The Hunt For The Ultimate Sd Price

when buying SD cards what class is reccomended? would 4 really be alot different from 6? does somebody have a speed chart or anything?
dont want to waste money on a high capacity card class 6 is theres only a second or so difference in speed.
hoping to get a 16gb card for main files and then a 8gb secondary card for my music depends tho we might all be using light to transfer files by the time the P is out lol :p (joking)
edit2: found something
SD HC Class 2: 2 MB/s - 13x
SD HC Class 4: 4 MB/s - 26x
SD HC Class 6: 6 MB/s - 40x

i heard that sd cards have a certain read and write limit? is this true?

edit: just found an awesome offer :eek: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-32GB-Class...K/dp/B001ASJK9S lol its new tech so to be expected

I think a thread like this is much too early (if you want to buy sd cards for a Pandora that is). Prices for 32Gb will surely drop and once the Pandora is available it will probably be half the price it is now.

If the cards you have seen are "really cheap", as you say, then they are almost certainly really fake. It is highly unlikely that an eBay seller is going to be selling at below-cost.
I would strongly advise you to read the articles that I link to in my signature. They will tell you everything you need to know about flash-memory on eBay, and why it should absolutely be avoided. The country of origin makes no difference - some sellers lie about their location, others dropship, and so on.

As for being unable to find negative feedback regarding fake flash media, that's because most people copy a text file or a couple of photographs to a device, think "Oh, that's ok then.", and then leave positive feedback, and it isn't until weeks or even months later that they learn there is a problem. In some cases people simply leave positive feedback right away just because the item arrived. Worse, sometimes sellers of fake media demand that people who have bought their items send the item back and change their negative feedbacks to positive ones, or they won't give them a refund (I am given to understand that in such cases, the buyers generally don't get refunds anyway - they just lose their evidence).

EDIT: Here are copies of the links in my signature, both for future reference should I change it in the future, and also for the benefit of those browsing with signatures deactivated;

SOSFakeFlash

Flash Drive Education 101

Flash Drive Education 102

What Are The Real Costs For Flash Chips In China? Guide 2009

H2testw 1.4 - Gold Standard In Detecting USB Counterfeit Drives

Also be sure to read a selection of the other pieces, and the alerts, on SOSFakeFlash. They are quite enlightening. :p

Thanks for that. I learnt alot. Its actually got be paranoid thinking that they can make a 4gb card say its 32gb on the card reader so you would only find out when you exceed 4gb and buy then it'll be too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a thread like this is much too early (if you want to buy sd cards for a Pandora that is). Prices for 32Gb will surely drop and once the Pandora is available it will probably be half the price it is now.
Except that's changing with the economy. Card prices have actually gone up since I purchased mine a few months ago. It's hard to say where exactly prices will fall when the Pandora ships.

I'm thinking bout picking up one or two of these now... looks good imo

SDHC 32GB class 6 $109 USD as of the time of this posting both sporting best benchmarks on the market right now,
Transcend is a little faster in the read whereas Sandisk wins in the write area but both are very marginal checked them both on tom's hardware before posting

Transcend 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208473

SanDisk ULTRA II 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820171359

Transcend SDHC 16GB class 6 $42 USD for the not so bleeding edge
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208410

I personally wouldn't advise purchasing flash media from third-party non-Amazon sellers on any of Amazon's websites, myself, unless you can be absolutely certain that the seller is providing genuine goods. There have been reports lately of fake flash media being sold via Amazon (the difference being that, unlike eBay, Amazon is reportedly willing to do something about it), so it's good to be wary.

(It's worth mentioning, as an aside, that whilst sometimes the saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably is." does sometimes apply to this sort of thing, sometimes fakes are sold for the same prices as the genuine article, and this appears to be on the increase, to the best of my knowledge.)

In summer 2006 I bought an sdcard on eBay that turned out to be fake - Nothing would read it, nothing would format it. Windows, linux, every device I could find with an sd slot, even my printer, couldn't read or format the damn card, and no, the slider wasn't set to read only :p

While this was long before the changes to eBay's policies that gave buyers a lot more power, the stories are real. Rarity of this happening? Beats me, I buy cards from Newegg nowadays.

While this was long before the changes to eBay's policies that gave buyers a lot more power, the stories are real.
What I understand from reading SOSFakeFlash and similar sites is that there is virtually no power in the buyer's court in such cases. :/

Rarity of this happening? Beats me, I buy cards from Newegg nowadays.

It's most likely like GBA and DS games on eBay - 99% or more are likely fakes. :blink: I'm with you on buying elsewhere, although I tend to buy from Play.com, since Newegg don't ship to where I am. :lol:

(I was lucky enough to learn of this stuff around 2004/2005, and as a result have never had to deal with it myself, but as you can probably see I think it's important to get the information about it out there so nobody else has to, too. :))

While this was long before the changes to eBay's policies that gave buyers a lot more power, the stories are real.
What I understand from reading SOSFakeFlash and similar sites is that there is virtually no power in the buyer's court in such cases. :/
What I meant by that was that eBay now does not let sellers leave negative feedback for buyers, so buyers have a lot more power in identifying bad sellers, as there is no threat of retalitory negative feedback. I bet the seller I bought the fake sdcard from would have had a lot of negs on his record if this hadn't happened in '06.

Ohh, yes, I see what you mean now. I'd forgotten that they'd done that, for some reason. :huh:

I'm going to wait until the Pandora is in my hands. Right now there are an increasing amount of 32 Gb brands available and on ebay the cheapest versions are appr. 60 Euro. The cheapest 16 GB is appr. 25 Euro so the price per GB is a bit higher on the 32GB version. I'm pretty sure we will see some price drops.
The price is not bad already and I like to buy 2 cards. 64 GB in my Pandora... sweet :)

I will wait until there are some reviews though, I just want to be sure which cards to pick.

US buyers only through 6/27:

I've seen a few Sandisk rebates being thrown around a lot of photo forums recently. Check the sites at the bottom of the second page for authorized dealers. Unfortunately no 32GB cards.

An example: Abes of Maine has Extreme III 8GB for $50 (USD) each, buy 3 get $90 off = $20 each. Better prices can be had for 8GB, but keep in mind these are 30MB/s. Maybe someone with more time can look for better sales at the applicable stores.

Extreme III card rebate:
http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/sandisk_062709.pdf

Ultra II card rebate:
http://www.abesofmaine.com/abeimg/rebates/...0promo%20hr.pdf

This question might have been asked already but is SDHC the same physical size as SD? Do the pandora slots also accept SD cards? I know SDHC are those above 4gb, but I was wondering to physical size and compatibility.

Back