod - wheras software is freely available for everyone to download. I would see physical mods as a seperate project myself. Not to mention ther'd be a ton of "Buy me a GP2X" requests, and we'd have no idea if that'd work, as a bounty is rewarded after completion, not before.
yea i suppose your right, its just that hardware is the only way i can contribute to the community, im not a good coder at all. but yea i would be willing to donate money to projects i find interesting :)

what you guys think?

yea i suppose your right, its just that hardware is the only way i can contribute to the community, im not a good coder at all. but yea i would be willing to donate money to projects i find interesting :)

Then feel free to add your software suggestions to this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=29209

:)

Back