The PawByte Codenamed "Flyght" Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's your decision, but don't expect much enthusiasm until you give us something to be enthusiastic about :)

Yes, you could us give some specs and a blurry picture of your console that would make us discuss and wait patiently until the 14th. and keep enough info to feed the event on the 14th.

or could you at least tells us what set it appart from other open source consoles? to me the niche is already well taken by the pandora on the high end side and the GCW on the low end, what does your console add to be interesting?

I love my smart and techy people here. 

I talked about the specs on this board long ago in August. Alot of things have changed and changing thus far. But here goes...

Prototype Stats

• Architecture: x86
  • Ram: 8GB
  • HardDrive: 64GB
  • GPU: GT 520
  • Output: HDMI
  • 2 USB Ports
  • OS. Custom Version of Arch Linux
Planned Stats for system

• 4-8GB RAM
  • Hopefully 1TB HardDrive
    Due to Online Game Store, Downloadable Game Media and save files.
[*]-DVD Drive(for game discs and DVDs of course)
  • We don't think we can outdo Sony in terms of price and quality for blueray right now...
[*]GPU/CPU undetermined yet
[*]Flash storage amount undetermined as well.
[*]HDMI and AV Output up to 1080p(unless something better comes out on other nextGen consoles)
[*]4-6 USB Ports
[*]WiFi and Ethernet
[*]Wireless support may be through Bluetooth or another method one of our engineers is proposing
[*]OS: Custom Version of Arch Linux
[*]-$Price undetermined

-Of course there are more specs, but we though those will be the most important ones to list here

-All of these specs are subject to change, but that is what we've been working towards.

For pricing we are considering between $150-$250.

Also we have been using a very ugly looking case for the prototype. Once we go actually have some decency to buy a new case, expect those glorious blurred images.

What are your suggestions?

Also, what other specs would you like to know about?

Last edited by a moderator:
How about inputs? I'm assuming if this is a console, it's going to have joysticks/joypads? Maybe an IR port for a remote control?

Otherwise this just sounds like a PC

It is quite similar to PCs, the way consoles are being made these days.

Joysticks and the plan is the standard up to four controllers, although we may change it to 7.

What is your software going to offer that can't already be (easily) achieved with a HTPC?

As far as I can see, if you are aiming for "NEXT GEN" with this hardware (GT520) I see your console as thin client for a cloud gaming On Live like solution.

ho, I was assuming a handheld... if you can really manage theses price it would be quite great. but personally I'm out of it, I've only time to play in the train.. and far too much money invested in consoles...

The current protoype used that graphics processor.

Also the GT 520 is capable of playing Diablo 3 apparently. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ITldX86ng5A#!

Don't expect to see Bungie's Destiny, but do expect to see great IPs anyway.

Also, we are allies with the GCW Zero and Open Pandora, so if you want a new Linux console that is what we're providing. Also Fields of Fresh works and will work on em all. 

The pandora and GCW provide non-standard hardware with preconfigured software to drive it

A normal PC setup is standard hardware, with relatively simple installation of standard software.

What does the pawbyte better than a HTPC?

I know amd h/w isn't the best for linux but it is a simpler solution for low cost console, an a10-5800k for $130, a10-5600k for $110. They should be capable of running most games 720p.

if it has to be nvidia, then a celeron g1610 and a gtx650, $40 and $100 respectively.

also for dvd/bluray, they are not expensive but maybe an external drive ala xbox 360 hddvd drive is a better solution.

Would it not make sense to make this capable of dualbooting android as a secondary os that would open this up to a wider market

Thank you all for the glorious feedback.

Let me begin replying to each one of you.

@Binky and @2bit, it is quite similar to the StemaBox, except it the 1st, 2nd and 3rd party games will be much different from what you currently see on steam. We plan on announcing a small list of lineup games.

@monstercameron I will look more into those GFX cards. Our prototype is there for the purpose of testing Arch Linux, the specs for it were just listed to keep you all in the loop. Also, the external harddrive is an option, just need to make sure its quick and simple to use.

@cazmiester, supporting dualbooting of Android would fragment our system's market. Also, we do not want to simply port Android games to TV, but we want to give gamers a unique experience than their tablet/smart phone fix. We are going to try to make the porting and creation process as simple as possible.

Thank you all for the glorious feedback.

Let me begin replying to each one of you.

@Binky and @2bit, it is quite similar to the StemaBox, except it the 1st, 2nd and 3rd party games will be much different from what you currently see on steam. We plan on announcing a small list of lineup games.

@monstercameron I will look more into those GFX cards. Our prototype is there for the purpose of testing Arch Linux, the specs for it were just listed to keep you all in the loop. Also, the external harddrive is an option, just need to make sure its quick and simple to use.

@cazmiester, supporting dualbooting of Android would fragment our system's market. Also, we do not want to simply port Android games to TV, but we want to give gamers a unique experience than their tablet/smart phone fix. We are going to try to make the porting and creation process as simple as possible.
I dont see how this would fragment your systems market the more os's a system has the bigger the interest if you ask me 

@cazmiester if they want Android, there are already two other Android consoles coming out. OpenPandora and the GCW Zero are not dual booting. The Android store is a total different creature than what we're going for here.

@comradekingu, well alot of stuff must be happening on the 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back