The PawByte Codenamed "Flyght" Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, many were a bit disgusted because they couldn't see the new PS4 case… but at least, they had the specs of the console!

Here you've given us the specs of the computer you're using to run arch linux, nothing more.

So don't expect us to get all fired up.

(and when we read that "you've got the blessing of the pandora makers" but can't find a proof of that, it's not in your favor)

Moreover, there are many competitors in the "new home consoles makers" sector : Ouya, Nvidia's project shield (it's more of a handheld, but since you can plug it into an HD tv…), steambox (even on home-made htpc) and all the chinese "android tv sticks".

If you're planning on making a simple x86(-64) computer with classic components, remember that people into opensource consoles are tech savvy. If they want a x86 & linux-based console, they can easily build a computer themselves and install OSes, then plug it to the TV.

And yeah, the "nextgen" website looks… <_<  meh, "orthogonal viewpoint" is not an excuse for "I messed up resizing the image"  :lol: . The only part looking good is the timeline that was more than probably was generated with beedocs software. (pretty nice soft, I have to admit)

Last edited by a moderator:
@vcoleiro and Kodeln

In regards to the specs, they are now available on our site http://nextgen.pawbyte.com

Please let us know if you wanted other specs. Also, we have not actually created the case for the system, but we do have a 3D model of how it will look.

We wanted to keep the box short, sweet and simple.

A 2D image of the controller is also available, the 3D model will be uploaded shortly, as we're still trying to ensure the ergonomics are right.

@Kodeln

The resized image will no longer haunt you. :D

Also thank you for your feedback on the timeline.

In regards to other consoles, we plan to be different in the arena of games. There aren't much other reasons to choose one console over another.

Let me know your feedback though please.

We have much new content we're adding to the site as I type. We've been quite busy but we hope to make you more happy soon.

@comradekingu

Yes, the current prototype is using X86_64

This is a nitpick, but 32GB suggests an SSD and not an HDD. You shouldn't use hard drive as a synonym for any kind of persistent storage, if that's what you're doing (hopefully that's the case and you're not using a 13 year old hard drive).

If you're really targeting something at or below $300 then dual core Intel CPU + discrete nVidia GPU shouldn't even be on your radar.

@monstercameron

Chase's ambition is trying to accomplish that, but that may lower to 1080p very soon.

@Exophase

Sorry for the vocabulary choice there, just wanted to make it sound simple for those who wonder that means. I shall change it to "Storage Space". Also, iwhat route do you think we should go for GPU/CPU?

Just uploaded a 3D model of the controller via Sketchlab. Please note, there are many changes that need to be made.

You can view and have fun with it here.

Why go to the expense of designing your own HTPC and game controller?

Rebranding standard general purpose hardware for a proprietary package management system seems nonsensical.

edit: broken link?

We aren't making a HTPC, we're building a console. 
A PC with a focus on visual and audible media, designed to be used with simplified HID's and UI displayed on a large screen a long way from the viewer?

Equates to the same thing <_<

That is a pretty vague definition. I wonder how would the current gen consoles not be called a HTPC...
Can you tell us what you see as being the differentiating aspects of your console over say a steam box or someone just buying a PC and putting linux on it?

Is there a price advantage , basically what are the compelling reasons you see people buying it for?

1)Our games

2)We want to distribute great games and with that comes us giving much service to developers, besides a simple SDK.

3)The proliferation of Open Source through our system, especially Linux

4)The Open Distribution model we want to give developers to power to them, but also ensure they don't screw over gamers.

There are more points I can speak about, but I hope those can satisfy for now. Checkout the timeline for some Pre-Easter Eggs.

1)Our games

2)We want to distribute great games and with that comes us giving much service to developers, besides a simple SDK.

3)The proliferation of Open Source through our system, especially Linux

4)The Open Distribution model we want to give developers to power to them, but also ensure they don't screw over gamers.

There are more points I can speak about, but I hope those can satisfy for now. Checkout the timeline for some Pre-Easter Eggs.
  1. Do you already have a library of addictive, fun, high-quality games?
  2. Devs can dev for x86_64 Linux already, what's going to be new?
  3. I got the impression you were marketing this at geeks (i.e. people who are already aware of linux/foss) Was I wrong?
  4. What's more open than generic hardware running standard software?

I'm going to be brutally blunt here. You guys could only barely raise $1000 to fund what looks like your biggest breakout game (speaking of which, if I were in your position I'd definitely be focusing on getting that out for its June promise date and not messing around with a console). So it's clear you don't have money and the prospects of getting anyone to buy hardware at what can't be a competitive price, to play your games, will be very low. The chances of getting an initiative to even build this thing on Kickstarter are not good, when lots of other more unique devices fail to meet their goals.

So does it really make sense to be promoting a console that you currently have no way to build let alone get people to buy?

Im not having any confidence instilled in me so far.
Good games are a must.not a diffrentiating factor for a console unless you have some serious exclusives or something.theres tons of consiles on the horizon now too. Id say youd need a serious plan for this to work.still lets see

@Binky

1)We are developing that now.

2)It's about gaming on the TV and a market for gaming.

3)We are maketing this to geeks, nerds, gamers, whoever has the zeal to lift up a controller or keyboard/mouse to kill zombies, rescue villages, kill princes, rate quit, etc.

4)We aren't trying to build a $600 machine, we're tryin to build a machine capable of playing good games, not 8K level graphics(hyperbole).

@Exophase

We are focusing on Fields of Fresh heavily right now, with that being said other people in our team can focus on what they specialize in, which is also making a system.

@Wrath of Khan

We have been striking deals and chatting with many developers about console exclusives and we do not plan to disappoint in that field.

We aren't a huge army of people, so we are doing our best to get each task done to ensure tons of good games are on the system.

If your stuff already works on OpenPandora it should not be much hassle to go on the TV via our Linux-based system.

We plan to upload tons of video, documents, code, etc by the end of March. Right now, we are focusing on finishing Fields of Fresh.

@Everyone else, we updated the site a little bit more, specs are slightly changed and we will strongly invite you to view the updated timeline and subscribe to our mailing list for bigger updates.

Nondescript PC hardware

Proprietary Arch-based Linux distro + package manager

None (or very few) exclusive high-quality games

Marketed at geeks who are already aware that you can plug a computer into a TV and play games on it.

I still don't see why people are going to buy this.

The pandora's selling point is that the hardware is unique, and the user environment is unique for a device of its size.

The Pawbyte doesn't have that advantage

Pawbyte hardware is standard, and installing arch on a PC is fairly easy.

Geeks will not be impressed by a veneer of 'just works'ness

I'm having a very hard time figuring out what this is:

1) Just spam.

2) A setup for some sort of con later on.

3) The developers really being as clueless as it appears.

I mean, it reminds me of nothing so much as a very, very shady "auction" I ended up on in a hole-in-the-wall place in London 15 years ago. "Ok, ok, we have these amazing things to bid on later people, ok, look over here, a CD player, and over here a VCR, and you can decide what you pay yourselves, OK, now, I have something secret here in this bag, what is it - you don't know, what do you want to bid for it, eh? To stay in the auction, you will need to bid now, OK, how many will give me a fiver for the Secret that's in the bag, look at these shelves here, with VCRs and televisions all round, do I have a fiver? A tenner? A tenner to stay in the auction! Who wants to stay in the auction for these things, raise your hands, yeah, thats right! Now, here..." And so on. Big con game.

And, yes, "Don't attribute to malice..." and so on, but I'm really debating with myself whether this farce should be allowed to go on. The news updates have at least convinced me to not click any link given by theweirdn8, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back